LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vicky (Engg)     16 August 2014

Adultery by wife

Can you please let me know under which section we can punish a wife who does adultery? Here I am not asking for any work arounds like a adulterious wife cannot get maintenance or husband of adulterious wife can get divorce but what punishment we can give under Indian Law to wife who does adultery.

Learning

8 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     16 August 2014

There is no sections for a adulterious wife in the ipc , a woman can not be charged and penalised for adultery , adultery is a ground for divorce.
1 Like

Vicky (Engg)     16 August 2014

whether any of these sections - 500, 504, 506 & 508 applicable in this scenario.

Vicky (Engg)     17 August 2014

i have just came across 498 IPC -

Enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman.—Whoever takes or entices away any woman who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of any other man, from that man, or from any person having the care of her on behalf of that man, with intent that she may have illicit intercourse with any person, or conceals or detains with that intent any such woman, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.

Can anyone explain what it mean?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 August 2014

has someone kidnapped wife.

1 Like

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     17 August 2014

1. You can not take any legal action againt your wife for her act of adultery,

2. However, you can send her paramour, with whom she is induged with in adultery,  to jail very easily. 

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 August 2014

agreed with Mr Ganguly

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 August 2014

Don't be misguided by reading too much of things without understanding them properly.  Divorce on the grounds of adultery is the only relief for you and punishment for her.

1 Like

Vicky (Engg)     13 September 2014

thank you all for your inputs....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register