LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rahul (articleship )     01 November 2012

Query regarding associate membership /power of attorny

i am living in cop housing society....my mom is old now mostly stay in village n house is in her name....i want to knw can i through associate membership or power of attorny can i work in maneging committe !! do sign n work as secretary or chairmen ?? plz suggest  the procedure thk u 

Learning

7 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 November 2012

Are you in Maharashtra?  This reply is valid only if you are in Maharashtra

You can become Associate Member with your mother's written consent. Under the Model Byelaws, which is followed by most Co-operative Housing Societies in Maharashtra and under the Act, an Associate Member can only vote at a General Body meeting, if the primary member is not present. He has no other powers and hence he cannot become a Managing Committee member.

However the Maharashtra Co-operative Societies Act, 1960 says that an Associate Member can have such other powers as may be conferred by the byelaws of the Society. Hence if the byelaws of your Society allow an Associate Member to become Managing Committee member, you can stand for election to the Managing Committee.

1 Like

UJAS DHARAMSHI (Corporate Lawyer)     01 November 2012

Absolutely agree with Dr. Ramani.

rahul (articleship )     01 November 2012

yes iam from mumbai maharashtra....what is the procedure to become associate memeber ??

i got this inf from net ....
"An individual, firm, company or a body corporate registered under any law for the time being in force who/which is eligible to be an associate member and who/which has made an application in the prescribed form for such membership along with an entrance fee of Rs 100/- may be admitted as such member by the committee."

where i will get the form n to whom i shld submit plz tel the procedure ..thk u

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     03 November 2012

Your Society may be having the forms. Otherwise you can get the form from the office of Maharashtra Co-operative Federation. It is in Vikas Premises on Gen.Vaidya Marg. It is one of the roads around Horniman Circle. There are two types of forms. One to be used when a Member and an Associate Member jointly apply for membership. The second one is to be used when a person wants to join as Associate Member to a person who is already a member. You will have to use the second form.

Ameet (Manager)     03 February 2013

Can a non-member be elected as a Managing Committee Members and subsequently after 6 months fill the form of Associate Members. Is this move valid as per the Maharashtra Cooperative Society Act Byelaws.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     03 February 2013

Neither an outsider (non-member) nor an Associate Member is eligible to serve on the Managing Committee of a Co-operative Housing Society.

If such a thing happens, any member of the Society can complain to the Deputy Registrar having jurisdiction over the area in which the Society is situated. If he does not take action further complaint can be made to higher authorities.

Ameet (Manager)     04 February 2013

Thanks for a prompt reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register