LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     16 May 2013

Proposed amendments in Section 125 CrPC

Proposed Amendment in Criminal Procedure Code section 125 - Order for Maintenance of Wives, Children and Parents

1. Do Indian youth think Marriage is Domestic Violence on Men! 

2. Quote your legal arguments maintaining decency in such discussions?

3. What is your take if such amendments is applied retrospectively?

4. Do you think such cash rewards for metro wives are called 'WOMEN EMPOWERNMENT' by Government of India?

Note:-
Read annexure PDF document over weekend and then welcome to discuss your ‘controlled’ opinions if any.

Source: 
National Commission of Women Annual Report 2010 - 2011

Annexure - 7 Criminal Procedure Code section 125-Order for Maintenance of Wives, Children and Parents, Page 204-221

Learning

21 Replies

fighting back (exec)     17 May 2013

@TAjobs, very good piece of information,, i have read it very briefly, it is another nail in the coffin of husbands,

especially on the point where, the ability of wife to work should not be taken into account, only her present source of income be taken, if yes or no, if no pay maintainence, it wont matter how highly educated she is and how able bodied she is......:((

(Guest)

^ ^ ^

Tajobs >>>> Thank you. 

^ ^ ^

NPNG

Its a boxing match before there was a head gear available to lessen the impact of the blows and punches.

Now the head gear is removed and the opponent [wife] has been given a extra privileges of showing her kick boxing skills.

So the husband is just left with a pair of gloves, and mind you you cannot punch back, it will amount to domestic violence :-))

fighting back (exec)     17 May 2013

@TAjobs...has this proposed amendment been taken up for discussion in parliament??? as there has no new about this in the media....i guess might have missed it.....

Never Give Up (Fighter)     17 May 2013

My arguement is not legal one, but only option out is to earn only what is necessary to survive.

Dont work hard, although you can party hard :-) ..

Let the other party run pillar to post to put all the income proofs to get maintenance.

Pura nichhod lo husband ko fir bhi kutch nahi milega ..fir ek subah aayegi jab biwi bolegi chalo abhi bahut ho gaya yeh sala alsi hai kutch kam nahi karta hai kutch saving nahi hai aur bolegi muje talak chahiye and then husband oblige :-)  I think if this exercise can be done for 3-5 years things will come swiftly for settlement. Your comments please ..

Instead of encouraging citizens to work harder, they are busy in making such laws which will lead to generations to be lazy. I love my I-ndia !

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     17 May 2013

Originally posted by : no pain no gain....

@TAjobs...has this proposed amendment been taken up for discussion in parliament??? as there has no new about this in the media....i guess might have missed it.....

“When a lioness is in front of you, you think she will not attack you or eat you as kitty party snacks just because you are vegetarian is a funny paradox. Hence be REACTIVE with ACTIVENESS instead of asking is it debated in Parliament as yet and next someone funny will ask is it passed yet and still the next chap will ask how to save my back as I heard this is a Law and meanwhile everyone forgets that one should kill a snake before it even lifts its head."

Parliamentarian when discusses Family Bills they donot speak of this Section or that Section of Law – Bare Acts (that is briefed by some clerk in Ministry of Law and Justice) they speak generic as to how society especially women are suffering eg. just because husband asks her to produce her salary slip or another eg. how she suffers because some ld. Judges buys the persuasive argument of husband’s side that she being educated should work etc. etc.

Hence take pain in downloading the Bill and speak laymen’s language how it is going to effect you- a common husband for a simple fact you are facing these Laws not us and no need to wait if Parliament is discussing it or some media Channel is going to call you for debates or he appeared in such and such Channel short change thinking.

Suggested  approach (with copy of your comments here in LCI) is;

To,
Mr. Hon’ble Minster
XXX
XXX

I read WCD Ministries Annual Report 2011 page such and such and I am a married Indian and I feel I have right to put forward my say which are against such recommendations based on larger social reasons;

….blah….blah..blah….
….blah….blah..blah….
….blah….blah..blah….

Hence, kindly for larger public interest I feel for betterment of Indian society it will benefit if

such and such,
such and such,
such and such

recommendations which is what majority of common men in the society feels about the recommendations and request to incorporated them as comments from member of civil society as and when such recommendations sees through Hon’ble Parliament debates.

Further to above comments on WCD’s Annual Report 2011 I request your good office to acknowledge this comment letter sent by a member of civil society as per your convenience without need arising to submit an Application under RTI, 2005.

Sincerely,

Sd/
Common man

So you one of the member of LCI give your comments here a social media public forum after downloading Report and then reading pages from the Report instead of asking such future questions. Don’t repeat the mistakes which your parents committed by keeping quite to S. 498a IPC some 23 years back and letting it passed. All they could have done was to send letters to Minister stating
"Sir we live in a Society where there are 800 common families cohabiting peacefully and we never heard among us any such dowry demand cruelties arising from a single family hence we feel such Amendments are not conducive to growth of general society instead it will increase blah blah blah..."

