Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ashishvidyarthi (engineer)     11 September 2013

Jurisdiction for modifying permanent alimony

Dear experts and friends pl. help me in following query;

Can the wife apply at her parental place (where she is currently residing, in different state) to enhance permanent alimony ,in case when husband is granted exparte divorce at matrimonial place and permanent alimony has been decreed along with divorce decree? Or  is she .required to file petition under sec 25 in  the.family court granting divorce decree?There is no change in relevant circumstances.

regards ASHISH

Learning

8 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     11 September 2013

Originally posted by : ashishvidyarthi
  XXX
Can the wife apply at her parental place (where she is currently residing, in different state) to enhance permanent alimony ,in case when husband is granted exparte divorce at matrimonial place and permanent alimony has been decreed along with divorce decree? Or  is she .required to file petition under sec 25 in  the.family court granting divorce decree?There is no change in relevant circumstances.

1.    Only ex – part divorce could have been granted and not permanent alimony too to husband in the absence of any application for permanent alimony under S. 25 HMA from wife’s side.

2.    For permanent alimony she can file under S. 125 CrPC in her home city District Court and not necessarily she has to apply u/s 25 HMA in same Family Court which granted her husband ex part divorce which is in another State, though usage of Civil laws finally adjudicates her permanent maintenance claims.

3.    She has also option to set aside the ex part divorce decree.

1 Like

Thanks a lot  Tajobs sir you have been so helpful as usual.

One more query in continuation of my previous post.  If wife later wants to file a petition under section25 hma for final adjudication of her maint.rights can this also be done at family court in her parental place?

Regards ASHISH

1. To your second query before me the clear reply is NO
2. She cannot be allowed to use S. 25 HMA in her jurisdiction as it is hit by bar of jurisdiction based on facts mentioned in yours first and second query before me.

1 Like

Tajobs sir I am getting confused by opening line of sec 25'

any court exercising jurisdiction under the act may'

"25Permanent alimony and maintenance. (1) Any court exercising jurisdiction under this Act may, at the time of passing any decree or at any time subsequent thereto, on application made to it for the purpose by either the wife or the husband, as the case may be, order that the respondent shall 1[ pay to the applicant for her or his maintenance and support such gross sum or such monthly or periodical sum for a term not exceeding the life of the applicant as, having regard to the respondent' s own income and other property, if any, the income and other property of the applicant, 2[ the conduct of the parties and other circumstances of the case], it may seem to the court to be just, and any such payment may be secured, if necessary, by a charge on the immovable property of the respondent"

Is it that sec 25 petition can be presented only to the court passing divorce decree? or is it that claims subsequent to decree  are not admissible?your kind help is requested again.

Regards ASHISH

@ Author,

Sure I can help you, but let me see how much you also understand my replies, hence here are basic two questions which you reply first then I will make you understand import of verbatim S. 25 HMA mentioned in your third post ;

Question 1: Let us go back to your first post, I underlined a sentence from your post. Can you clarify to me how come your Court after giving you ex part decree in your own divorce case even gave verdict on permanent alimony too and mind it you are using word ex-part? Can you clarify all these in simple wordings?

Question 2: I would like to know how much you understand meaning of word and phrase “Jurisdiction’ in Civil laws?

The moment you reply back I will reply to your third query too i.e. by late night as I have to go now for a conference call. 

1 Like

This  blank post has been submitted by mistake.

admin. is requested to pl. delete it

Originally posted by : Tajobsindia

@ Author,

Sure I can help you, but let me see how much you also understand my replies, hence here are basic two questions which you reply first then I will make you understand import of verbatim S. 25 HMA mentioned in your third post ;

Question 1: Let us go back to your first post, I underlined a sentence from your post. Can you clarify to me how come your Court after giving you ex part decree in your own divorce case even gave verdict on permanent alimony too and mind it you are using word ex-part? Can you clarify all these in simple wordings?

Question 2: I would like to know how much you understand meaning of word and phrase “Jurisdiction’ in Civil laws?

The moment you reply back I will reply to your third query too i.e. by late night as I have to go now for a conference call.

Tajobs sir this was a query in anticipation based on erroneous understanding of sec25.

Actually I am mid way through divorce case filed by me at matrimonial place. notice has been duly served but wife never turnedup for any hearing so case has been placed for exparte hearing three months back.

.Hence exparte decree is expected soon. I am intrigued by her no contest as her brother is lawyer

and so she is not expected to make legally unsound moves.I was trying to understand her motive and intent behind her non appearance. I know that she wants quick divorce with huge lumpsum compensation, thats why talks on MCD could not make headway. I was wrongly presuming that court will grant her alimony on its own while decreeing divorce, based on my salary slip.After your reply and going through sec 25 again I now realize that court can grant her alimony only on petition by her to same effect and not without. Its also logical because final determination of her maint rights can not be done without her representation as I may be concealing income from other properties and other relevant facts.Going through 2003 amendment of sec19 and opening line of sec25 I concluded that family court at her parental place also has jurisdiction for sec25 petition after divorce decree is passed at matrimonial place.

I think your question 1 is answered.

Regarding question 2 I am a novice in law matters and my understanding of jurisdiction is limited to dictionary meaning viz. 'right to exercise legal authority'

Thanks for not spoon feeding me and forcing me to think.Finally I conclude that in my case'exparte divorce will be granted with issue of permanent alimony remaining unsettled. It will be open for her, in case she remains absent to later file sec25 petition either at the court decreeing divorce or at family court at her parental place.'Kindly confirm if I have got it right this time or not.

Thanks for being patient with me

Regards

ASHISH

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     12 September 2013

1. Yes you nearly get the meaning out of your own questions. But, she has to file S. 25 HMA only in the Court which granted ex part divorce and not in a Family Court at her parents place as in your brief you plan to seek ex part decree from a Court situated at your place of residence which is not same as your wife's ordinary residence, pleading in the concerned Court this is your jurisdiction hence local trial Court is powered enough to proceed in the case.
2. But never be sure that one will get ex part decree in reference to context so easily as huge responsibility rests on concerned Court to grant or proceed ahead in a ex part case.  I have seen ex part divorce cases reopened even after 4 - 7 years!
3. Do research on S. 125 CrPC as in presented brief wife is stated to be living in a different State and she can invoke it anytime if finds it difficult to sustain daily living costs.
[Last reply]

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register