Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kaps (TEST)     15 November 2014

Annulment of marriage

Hi,

My friend has been married forcefully. Here is the situation currently.

She was married forcefully means she was pressurized from her parents and relatives for this marriage, she was not mentally fit because of the peer pressure to make a decision, though the force was not physical but it was mental and she was incapable of making right decision during that time. Their marriage happened on 3rd nov 2014 and she lived with the guy for 2 days. No physical relation happened during these 2 days and now they are living separately since then. 

She has asked him regarding separation and the guy has also said that he agrees to what she is saying and he will get separated. They were married in UP but now the girl is living in Chandigarh.  The guy will soon be leaving for his work place which is out of INDIA.

The marriage has not been registered.

Here are my questions 

1. Can we file annulment of marriage in this case as the marriage was forcefully done, Also can this be done by her only and then a notice be sent to the guy.

2. Can we file for annulment of marriage in chandigarh itself or it has to be done in same place where she was married.

3. Can we use phone call recording as a proof that the guy also does not want to live now with her.

4. How much time annulment of marriage take place and until when it can be filed.

5. Does annulment of marriage require both parties to be present or she can do it alone and can the notice be sent to the guy out of India to get his signature. 

6. In case he does not reply or attends the court date can the court still grant decision to nullify this marriage.

Please reply to the questions asap and please reply to the questions do not send extract on annulment of marriage law. I have check on the internet that delhi high court did pass a decision in favour of the girl for a similar type case.

Learning

9 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     15 November 2014

Dear Yes you can file, in Chandigarh u can file, court take its own time, presence is not required always but sometimes court may ask the other party's presence, yes ex-parte decree could be passed by the court.... Kapil chandna adv, 9899011450

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 November 2014

@Kaps: While posting a query in such public forums, you should maintain minimum courtesy.  You cannot demand a reply favoring you.  If you do not like somebody's views/opinions, just ignore it and proceed with others opinions which may be more meaningful and useful as per you. If you say that you already know the clarification through a similar case by a judgment passed by Delhi high court, what made you to ask the same question again here?, are you seeking second opinion or cross verifying the skill of the experts/advocates here?

However, I shall give my views to your queries:

If she feels that she has been forced to marriage or the marriage was against her interest, she can very well file a petition seeking annulment of her marriage by a decree.

Yes she can file in Chandigarh itself, if that is her place of residence now.

You cannot use the phone call recording now.

It depends, if he chooses to to not appear before court after receiving summons, the court may decide, if satisfied of proper service of summons to respondent, to set the respondent exparte on the next date of hearing itself, then the case will be concluded within a span of two months too, but if he chooses to contest, it may extend to years.

She will be petitioner, so for filing she alone will be required to be present, on receipt of summons he may be required to appear before the court either in person or though his lawyer if he decides to contest and challenge your case or if he prefers to stay back, he cannot be forced to appear.

Replied already in the above lines.

First of all thank you for replying and sorry if you felt wrong way, but I just wanted some second opinion on the same. 

I have one more query please reply to this as well:- 

1. What will the procedure to send the summons to him if he leaves India?

Once again thanks a lot for your reply.

Hello Kapil,

Are you from chandigarh? I can consult you on this case as we are also looking for a lawyer who would represent us. Or if you can provide any reference then that would be awesome.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     15 November 2014

If he is in India or abroad, what the court demands is the proper service of notice to him.  So, if he leaves the shore, you must have his correct address (if possible office address also) in the foreign land.  The court will ask you to send notice to his abroad address.  Once it will be received by him and he does not turn up to the court for the appointed day, the court may order for ex-parte and from then on, it is cake walk.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     15 November 2014

I am not a chandigarh based advocate.

He is in India currently but due to peer pressure from girls parents she can not go to court in few days and after that the guy would leave for off shore. We have the address for the same. Which is the best way to send the notice to him through courier or through registered post so that we can account for that it has been received by him in the court. 

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     16 November 2014

That does not be a problem.  She can file the petition in the court giving husband's foreign address.  The court will direct her that how the petition and  court notice has to be served on him, by courier, speed post etc.  she should send it through court only.  Once, you engage an advocate he will see the nitty-gritty of all these petty matters.  Once husband accepts the court notice and does not appear, she will get annulment decree.

1 Like

kaps (TEST)     16 November 2014

Thanks for your replies.

Another scenario, If she is not able to take the address from him or he refuses to give his foreign address can it be sent to his parental home in India where his parents are living. And will that qualify as the summons has been received and if he does not appear then it will be treated as ex-parte.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register