LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mentally Depressed (will tell you later)     10 August 2012

Whether case of dowry prohibition act can filed aginst giver

My sister in law has filed case of Dowry Hrassment againat me and my family..In FIR its mentioned that during time of marraige cash, ornaments worths of lahs were given as gift(NO LIST HAS BEEN MADE)..The session court has granted us Anticipatory bail as it failed to specify who has demanded dowry during and after marraige and in what shape?..Though the allegations are very vague to settle scores..My query is whether case of Dowry Prohibition Act can be filed aginst them as they has forcibly given gifts/articles to show their symbolic status to their relatives which has not been demanded us?..Kindly inform at what convenient stage its needs to be filed?

Learning

3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     10 August 2012

Giver and receiver both are accused in the eyes of law

1 Like

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     10 August 2012

The law now punishes dowry givers and takers equally, with a jail term of at least five years and a fine of Rs 15,000 or the value of the dowry, whichever is higher. But despite the law, many families across the social strata continue to seek and give dowry during marriages.

The amendments will for the first time treat dowry givers as victims and not offenders if they voluntarily inform the police about it.

1 Like

Human (MRA)     10 August 2012

Absolutely Correct what Rama Ji said.

DP3 is a double edged sword but then, unfortunately as per the Law Makers, it seldom falls on the Dowry givers.

Be very careful while using it.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register