LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Determined to get justice (Manager)     17 July 2012

Child whereabouts unknown

My sister in law (brother's wife) has filed false criminal cases at CAW Delhi against my brother, aged parents, elder (married) sister, her husband and myself (unmarried elder sister).

My brother has already attended one meeting with her at CAW cell few weeks ago. Another meeting is scheduled some days later. Latest/recent development is that my sister in law has sent away their 11 month old daughter somewhere and is not disclosing her whereabouts to my brother. He and all of us are very worried about my niece's well being and safety. My sister in law was never in favour of having a child as she feels this is impediment to her lifestyle and job and in initial months of pregnancy had asked to abort the child on several occasions.

what recourse is available to my brother to ensure welfare and safety of his daughter?

Learning

9 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     17 July 2012

1. As regards the custody of the child, your brother should file a case for custody or visitation rights. 

2. CAW Cell proceedings would take a while, and if a solution does not come then there is a chance of registration of FIR, it is advisable to seek a notice bail, at this stage itself, which would help prevent & pre-empt in case of possible arrest, and secondly - it would put you at a very strong bargaining position during concilliation sessions, and you won't be arm-twisted into doing things or giving in to their extortionate demands under threat of arrest. 

3. Read this article that I've wrote for families like you. 

How to fight a false 498A ? A common husband’s guide.Image

“For men in India marriage is a lottery but you can’t tear up your ticket even if you lose…” and it’s not just you who would have to live with the lost lottery but your entire family may have to suffer at the hands of a system so grossly skewed in favour of women.

Marriages may fall apart for a lot of reasons, temperamental issues, compatibility problems, but does that make you an offender in the eyes of law? Yes it does, your estranged wife in order to have her way in arm-twisting you may implicate you and your family in end number of false cases, 498A being the foremost.

498A penalizes cruelty for dowry, almost always comes alongwith S.406 Allegations which basically penalize the criminal breach of trust, when your wife’s articles are entrusted to you and you fail to return them back – misappropriate them or convert them to own use – you are criminally liable !. By aid of S.34 of the Indian Penal Code – your family/relatives can be held liable for the same if they share the common intention with you.

Now if you think that you have a wife who can potentially do this for money or the kicks that her ego gets out of the same or pure vengeance then you are my friend in a vulnerable situation, but there is a silver lining to this, there are legal strategies that may help minimize, if not completely rule out, the damage or mischief that may occur to you.

Being a Supreme Court Advocate and a Mens Rights Activist I speak from experience, the following things may(if done correctly) help in a lot of cases :-

1. Insist on a dowry-less marriage – Preparing of list of articles received at the time of marriage, countersigned by both the families, would help rule out exaggerated claims later !

2. Digging the well before the fire starts; when trouble starts at home you apprise all concerned of the problems that you are facing, not for the purposes of any action but information;

If you see things going awry in near future, then it would be good idea to seperate from parents to a rented house with sufficient public notices;

3. As per the prevailing law atleast here in Delhi, if your wife approaches a Police Station with her complaint, she is to be forwarded CAW CELL instituted to try and reconcile and investigate and act as buffers so that penal actions are not inititated right away. Once the matter goes to CAW Cell – apply for an anticipatory bail , you are sure to get notice bail atleast – this would help in two ways :-

a) Give you greater confidence, level playing field in the CAW Cell talks;

b) Prevent any hasty arrest on failure of conciliation;

All in all nothing to lose in this and in this step 1. Would help a great deal.

4. Seek a copy of complaint via RTI ASAP, since they deny at the first instance you’d have to appeal therefrom which may take some time. There are CIC Decisions that would help you here.

5. In the event of an FIR being registered apply for AB again, and quashing of FIR (not always depends on the kind of allegations leveled)

6. Filing Restitution of Conjugal Rights (case that you want her back) may help in some cases, but not in all. Sometimes it helps in defending maintenance cases, and showing your bona fides.

7. Keep a check on your wife’s finances. Would come handy defending maintenance cases.

8. Prosecution (S.340 CrpC) for perjury in cases of false & exaggerated claims in maintenance petitions.

9. Tax Evasion Petitions once you get the List of Istridhan may also help put pressure.

10. Dowry Prohibition Act – penalizes giving of dowry so in case there is a clear admission of DOWRY (not Istridhan) then in that case your in laws are also liable to be prosecuted. Think on these lines !

11. With a marital property law on the anvil, don’t buy property in your name, much less jointly with spouse.

The above may go a great deal helping you defend correctly, my advise would be to stand your ground, don’t give in to their extortionate tactics, once you’d get an AB the worst would already be over and after that the judicial system with it’s endemic delays won’t treat your wife differently, sooner or later she would realize that frivolous litigation doesn’t pay !

The Author is a Supreme Court Advocate, and a Mens Rights Activist and can be reached at bharat.law06@gmail.com, Tel : 9810553252.

