LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

prasanthivasu.n (accounts executive)     12 October 2014

Divorce advice. conjugal rights won by my husbhand

I got married in 2004 and I had brought a flat on loan for 16 lacs before my marriage. Trouble started when my Mother in law wanted to sell the flat and buy a new flat in my husband's name to follow "marumakatayam" custom by which all asset go to women  (sister in law) in Nair community. So they wanted son to have a property they wanted my flat to be sold and I had to give the money to my husband. I did not agree to it. Frequent quarrels were done and my husband beat me black and blue when I was 5 months pregnant. He is not a normal person. I have a show cause notice that he had jumped from second floor of his office. I had a baby boy. He has not made a single attempt to see my son till date.
I filed for divorce petition was Dec 2009.( I attended 4 court hearings)
My husbhand filed a RCR in Jan 2010 in the same court.
My divorce petition was dismissed for default and RCR granted to my husbhand and my divorce petition was exparte and RCR was granted to him on 19 Feb 2011. I could not attend the court as I was working in singapore.
Application was filed by me to restore my divorce petition along with condone delay in March 2011 and set aside the RCR won by my husband. Petition under section 13(1)(ia) (ib)has been filed by me.
Court notice served to him has returned back as he was not there.
I was able to attend court till August 2012 due to my job and my kid.
Again my application was dismissed for default in March 2013 as both parties were absent.
Again in November 2013 a new (IA) has been filed to restore my divorce application along with condone delay and set aside the RCR.Court notice was served and private notice was served to his office and home town address and it has returned back.
Now a new IA has been filed to restore my divorce and set aside the RCR .The judge gave him 5 times to file his counter and finally I have got his counter where he tells that the days calculated for condone delay is wrong and 5 years have elapsed since filing for divorce in 03.Dec 2009. kindly advice whether I will get divorce. I expected him to ask for visitation rights of my kid in his counter but he has not asked for it. Kindly advice if I will ever get divorce as he has won the RCR and now we have lived separately for past 7 years and he has not seen or spent a single rupee for my kid. How many more sitting will it take to get my divorce in chennai family court. These are the only details I know about my case. Kindly advice if possible with the facts given by me. I dont want maintenance for myself or my kid or any alimony or settlement.

Learning

8 Replies

Jimmy (Manager)     12 October 2014

If you file divorce on grounds of desertion, he will say that he never deserted you but were always asking to stay with you (RCR was filed by him). There is no showing of cruelty by him as the beating was a long time ago and you probably do not have any proof.  You were gainfully employed so you will be able to say that there was mental cruelty as you were mentally healthy. So, even if your divorce petition is restored after his opposition is overruled, I am not so sure that you will get divorce.  What you can do is to file divorce based upon irreconcilable differences, giving the history of the marriage, but this can only be granted by High Court or Supreme Court as the law has not been modified to allow this by the trial court as of now. Check with some good advocate on this subject.   

Deenupriya (--)     12 October 2014

If you are in Delhi you can contact my lawyer she is not only genius but have solution for every matrimonial problem especially for females . Her number is 9718983434 her name is Advocate Sophiya Salim

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     12 October 2014

@ Author,

1. Application of mind will be applied to his raised technical objection for which I cannot tell if it may be allowed or otherwise as full facts are specially known to you and not correctly mentioned such as when dismissal order passed (dd/mm/yyyy), when certified copies applied (dd/mm/yyyy), when certified copies received (dd/mm/yyyy), when delay condonation matter filed (even IA) (dd/mm/yyyy) etc. etc. 

2. In my opinion if matter is admitted and Service Notice issued then trial Court has accepted your right to file without going into delay condonation matter (IA) as that is to be argued by opposite party when he files his appearance and he has just done that by first raising preliminary objections. Unless that is removed the trial may not proceed further that is your IA to set aside will not be considered until then. 

3. As far as when you will get divorce question is concerned, I feel court relief bequest only a vigilant litigant. The history of your litigation is marred with delays on your side for whatever reasons which I do not want to observe here now but first get removed his preliminary objections and then resolve to diligently peruse the proceedings to get timely divorce is my current advice. 

4. As far as his desire or will to visit child or seek visitation etc. are concerned it is his rights which he can exercise anytime and based on facts read with welfare of minor of parties, Court then will sit on to decide if visitation to be granted or not. You cannot observe based on his past conduct that he should not be given visitation or complain about it in forum as no useful purpose it solves in your own benefit currently, but, this is exactly your mentored pitch which you then may peruse before the Court but as and when he makes one such claim and not now is my observation. 

