Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

deepa (housewife)     31 July 2012

False498a

hi,

i am married woman with a happy content small family..disturbed by the nightmarish events of a false 498a lodged against my bother,my parents and myself..it is lodged by my sis in law who lives in a small town in A.p.and we reside in Bangalore..and parents also are from bangalore and live in a seperate house which is nearly 30kms from my house.my sisin law has left to her parents house on her own accord to her parents place 6months back on feb3 to her mother's place along with her younger brother and his friend/relative and all the neighbours are ready to certify us that she went by herself happily as she had said her byes to everyone and informed people that she is going to a function and after 6 months she files a 498a and a 506 ipc..i have few points to disscuss

1)she filed an fir after nearly five months in staying in her parents house,the details in fir like name and age also r wrong.

2) two dates given by the complaintee r in bangalore and 1 in her hometown

3)in the date she has given 506 and 498a i have evidences which are solid to show that i was surely not there

4)they sent an ac innova and 5 policemen accompainied by her brother and got my bother arrested early hours and sent him to jail for 10days

5)bails were very tight with relatives with property cluase ..

6)myself and parents got anticipatory bails with condition to stay for 11 days and sign in police station

7) charge sheet is yet not filed despite being more that a montha nd half

so we want to know what can be done next?we are having a lawyer in that place who is suggesting settlement which we are not interseted because  it  is obviousily framed ..do help us as to what has to be done

Learning

7 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     31 July 2012

Never go in for a settlement, bowing down to their extortionate tactics won't help you, stand your ground, if you have got bail, the worst is already over, fight the case diligently, do the following :-

1. Bring your side of the story to the notice of IO, by making a representation that would aid him in the investigation and reaching the correct conclusion as regards your guilt or innocense.

2. Contemplate quashing of the FIR u/s 482 of CrPC if the allegations are patently malicious and baseless. 

READ - on how to fight a false 498a ? 

“For men in India marriage is a lottery but you can’t tear up your ticket even if you lose…” and it’s not just you who would have to live with the lost lottery but your entire family may have to suffer at the hands of a system so grossly skewed in favour of women.

Marriages may fall apart for a lot of reasons, temperamental issues, compatibility problems, but does that make you an offender in the eyes of law? Yes it does, your estranged wife in order to have her way in arm-twisting you may implicate you and your family in end number of false cases, 498A being the foremost.

498A penalizes cruelty for dowry, almost always comes alongwith S.406 Allegations which basically penalize the criminal breach of trust, when your wife’s articles are entrusted to you and you fail to return them back – misappropriate them or convert them to own use – you are criminally liable !. By aid of S.34 of the Indian Penal Code – your family/relatives can be held liable for the same if they share the common intention with you.

Now if you think that you have a wife who can potentially do this for money or the kicks that her ego gets out of the same or pure vengeance then you are my friend in a vulnerable situation, but there is a silver lining to this, there are legal strategies that may help minimize, if not completely rule out, the damage or mischief that may occur to you.

Being a Supreme Court Advocate and a Mens Rights Activist I speak from experience, the following things may(if done correctly) help in a lot of cases :-

1. Insist on a dowry-less marriage – Preparing of list of articles received at the time of marriage, countersigned by both the families, would help rule out exaggerated claims later !

2. Digging the well before the fire starts; when trouble starts at home you apprise all concerned of the problems that you are facing, not for the purposes of any action but information;

If you see things going awry in near future, then it would be good idea to seperate from parents to a rented house with sufficient public notices;

3. As per the prevailing law atleast here in Delhi, if your wife approaches a Police Station with her complaint, she is to be forwarded CAW CELL instituted to try and reconcile and investigate and act as buffers so that penal actions are not inititated right away. Once the matter goes to CAW Cell – apply for an anticipatory bail , you are sure to get notice bail atleast – this would help in two ways :-

a) Give you greater confidence, level playing field in the CAW Cell talks;

b) Prevent any hasty arrest on failure of conciliation;

All in all nothing to lose in this and in this step 1. Would help a great deal.