This is your time to stop such recommendations even before sent to Parliament for discussion at all by commenting in public boards. Choice is yours what Family Law gift you want to give to your children from present acrimonious marriage or after re-marriage.

1 Like

(Guest)

First there was a 125 crpc... HMA.etc

Then they added 498a.  Once filed, cannot be taken back, so unending tours to court halls, bails, jail, court all this sums up as more fees to the lawyer, not just the one who filed but to that lawyer who wants to bring out his client clean like a rin white.

Now as if that was not enough.  They introduced PWDVA.  Result?  More fees to lawyers.

Now they are bringing ammendments to what 125 crpc? Huh.  Some more fees to lawyers.

All these laws are made not keeping in mind the Indian family set up but to facilitate more earnings for lawyers.  More number of stupid laws, more number of years roaming to court, more the fees one pays to the lawyer.

satya prakash (Clerk)     19 May 2013

Huhhh

This is called legal terrorism quite strange & disappointing already wife has so many provisions to Extort money now why is this? Looks like IrBM fails then NCW is trying for this new Weapon. Whatever it is but at the person who marry should be considered as begger.

Wife is troubling indian husband doing law misuse on top of these amendment surely husband dont have anyother way other thn suicide

Mango (Consultant)     19 May 2013

Referring to "Tajobsindia" Sir's second post, does anyone know the postal address where this information can be sent i.e Honorable minister's name/address? Sorry for asking such a silly question but does not have any clue where to get this information. I can make a petition out of it and get some 50-100 signatures on it.

Just want to know whom should I send this letter to, I mean postal address.

Mango

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     19 May 2013

To,
Sh. Kapil Sibal,
Hon'ble Minister of Law & Justice,
Ministry of Law and Justice,
4th Floor, A-Wing,
Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi-110 001.

To
Ms. Mamta Sharma,
Chairperson, 
National Commission for Women.
4, Deen Dayal Upadhayaya Marg,
New Delhi-110 002. 

To.
Smt. Krishna Tirath,
Hon’ble Minister of State (independant Charge) 
Women and Child Development Ministry ,
Shastri Bhawan, A - Wing, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road,
New Delhi,110001.

To
Mr. Justice D. K. Jain
Former Judge, Chairman.
Law Commission of India, 14th Floor, Hindustan Times House,
Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi – 110 001.

1 Like

Heartfelt thanks to Tajobsindia Sir....  This is what I could think-off and write... Could not able to control my emotions while writing this (though Respected Sir asked for ‘controlled’ opinions)... Any amendments in this is most welcome...

Respected Sir,

This letter is with respect to proposed Amendment in Criminal Procedure Code section 125-Order for Maintenance of Wives, Children and Parents referenced in National Commission of Women (NCW) Annual Report 2010 – 2011, Annexure - 7, Page 204-221. After going through the said report, we (Indian Citizens) feel, we have right to put forward our say which are against such recommendations based on larger social reasons.

The Domestic Violence Act, 2005 is totally biased in favor of the wife, which already violates the fundamental right of Indian citizen i.e. Right to Equality in the eyes of law. The more amendments in this law will make Indian Males suffer and thus will lead towards to the western culture i.e. live-in relationship and “not my kid” problem. In metros, the role of wife and mother hallowed and revered by Domestic Violence/498a Act. Many young women today have rejected marriage and motherhood in the shed of maintenance and alimony. Marriage has now become a betting-spot where the amount is setup based on the income/background of a husband. Relationship cannot be built under the fear of law.  

Nowadays, especially in metros, wives torture their spouses and in-laws mentally and physically. Elderly in-laws have no protection under DV Act, which has become a tool for the extortion of money from husbands and in-laws. We all are aware about the facts it happening at quite large pace. We were quite because we still have faith in the Indian Judicial System that believe that system will bring some gender-neutral amendments to rectify the problems created by biased laws.

The growth of feminism and consumerism is responsible for steady erosion of family in India, which is completely backed-up by such biased laws. We strongly protest against the following amendments in the domestic violence act –

-      “Unable to maintain” would mean the absence of actual separate income earned by the claimant and not the possibility of the claimant being able to earn by securing employment.

-      In today’s society, husband and wife are granted with equal opportunities in their work environment. Employer chooses the employees with no regard to s*x, s*xual orientation, race, cultural background, age, health conditions; this affords everyone an equal chance to earn the employment based on their qualifications. When we have equal opportunities in private and government organizations then why the husband is bound to pay a part of his income to support the estranged working wife. When one law says that treat everything equal (discard of s*x, s*xual orientation, race, cultural background, age, health conditions, etc.) then why we are making such amendments to make it unequal again.

-      “Estate” includes personal income, assests, income from fixed deposits, shares and DMAT accounts details, rents and commission, bond, details of sale and purchase of immovable properties.