1 Like

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     17 July 2012

Originally posted by : Harassed

Latest / recent development is that my sister in law has sent away their 11 month old daughter somewhere and is not disclosing her whereabouts to my brother. He and all of us are very worried about my niece's well being and safety. My sister in law was never in favour of having a child as she feels this is impediment to her lifestyle and job and in initial months of pregnancy had asked to abort the child on several occasions.
what recourse is available to my brother to ensure welfare and safety of his daughter?

@ Author,

I am replying to your missing child query and not touching other facts.

Do one thing first; clear apprehension otherwise in most of the cases of wife leaving matrimonial home with child more or less same apprehension is alleged by natural father.

How?

Make friends first with biwi ke ghar mei kaam karney wali bai se! [get friendly with wife’s house maid first] And her to confirm if any 11 months old child at home or not.

2. Once clarified that no child is living at all at home then immediately file HCP at HC for production of child and simultaneously also file a Guardianship Petition seeking visitation followed by custody of child suit matter. Appoint an advocate via reference / search LCI databas eof lawyers for the same.

3. A child of this age cannot be left in somebody else care / custody by your wife at all / when she is alive.

stanley (Freedom)     17 July 2012

Hi harased , 

Stay calm and have patience .Nowdays its become a trend for some females to file false cases like 498 A or Domestic violence to dominate the male and sudue him into getting their demands met  . This is just the beginning in the meanwhile you can tell your brother to file for chid custody. and nobody can stop him in getting child custody or visitation rights as he is the natural Father .   

Thank you, Tajobsindia. What if my sister in law claims (alongwith all the other lies she has claimed!) that she has sent the child away (maybe to her parents' house) becuase she fears for the child's life/security?

Originally posted by : Harassed

Thank you, Tajobsindia. What if my sister in law claims (alongwith all the other lies she has claimed!) that she has sent the child away (maybe to her parents' house) becuase she fears for the child's life/security?

1. What if the child is sent to her advocates home to take care of as it is most safe place on earth in terms of child safety / security from her own natural father!

2. What if the child is given on adoption (oral) to a foreigner couple living in
India
!

3. What if the child is at orphanage !

4. What if the chidl is living with your wife's maid !

Any other question you have in mind please state them before I actually reply to your one and only one question!

BTW, that is what happens if natural father thinks too much and tries to find self answers too. Is natural father interested in child safety / security or just going fishing about whereabouts of child since he has not seen child being brought to CAW cell mediation?

The question that natural father should be asking is "is he comfortable if his child is living at any other place other than h/er own natural father's home from where he was removed?"

Tajobsindia - that is my one and only one question. And to answer ur qt:
"is he comfortable if his child is living at any other place other
than h/er own natural father's home from where he was removed?"

the answer is " no. The child is too young to be deprived of the love
and affection of both parents. At least uptil now, she was with her
mother, so there was some solace. but it is totally unfair on an
innocent baby who cannot even speak to be uprooted from everything and
evrey person she knows and trusts and be thrust away in some strange
place with people she is unfamiliar with".

Never Give Up (Fighter)     17 July 2012

My Non legal reply which i followed in my meetings at CAW for 498A.

I clearly told to IO , call me for mediation only if my wife brings my kid along. If she doesnt bring kid with her, i will walk out straight away. Do whatever you want . If you want to file FIR , then file it. i will fight it out in court. I dont mind going to Jail.  

P.S. I am not lawyer, just fellow fighter and a father who miss his kid. And yes above mentioned thing worked in my case and i get to see my little angel after really long time.

Never Give Up (Fighter)     17 July 2012

As they says, "Action causes more fortune than caution".

File for child visitation immediately and fight it with full force. LCI experts are there to help.

@ Author,

ha ha partially you are comfortable except you want to see where the needle was made hence doing a intellectual
masturbation fishing exercise now ! before asking questions you also should think where the line of thoughts are leading your mind into; negativity or positivism and self calling “I’m the only harassed and victim” male here is not right medal a male husband should self give himself at CAW chai pani stage.

Above crude rejoinder apart either you mentally admit that the child should only be with h/er mother or with you. The moment you think of a middle path you will get confused. Now to solve your worries see at CAW cell the child should not be brought is generic parental sense. Now you have to find out if the child is living with mother or with in-laws. If mother then it is your case if you want to file for visitation / custody bze next time you will again come here telling us that mother is not allowing visitation of child! If child is with in-laws then you have to again decide if you like child being brought up there or not. If not then file
HCP in HC and let the child be produced atleast you will get a chance to see / meet / play for few hr(s). with child, off course child of that age can’t speak to tell you where he is being brought up at. But that itself is great relief during start of acrimonious litigation pre stage for  fathers missing their child. Later on you can make up your mind for visitation / child custody suits or via CAW reconciliation bring your wife herself back to her matrimonial home whatever it comes to. But first movers always gain advantage in matrimonial cases is my constant stand. Rest other experts have given great wisdom to your post.

I close my views now on your asked facts take this generic reply as you feel comfortable understanding its inner meaning.   

-----------------------
@ Never Give Up

Wow..... t
hat is a gr8 morale booster for author of this thread injected by you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register