5. So far as maintenance for child is concerned, no doubt it is non-custodial natural parent duty to either voluntary offer without raising a demand or if Court direct then meet the same when a demand via custodial parent (that is you) is raised and BTW, it is also your duty to raise such demands on behalf of the minor to seek maintenance, ir-respective if you were/are earning an income which I did not see in your long brief other than your minor complain that he has not seen nor paid single penny till date. See, custodial parent no matter earning or idle have moral obligation towards welfare of non-custodial / custodial minor as a minor cannot speak for h/er rights and being you custodial guardian (i.e. natural mother) even if you were working you should have raised such demands (maintenance for parties minor) and all Court would have then decided was based on earning income capacity of both parents and set an co-extensive amount (equally distributed – burdened) to both parents to meet parties child maintenance. That is law and you are just making a false (may be ignorant) cry of it is my view which is you have in past never raised via Court such maintenance demands as it is not even mentioned in your brief that you have raised any such demands via Court. 

6. His 2011 RCR decree has become defunct now and he has no useful protection case in hand out of such old Decree for a simple reason that RCR Decree has died un-natural death barred under Limitation Laws of the land, hence except to play the court – court in your divorce case he has nothing more to do enjoy himself with and he is doing exactly that. You cannot even now be allowed to file S. 13 (1A) (ii) HMA by withdrawing what all you are currently doing as your first divorce case was filed on 'mental cruelties' ground by you which till date you are trying to salvage by IA’s and or by Condonation delay application amongst others and meantime he has some 4 years ago already received ex part RCR decree in his favour which has remained un-executed till date which normally has to be executed in 1 year time as per Limitation Act. Moreover to seek divorce under S. 13 (1A) (ii) HMA by either party the limitation bar is 1 year and not 12 years as some people here may say pointing to S. 23 (1) (a) HMA. I am not touching question of 'civil wrongs' which may be raised by some people here as it is not at all material here for simple material facts; you first filed divorce under mental cruelties ground then it got dismissed and in between within next one month he files RCR and then you flew to Singapore means not attending to his RCR and meanwhile your divorce got dismissed and nor even pressing your divorce dismissal to salvage and then you filed set aside of his RCR and also attempted of reinstating of your dismissed divorce with some condonation delay application that also after 5 years and neither joined him in his RCR decree which all means you are continuing seeking relief of divorce on mental cruelties ground whereas your husband is winner of RCR decree which means he wants to live with you and all these are not your “civil wrongs” then what they are?. It is funny that now you come and say I want divorce under S. 13 (1A) (ii) HMA how on earth even Apex Court can grant you such divorce though provisions exists for both party to get divorce under this Clause, but this brief is having unusual material facts of all your ‘continuous civil wrongs’ continuing is my view. I am more confirmed about Limitation Bar that either party has, to seek divorce on non compliance of RCR decree in favour of one party as granted under provisions of S. 13 (1A) (ii) HMA.

7. Flip most of above paras, if you want divorce then pro-actively plead to concerned Court to precede parties case as per Law without adjournments and or in-ordinate delays. But, the case is currently struck due to his raising preliminary objections, so consult with an local advocate found via reference and after due diligence appoint his services to counter the preliminary objections thus raised by your husband on limitation so that the case actually goes for trial and if Court finds grounds appealing to grant divorce to you then she will proceed in accordance with Law to exactly do that, but all these are time consuming. Think of Mutual Consent Divorce by shedding your vulnerability and offering an open hand to your husband, who knows he may melt and grant you one parting gift – forget and forgive and move forward! In such kind of briefs multiple angles approach are tried. 

8. Suggested to calmly read the whole reply without becoming hyper-active as almost all above paras covers all your apprehensions – anxieties – court procedures – rights of parties – rights of natural father – maintenance rights of minor and then act in accordance with Law diligently following your own case then only you will get relief otherwise more dismissals, IA’s and set asides and condonation delay applications amongst other you will keep filing without actually making main plaint move an inch further !. 

9. Hence, in India it is aptly said, Family law litigation is full time affair of mind and not heart and yet still one party leaves the court dejected which is effects of adversarial Laws of the Common Law followed Countries such as India. So till such time enjoy court procedures as that is what is short-medium goal left to do?

10. If it helps then ATB.

ATB = All the best.

[Last reply]

G. Y. Sharma (Advocate)     12 October 2014

Dear Madam Prasanthivasu.n.,

I am not able to understand why you are so worried for obtaining divorce from your husband. The RCR Proceedings preferred by your husband are self-explanatory of his ill-intentions to get rid of you. Law is well settled that if a party to the proceeding particularly in a case of RCR does not come forward to comply with the RCR orders passed by the court of law, the party to such a proceeding can obtain divorce on such ground. So what I mean to say is better you wait and see what will happen if you do not contest the matters in the courts of law either for divorce or against RCR preferred by your husband. Incompatiability or desertion for a considerable long period or failure of husband to maintain his wife and child and all other matters incidental thereto can conveniently be agitated at your own convenience and choice. Why to worry now and incur huge sums of expenditure to roam arounds the courts of law. Think for a while and think once again.

For a more comprehensive suggestion, you are at liberty to contact me at the following address.

Truly yours,

G. YADAGIRI SHARMA,

M. Com., LL.M.,

G. AMRUTHA KUMARI,

M. Com., LL.M.,

ADVOCATES

H. No. 2-1-178/1, 100 Feet Road

Vidyaranyapuri, Hanumakonda.

