Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

INDIAN CITIZEN (Research Scholar)     03 November 2012

What law says about reverse dowry in tribal society...?

Dear All

I got to know that in some tribal society there is reverse dowry system. Means; groom party gives dowry to bride party. On the base of amount of dowry  many grooms are rejected. In such societies women  are dominated . In many family I found that  male have little role in overall functioning.

In such case, in what way dowry prohibition act and domestic violence act will be applicable?

kindly give your valuable views

Thanks and regards

Rajeev

Learning

4 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     04 November 2012

1. Customary practices hence such tribes don’t go to police station or donot walk jungles and rivers to nearest Court, they simply reject the MAN as outcast whose parallel you find in Vrindavan and Benaras.

2 Like

Ranee....... (NA)     04 November 2012

not only dowry, they have bigamy ,poligamy etc etc...:D

stanley (Freedom)     05 November 2012

In meghalaya too the practise continues .

INDIAN CITIZEN (Research Scholar)     06 November 2012

Dear   sir

thanks for attempting this query. about social situations/conditions, it is well known that they easily outcast men. It is right that there prevalence of polygamy and multiple relations.

Since Hindu marriage act-1955 doesn't apply on them.  But provisions of  Cr.P code and IPC 1860 apply.

And Dowry prohibition act is also regardless of personal laws so far as I know. Here again my query remain the same. In this era,when education is spreading especially in region like Meghalaya. Women empowerment, Legal awareness etc... then definetely applicability of some law will emerge.

My query remains the same... what is applicability of law such as Dowry prohibition, domestic violence etc?

All members are requested to  give their valuable contribution in purview of law citing variaous HC/SC judgements etc.

Thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register