LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

reena (student)     13 May 2014

Name change in gazette

Hello Sir/Madam, i have been through gazette procedure for name change after which i had my passport issued with my new name.I got married recently and my spouse is working in USA and its been 2 years since he had applied for green card.The issue is with my birth certificate(with old name) which needs to be furnished while processing my green card.It would be very helpful to me if details are provided w.r.t:

1.procedure for name change in birth certificate in India (my birth records are not digitalised yet) and

2.is official gazette of India accepted in USA? Can the gazette notification be used as a supporting document to use my new name wherever applicable in USA?So can i use it as a supporting document to my birth certificate while applying to US Authorities?

Kindly reply.

Thank you.

Learning

9 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     14 May 2014

Gazette notificaation the prime document needs to be produced along with any application. Correction is notneeded in other documents.
1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 May 2014

If you have already effected your name change through official gazette, hope you will be having a copy of it in your possession, the gazette copy may be attached along with your certificates to prove that you have changed your name officially later on which has been authenticated vide the attached documentary proof.

1 Like

reena (student)     15 May 2014

Sir, thank you very much for the replies.The reason i am going for name change in birth certificate and B Tech certificates is that we are not sure whether Official Gazette of India is legally accepted in USA too.I have my passport issued with my new name whereas my certificates have old name.Can Gazette copy be used as an supporting document in USA too??

Kindly suggest on the same.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 May 2014

The gazette publication is a government issued document which has its own authenticity, if you keep suspecting on such issues you may not take anything for granted anywhere whether in India or abroad.  How did you get the idea that the Indian Government gazette will not be considered by US.  Every country has its own law and procedures for everything differing from the country.   It doesnt means they will insist only on the basis of their country's rule and regulations on each and everything should happen or to comply as per their own laws.  As advised, you may accompany the gazette copy along with your certificates, it will certainly be accepted or in the event of any other requirement by that country as per their local law, you may come back to this forum for further advise on the subject.

1 Like

reena (student)     16 May 2014

Sir, thank you for your response to my question. I appreciate the information you have provided me with and I appreciate the prompt reply. Thank you very much Sir for your valuable advice. Thanks for all your help.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 May 2014

You are welcome and thanks for your appreciation.

Yashbir Singh Dalal (executive)     28 May 2014

Dear Sir

My name is Yashbir Singh Dalal (DALAL is my Sir Name). Actually sir my problem is that my name in all my study certificates is YASHBIR and in my bank account and driving licence is YASHBIR SINGH but in my PAN Card name is YASHBIR SINGH DALAL means my full name with my Sir name. 

So i want to change my name from YASHBIR to YASHBIR SINGH DALAL legally. kindly guide me what is the process for the same with official gazette. and how much time it takes to final effect also fees for the same.

Thanks in advance

Rangee (Lawyer)     18 July 2014

Ms. Reena,

You have to apply for change of name in your B.Tech Certificates and Birth Certificates duly enclosing your Gazette Notification, otherwise you will be in problem in US. 

Yours

R.S.K.Singh

Rangee (Lawyer)     18 July 2014

Ms. Reena,

You have to apply for change of name in your B.Tech Certificates and Birth Certificates duly enclosing your Gazette Notification, otherwise you will be in problem in US. 

Yours

R.S.K.Singh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register