4. Seek a copy of complaint via RTI ASAP, since they deny at the first instance you’d have to appeal therefrom which may take some time. There are CIC Decisions that would help you here.

5. In the event of an FIR being registered apply for AB again, and quashing of FIR (not always depends on the kind of allegations leveled)

6. Filing Restitution of Conjugal Rights (case that you want her back) may help in some cases, but not in all. Sometimes it helps in defending maintenance cases, and showing your bona fides.

7. Keep a check on your wife’s finances. Would come handy defending maintenance cases.

8. Prosecution (S.340 CrpC) for perjury in cases of false & exaggerated claims in maintenance petitions.

9. Tax Evasion Petitions once you get the List of Istridhan may also help put pressure.

10. Dowry Prohibition Act – penalizes giving of dowry so in case there is a clear admission of DOWRY (not Istridhan) then in that case your in laws are also liable to be prosecuted. Think on these lines !

11. With a marital property law on the anvil, don’t buy property in your name, much less jointly with spouse.

The above may go a great deal helping you defend correctly, my advise would be to stand your ground, don’t give in to their extortionate tactics, once you’d get an AB the worst would already be over and after that the judicial system with it’s endemic delays won’t treat your wife differently, sooner or later she would realize that frivolous litigation doesn’t pay !

The Author is a Supreme Court Advocate, and a Mens Rights Activist and can be reached at bharat.law06@gmail.com, Tel : 9810553252.

deepa (housewife)     01 August 2012

Hi,

Thanks  a lot ..we are planning to file for quashing in hyderabad ..

warm ragards

Deepa

Varinder Malik (Advocate)     01 August 2012

In case of this natura police may file Final report within 60 days, If u r staying in a separate house produce the proof before the h.c in a quashing petition. Get the photo affidavits from person who may testify that she left 5 months ago but let me tell u that 5 months delay is not fatal......u may take the plea of alibi that u have nothing to do with the domestic relation of ur bro and sis in law.

1 Like

Albert Shaw (Advocate)     01 August 2012

go in for quashing of your case in HC since you have sufficient proof that you were staying in a separate house and that the allegations put against you are false. 

1 Like

deepa (housewife)     02 August 2012

Hi

thanks everyone for the replies...i have a few more doubts can someone clear it for me..

1)how long does it take to quash a false 498a against me as i have sufficient proofs to show that i dnt stay with my brother and the dates given by my sis inlaw that i have gone to her native and assualted her amounting to 498a and 506 i have flight tickets on that day ..that i was no where in a.p.

2)after the case is quashed further what actions can i take against the injustice done to me..because i had to stay in an unknown place in a hotel with two little kids and my husband who had to take leave from his office to stay and sign for 11days for my anticipatory bail in the police station..

3)they intiated an f.i.r when my husband was out of india and my brother was arrested and taken in to custody ,my parents running around him ..we were also in danger of being arrested so we had to go in hiding with my two little kids till we got anticipatory bails..so all the mental agony i had to go through and the suffering my children had to go through..what justice can be done?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     15 August 2012

First of all do not ignore the advise of your lawyer to try for settlement.  He is probably advising so on humanitarian consideration because such settlement may result in end of the case and end of his fee that he will earn for remaining many years. He has to earn the cost of a flat  from your family for fighting till Supreme Court.

You perhaps do not visualize the cost of attending the case from Bangalore to AP on each day, each accused.

There appears to be some facts which not discussed by you but speak out from your descripttion ;-

(i) She has to use the family function as a pretext to go to parental house which indicates that getting out of your house was not an easy affair for her.

(ii) This does not happen that a woman visiting parental house suddenly decides to file 498a case just like buying new saree.  Such decision is conscious and with heavy heart at the cost of risk of final breakage of marriage.  So there is bound to be some trouble brewing out (it is not necessary that your family may be solely responsible)  but onus of proof is on you.

(iii) A married daughter of family residing just 30 Km away [in this country some women attend to there duties even at 60/70 Km daily] is not much of distance and physical presence is not necessary for the accused to commit dowry demand and domestic violence.

One cannot ignore that fat that strong male dominant society ha compelled the establishment to enact such laws.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register