Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kiranmayee (software programmer)     12 September 2012

Dowry act

Hi,

I am a dowry victim. My brother-in-law has taken my stridhan 10 lakhs at the time our engagement saying that in 1 year he will divide the joint property (of my husband, brother-in-laws) and give our share in 1 year. He told that they have some borrowings on the joint agricultural land he asked us to use this 10 lakhs amount in the joint and within 1 year he will give our share. Like that he took my stridhan. It been 5 years of our marriage he neither he gave our share nor my stridhan.
And my husband and me are living separately since 3 years. we have 3 and half years old kid. My husband is also money minded and he is not doing job and harrassing me for my salary. In-laws are harrased me for my salary to put into in the joint family. I have put my salary around 4 lakhs in joint family not bearing their harrasment.

I have asked my brother-in-law my stridhan several times. We have a cheque proof of 10 lakhs given to him. But he refuged to give that money.

What steps i need to take to send him to jail. If he is convicted how many years he will be sentenced to jail. Please Guide me. 

Regards

Dowry Victim

Learning

3 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     12 September 2012

Dear Querist,

Your brother in law is clearly liable for criminal breach of trust u/s 406 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860. You entrusted your Istridhan to him and he misappropriated it or converted the same to his own use. File an FIR and prosecute him. 

Good Luck !

Adv. Bharat Chugh

1 Like

kiranmayee (software programmer)     12 September 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for your reply. Please clarify the below queries.

1. whether court orders him to return my streedhan and my belongings. If so can i get principal and interest of streedhan?

2.what will be the punishment for my brother-in-law after returning my streedhan.

3. what to do if he refused to return the streedhan in court also. like i have used that money and i don't have money to give like that.

Please advice.

Regards,
Kiran

kiranmayee (software programmer)     14 September 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for your reply. Please clarify the below queries.

1. whether court orders him to return my streedhan and my belongings. If so can i get principal and interest of streedhan?

2.what will be the punishment for my brother-in-law after returning my streedhan.

3. what to do if he refused to return the streedhan in court also. like i have used that money and i don't have money to give like that.

Please advice.

Regards,
Kiran

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register