-      If husband has NO income to survive and even the small commission and interest is calculated as part of his income then how in the future, husband would be able to stand on his feet. Why parents and relatives will go and ask a boy who is earning handsomely to go and marry a girl? When knowing that each penny of his income would be calculated in the court case. Why husband will focus on savings and investment. We are Indian families who focus much on savings and investments to secure the future of next generation; Bringing this amendments will only turn the focus of current generation.

-      125 (4) No wife shall be entitled to receive an allowance for the maintenance or the interim maintenance and expense of proceedings, as the case may be from her husband under this section if she is living with adultery, or if, without any sufficient reason, she refuse to live with her, husband, or if they are living separately by mutual consent.

-      The proposed amendment/bill is to delete the whole sub section (4), which I (Indian Citizen) feel that it complete injustice to Indian husbands. If a wife is living in adultery or is not living with her husband without any sufficient reason then on what moral grounds Indian husband should be bound to pay the allowance. If a woman is living in adultery that itself it a criminal offence and deleting this paragraph does not make any moral sense.

-      126 (2) Any such allowance for the maintenance or interim maintenance and expenses shall be payable from the date of the application for maintenance or interim maintenance and expense of proceedings, as the case may be.

-      The proposed amendment/bill is to pay is as per the date of application. We know that it will not be far when “first day” of marriage would be spent in the court to avoid being late in filing the application. This will make the marriages more costly to husband and there will be no further scope of marriages in India. I hope by making such amendments we are not killing the marriages itself instead of violence.

-      126 (6) On proof that any wife in whose favor an order has been made under this section is living in adultery or that without sufficient reason she refuses to live with her husband, or that they are living separately by mutual consent, the Magistrate shall cancel the order. In case the allegation on wife for “living on adultery” is not proved, husband is liable to pay compensation to wife.

-      In real life, it’s not possible for a husband or even boyfriend to videotape the adult action performed by his wife or read the dirty conversation between wife and husband and keeps it safe. While doing the amendments one should not forget the emotional torture a husband has already gone through.  If a husband failed to videotape or record the dirty chat of wife’s adultery then he should not be ordered to compensate to wife. In DV case itself, if a woman is not able to prove anything then she is not charged with anything. Why such rules are only making for male not for females.

Hence, kindly for larger public interest I feel for betterment of Indian society it will benefit if

-      Some amendment to have some scope for husbands or their family member to appeal. Make it gender-neutral laws.

Recommendations which is what majority of common men in the society feels about the recommendations and request to incorporated them as comments from member of civil society as and when such recommendations sees through Hon’ble Parliament debates.

Further to above comments on WCD’s Annual Report 2011 I request your good office to acknowledge this comment letter sent by a member of civil society as per your convenience without need arising to submit an Application under RTI, 2005.

Sincerely,

Sd/
Indian Citizen

Attached File : 73896907 petition.docx downloaded: 69 times

ashoksrivastava (scientist)     19 May 2013

Tajobs sir My suggestion is that definition of wife in 125(4)b should be changed . At present it reads as ' "Wife" includes a woman who has been divorced by, or has obtained a divorce from, her husband and has not remarried'. It should be changed to

' "Wife" includes a woman who has obtained a divorce from her husband and has not remarried, but does not include a woman who has been divorced by her husband on grounds of cruelty,desertion or adultery'. At present there is an anomaly between hma hmaa and crpc 125 esp. after apex court judgement in Rohtas Singh vs Ramendri devi case. While at present a hindu  undivorced wife is ineligible for maint. under hma, hmaa or even crpc125 if she is found guilty of cruelty, desertion or adultery, she becomes eligible for maint under crpc125 the moment husband is forced to divorce her due to non fullfilment by her of her marital obligations.( desertion cruelty adultery etc). As Apex court has noted in Rohtas Singh's case that after divorce a wife is not under any obligation to fulfill her marital duties But husband continues to be duty bound after divorce to mantain his divorced wife till her remarriage, if she is unable to maintain herself (whatever be the ground of divorce) due to crpc125{4)b. This provision and its definition of wife rewards the guilty wife for not fulfilling her duties and punishes the innocent ,dutiful husband, which goes against principles of natural justice. It destroys the very institution of marriage because it promotes the thinking among deviant wives with ulterior motive that let me desert the husband for a few years and let him get fedup and take exparte divorce. No need to worry about maint or defending divorce case. Crpc 125 will take care of every thing later at the place where I choose to live. There is an urgent need to align crpc 125(atleast for hindu wives) with the thinking in HMA Sec 23.1.a(No spouse should be allowed to take advantage of his/her own wrong). regards ASHOK

ashoksrivastava @ Thanks for bringing up this point. After reading your comment, it seems to me that you are asking for make an amendments but here we are fighting against the proposed gender-baised amendments" put-forward by WCD.

We can file an seperate petition for gender-free law and bring-up this point... Let me know if my understanding is incorrect on your comment...

Mango

Mango (Consultant)     20 May 2013

Any other suggestions from anyone in this forum...

Mango

maxx (pvt service)     21 May 2013

@mango.....i feel we need to raise this  in the media too. need to mail a copy to the media so that this can be discussed openly....what do u say???

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register