WARANGAL DISTRICT – 506 001

*: 98 493 45 755 – *: 99 66 45 66 85

gysharmaadv@gmail.com

G. Y. Sharma (Advocate)     12 October 2014

Dear Madam Prasanthivasu.n.,

I am not able to understand why you are so worried for obtaining divorce from your husband. The RCR Proceedings preferred by your husband are self-explanatory of his ill-intentions to get rid of you. Law is well settled that if a party to the proceeding particularly in a case of RCR does not come forward to comply with the RCR orders passed by the court of law, the party to such a proceeding can obtain divorce on such ground. So what I mean to say is better you wait and see what will happen if you do not contest the matters in the courts of law either for divorce or against RCR preferred by your husband. Incompatiability or desertion for a considerable long period or failure of husband to maintain his wife and child and all other matters incidental thereto can conveniently be agitated at your own convenience and choice. Why to worry now and incur huge sums of expenditure to roam arounds the courts of law. Think for a while and think once again.

For a more comprehensive suggestion, you are at liberty to contact me at the following address.

Truly yours,

G. YADAGIRI SHARMA,

M. Com., LL.M.,

G. AMRUTHA KUMARI,

M. Com., LL.M.,

ADVOCATES

H. No. 2-1-178/1, 100 Feet Road

Vidyaranyapuri, Hanumakonda.

WARANGAL DISTRICT – 506 001

*: 98 493 45 755 – *: 99 66 45 66 85

gysharmaadv@gmail.com

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     12 October 2014

Ms. Prasanti, your divorce case is the easiest case any divorce lawyer would like to have and win the case and give divorce decree in your hand. I raised certain queries in another thread of yours and you responded in this fresh thread. Any how, I got answers and now I am in a position to give you very categorical reply to your case and that too in the most positive way that YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET DIVORCE. You do not need maintenance, you do not need permanent alimony and you do not need maintenance for your child. You want only divorce. Then it can be given. What the legal steps you were taking earlier were wrong one. You need not to ask for restoration of your divorce case, and you need not to file application to set aside his expartee RCR decree. You did not need to file condonation of delay and trying to find answers to his objections for condonation application. WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO READ SECTION 13-1A (ii)OF THE HINDU MARRIAGE ACT.

(1 A) Either party to a marriage, whether solemnized before or after the commencement of this Act, may also present a petition for the dissolution of the marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground—

(i) that there has been no resumption of cohabitation as between the parties to the marriage for a period of one year or upwards after the passing of a decree for judicial separation in a proceeding to which they were parties; or

(ii) that there has been no restitution of conjugal rights as between the parties to the marriage for a period of one year or upwards after the passing of a decree for restitution of conjugal rights in a proceeding to which they were parties.

The above section says, that if the husband has got RCR decree and the cohabitation has not become possible between the parties, one year after passing of the decree, one of the parties can file divorce petition on this ground. Now, my suggestion to you is withdraw your application for restoration of divorce case, condonation of delay application and also most importantly the application to set aside his RCR decree. Instead of that you file fresh divorce petition under Section 13 (1A)(ii) of Hindu Marriage Act. The inefficient and inadequate advocate will certainly raise hue and cry that is not possible on two grounds: The first ground is one should not take advantage of his /her own wrong to get the relief under Hindu Marriage Act (as per Section 23 (1)(a) and you are taking advantage of not properly contesting RCR and also for not cohabiting him after RCR decree was passed in his favour and hence you are not entitled to divorce decree. Next objection that would be raised by your advocate for not filing Section 13 IA(ii) be that you were the respondent in the RCR decree and only husband who got the RCR decree in his favour is entitled to file divorce under this section. Both these grounds are totally false and untenable. I can send a number of judgments on this particular point to prove that a respondent wife of RCR against whom RCR decree was passed could file divorce under Section 13 IA(ii) and can get divorce decree and nonresumption of cohabitation cannot be treated that the wife has taken advantage of her own fault. So, move forward in that direction and you will definitely get the divorce.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     18 October 2014

In my opinion learned advocate Mr.Chandrasekar has made the point very clear without allowing room for any more speculation  to the subject issue.  As rightly observed and advised by him, it will be better to follow his suggestion that you withdraw all your applications pending before the court and file a fresh case for dissolution of marriage under the referred provisions.  Many settled laws in this regard will come to your aid.  I agree and endorse his views.

1 Like

need advice (l)     18 October 2014

Moreover to seek divorce under S. 13 (1A) (ii) HMA by either party the limitation bar is 1 year and not 12 years as some people here may say pointing to S. 23 (1) (a) HMA. 

and how come other lawyers say you can file 

Instead of that you file fresh divorce petition under Section 13 (1A)(ii) of Hindu Marriage Act. 

explain about the above two sentences from two lr lawyers making difference of opinion ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register