LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pooja (student)     05 July 2012

He is trying to break the engagement

He said he will no marry me after a month of our engagement.He said that because of parents force only he accepted to marry me and now he is saying that he went into deep depression and he is showing medical certificates for that.I know that he is pretending.He asked me to break the engagement.Now i do not want to marry him,but i want to teach him a lesson.His parents have taken dowry from our parents before engagement itself.I have the proofs also.Now can i legally punish him?If so if i approach a police station and file a complaint will they accept and arrest him immediately?Under which sections i can file a complaint?If they come to know that i am going to police station they may arrange for bail and get out.But i want to teach a lesson to those buggers who played with my life.I do not want to leave them.Please help me.
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

Can any body tell art498A be used before marriage and after engagement?Can i file a cheating case for his immediate arrest?

Learning

10 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     05 July 2012

Yes there have been many cases where 498A/406/417 (Cheating) cases have been filed even before marriage when the groom side have called off the marriage due to demands of dowry. 

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     05 July 2012

@ Pooja,

Here is your inspiration

https://www.notablebiographies.com/news/Sh-Z/Sharma-Nisha.html 

All the best !

Rakesh (Advocate)     05 July 2012

See i wont suggest you to do anything being a lawyer and a human being.  Remedy is available under IPC but you should not act like that. Be positive and think positive. Once you proceed with Criminal Complaint, the same will be decide in 2 to 3 years and you had to suffer for the same. So as per my opinion leave it completely and say thanx to God to save your life.

Rakesh (Advocate)     05 July 2012

See i wont suggest you to do anything being a lawyer and a human being.  Remedy is available under IPC but you should not act like that. Be positive and think positive. Once you proceed with Criminal Complaint, the same will be decide in 2 to 3 years and you had to suffer for the same. So as per my opinion leave it completely and say thanx to God for saving and protecting your life.

abhishek (advocate)     05 July 2012

agree with mr rakesh and u should ask them to return all ur stuff, if they denied to do so than only u shud approach court

shalini (software engineer)     06 July 2012

Completely agree with rakesh. Getting settled with a good guy should be yoru focus at this time rather than taking a revange with a person who you hardly know.  PLEASE MAKE YOUR INTENTIONS CLEAR IN YOUR LIFE....Women life is hard after marriage so enjoy your before marriage time ......

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     07 July 2012

Move on in life Pooja.

Better ask them to return your things and that should be all.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor
harassed.by.498a@gmail.com
1 Like

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     07 July 2012

@ Pooja,

Its natural that you would like to teach him a lesson. You can file criminal complaint against him...true. But why waste your precious life  and peace of mind over such a person??? Thank God that he had saved you from entering into matrimonial relationship which such a guy..... What would have happened if he had told you after marriage, that he married you only becoz of his parent's pressure? Demand all the dowry, money, whatever your side have given to them till now. If he gives it back, don't waste your time in filing and pursuing any case and just find some good guy and get married.

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     07 July 2012

By the above post I absolutely do not mean to say that one should suffer injustice.... but some times it is wiser to let go and move ahead bcoz filing cases will keep the chapter alive in your mind which you could have ended so easily and after all you will lose your own peace of mind. So better, get all your dowry back, forget everything, let go and move on.

Raj.K (Manager)     08 July 2012

I would recommend to go with the good advices given by experts here:) If they are calling out of engagement then they need to return what is given to them and even you need to payback what is given to you:)...

And being educated girl one should also know that law - everyone even most illiterate now a days know - both taking and even GIVING DOWRY IS ALSO CRIME as per law!!! Why do you give dowry for marrying someone? Educated woman should first learn to stand on their own, make their place in society and then think of marrying someone who are against dowry..there are plenty nowadays:)

Hope atleast next alliance you will not give any dowry and save indian families:)

All the best.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register