Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

HP (PC)     27 November 2013

Nullity of sapinda marriage

Need help urgently!

I have been married to my second cousin i.e. my father's cousin's (brother) daughter for the last 11 years. My father's father and my wife's father's father were brothers. We have a 10 year old daughter and our marriage is registered.

We have been facing marital problems for the past 5 years and haven't been living together for the last 3 months. My wife is not willing to agree for a mutual consent divorce. Below are my questions.

1. Can I apply for nullity of marriage based on the fact that we are sapindas to each other?

2. If so, what kind of evidence needs to be provided?

3. Can my wife claim maintenance even if the marriage gets nullified?

Thanks in advance. Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Learning

5 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     28 November 2013

1. I suggest you try to solve your problem amicabily as you had done delebrately wrong to marry with your cousin as you know the law , don't creat any aukward situation which create problem for you , think about your 10 years old daughter what impact will she get on her mind , for her sake call back your wife from her parents home . 2. To file for nullifing your marriage on the ground of marriage in between sapanda relation after 11 years of marriage, It shows your malafide intention against her and is also a ground against you under criminal law .
1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     28 November 2013

Yes, you can file a petition for null and void of your marriage due to sapinda relationship; 2) proof of sapinda relationship through relatives or any other witnesses; 3) Once there existed no marriage, question of maintenance does not arise but the child is entitled for maintenance u/s 24 of the Act.

HP (PC)     29 November 2013

Thanks for your valuable advice Mr. Kalaiselvan. I shall consult you personally further.

(Guest)

Hello.

Section 3 (f) (i) of the Hindu Marriage Act, states "sapinda relationship" with reference to any person extends as far as the third generation (inclusive) in the line of ascent through the mother, and the fifth (inclusive) in the line of ascent through the father, the line being traced upwards in each case from the person concerned, who is to be counted as the first generation; (ii) two persons are said to be "sapindas" of each other if one is a lineal ascendant of the other within the limits of sapinda relationship, or if they have a common lineal ascendant who is within the limits of sapinda relationship with reference to each of them. The provisions of Section 5(v) read with Section 3(f) of the Hindu Marriage Act (v) shows that their marriage would be void unless there is a custom in their community to the contrary. It is elementary that the onus of proving such a custom would necessarily lie on the party propounding it.

What is the burden of proof and how the burden of proof of a given fact is to be discharged under Sections 101, 102 and 103 of the Indian Evidence Act is thus: Section 101 - Burden of proof - Whoever desires any Court to give judgment as to any legal right or liability dependent on the existence of facts which he asserts, must prove that those facts exist. When a person is bound to prove the existence of any fact, it is said that the burden of proof lies on that person. Section 102 - On whom burden of proof lies - The burden of proof in a suit or proceeding lies on that person who would fail if no evidence at all were given on either side. Section 103 - Burden of proof as to particular fact - The burden of proof as to any particular fact lies on that person who wishes the Court to believe in its existence, unless it is provided by any law that the proof of that fact shall lie on any particular person. In Arun Laxmanrao Navalkar vs Meena Arun Navalkar, AIR 2006 Bom 342, the Bombay High Court considered the position of marriage between persons in sapinda relationship and stated that “Section 5(v) of the Hindu Marriage Act has indeed not only laid down merely that the marriage of the parties in sapinda relationship is void. It lays down that it would only be void unless there was a custom to the contrary.” Thus, if you are prove that there is no custom in your family which allows for sapinda relationship, then you can apply for nullity of the marriage under Section 11 of the Hindu Marriage Act on the ground of their relationship being sapinda relationship.

With regards to the question which now arises of whether the wife whose marriage is void under section 11 of the Act can claim maintenance from her husband of that void marriage, the Supreme Court has held that where a marriage is void, wife cannot claim maintenance under Sec 125 CrPC. (AIR 1988 Supreme Court 644). However it is a generally accepted rule that even in such cases, the wife is entitled to maintenance under sec. 18 of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act [(1985) 2 Hindu LR 425 : (1985) 2 DMC 251 (MP)] and also under section 24 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 [(1990) 2 Div Mat Cas 594 : (1991) 1 Hindu LR 56 (MP)]. Also, the wife can claim maintenance under the Domestic Violence Act. However, she cannot claim additional maintenance under the DV Act. The Delhi High Court in this regard held that the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 does not give a woman any additional right to claim maintenance from husband. 'If a woman living separate from her husband had already filed a suit claiming maintenance and after adjudication maintenance has been determined by a competent court, she does not have a right to claim additional maintenance under the act.’

Hope the information helps.

-Regards

Adv. Pooja

www.lawkonect.com

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     02 December 2013

YES. THE MARRIAGE CAN BE DECLARED NULL.  FURTHER YOU NEED NOT PAY THE MAINTENANCE ALSO FOR THE REASON THAT IF YOUR WIFE FINDS A PRUDENT LAWYER, YOU WILL BE PUT BEHIND THE BARS FOR NOT LESS THAN 10 YEARS ON THE CONCLUSIVE PROOF OF RAPE IN ADDITION TO FILING THE FALSE AFFIDAVIT BEFORE THE MARRIAGE REGISTRAR.  Now, Refer to Section 375 IPC, fourth descripttion, which says:

"With her consent, when the man knows that he is not her husband, and that her consent is given because she believes that he is another man to whom she is or believes herself to be lawfully married."

If it is so, it is rape as per IPC.  Her argument will be that you know it is sapinda relationship, but you gave false declaration for getting your marriage registered and had continuous physical relationship for not less than 11 years and gave birth to a girl child of 10 years at present and now to get rid of matrimonial obligations raised the bogey of null marriage on the ground of sapinda relationship.  If you want to rely on sapinda relationship for seeking decree of nullity, she has armoured the most lethal weapon of rape, justifiably and once her case is proved, you will be put behind the bars and you need not to pay maintenance.  Otherwise also, in such null marriages the wife and child will get permanent alimony and there are cases to such an extent.  When the Supreme Court is trying to find a way to provide financial succour to the some hapless victim women beseized in "livein relationships", there will be no question of denial of maintenace to a woman who genuinely believed a housewife and borne a child out of his wily husband.  I wish your wife will get a good advocate to protect her and child's interests. 

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register