Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sudipalipurd (None)     22 June 2012

Wife giving threats of committing suicide

Hi All...

My Wife giving me regular threats of committing suicide to me and my family....what to do in this kind of situation? Please help....as i'm going through a terrible mental situation.

Thnx in advance.

:(

Learning

7 Replies

M.Sheik Mohammed Ali (advocate)     22 June 2012

very simple when will she tell the that cooked up story that time you record video or audio record after that you make police complaint, if you wish to get pshyclogical treatment.

MRRpersonality (Knows very little about Indian laws)     22 June 2012

There is typically an issue behind those threats.  Try to find out the root cause.  She may also need to be taken to a psychiatrist for counselling and evaluation, as soon as possible.   This could simply be a medical problem.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     22 June 2012

Agreed with the above responds and especially that of MRRpersonality.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     22 June 2012

@ Author,

There are two ways to seek help by you in your presented facts before us;

One – She is suffering with border line personality and actually such BPD people 1 in 10 do commit suicide if not immediately helped. There is a English saying “you can lead a horse to hole but cannot make a horse drink” which may in times to come squarely fit to your presented briefs if social ways are followed for too long. A married lady in India is like rivers of Ganga whose infectious flow is difficult to control socially in today’s times is my observation on this brief.

Two – If above cause of action was too social to your taste moreover coming from me then there is yet another English saying “
The one great principle of English law is to make business for itself" Keeping the fine English mens spirit alive I add here the actual law which more squarely fits in your briefs and one day you will need this Law J
;

Repeated threats to commit suicide is a ground for divorce, the Supreme Court ruled on Friday (dated: 30th Sep 2011) and dissolved the marriage of a couple from Punjab after the husband proved that he was traumatized by his wife's incessant suicide threats.

A bench of Justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan said: "Giving repeated threats to commit suicide amounts to cruelty. When such a thing is repeated in the form of sign or gesture, no spouse can live peacefully."

The court departed from judiciary's traditionally lenient approach towards an estranged wife mainly because of the glaring facts of mental and physical hardship and humiliation faced by Pankaj Mahajan at the hands of his wife Dimple.

The trial court had granted divorce to Mahajan in April 2006, but the
Punjab and Haryana High Court by its August 6, 2009
order set aside the divorce decree.

Appearing for the husband, senior advocate Nidesh Gupta placed material to prove before the apex court that Dimple used to give repeated threats to commit suicide. On one occasion, she also tried to commit suicide by jumping from the terrace.

Accepting his arguments, the bench said cruelty in marriage meant that the treatment meted out by one spouse made the other apprehend danger to his life and limb while living in a conjugal relationship.

"The acts of the respondent wife are of such quality or magnitude and consequence as to cause pain, agony and suffering to the appellant husband which amounted to cruelty in matrimonial law," said Justice Sathasivam, writing the judgment for the bench.

Making out 12 grounds of cruel behaviour on the wife's part, the bench said: "She caused grave mental cruelty to him and it is not possible for the parties to live with each other, therefore, a decree of divorce deserves to be granted in favour of the husband."

The court directed the husband to pay Rs 2 lakhs to the wife and deposit Rs 3 lakhs in the name of the couple's minor daughter, who is living with the mother.

Addendum:
Sir now what do you finally like to seek from me the social or the legal way out? If social then state your wife’s city I will mention in next reply contact details of well known local Psychiatrists whom to be shown and if legal then whistle up like a smart Indian man, I will pop up full text of above Judgment from Apex Court to build a case around it keeping espirits of English traditions alive – The conscious choice is left to you now !

1 Like

MRRpersonality (Knows very little about Indian laws)     22 June 2012

@Tajobsindia:  I like your post.  I want to know your approach to the issue where such threats happen between 4 walls.  Or for that matter, any such verbal cruelty.  Recording is probably an option, but you are not carrying with a spy cam or recording box all the time.  Or you advise every husband to carry such instruments ?   When the spouse jumps from the balcony, yes, you can produce medical records or witnesses.  In general how does one approach to cruelty like repeated "I will take the daughter away, go to my mom's and make you pay maintenance for the rest of your life" ?

Majority of the problems lie under your "One" above, a sort of borderline personality or bi-polar disease.  A proper evaluation by psychiatrist and efforts to treat such issue have two outcomes.  1. She has been cured and 2. She has not been cured.  If she has been cured, go celebrate and live happily ever after.  If she has not been cured, then you have medical evidence for such issue.  Yes, there could be a third possibility that she has been cured, but not really been cured.  

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     22 June 2012

@ MRRPersonality,

The query is directed to legal professionals for solution and not to medical professionals. From the comforts of armchair yes even I can write more than your second para one two and three conclusions as moot questions but reality of spouses in such situations are poles apart. BPD even as evidence produced is still not recognised ground for divorce. See the un-practical aspect of it not otherwise. 

There is no cure for such personality especially in Indian context where majority of spouse donot even seek immediate medical help in case of persistent cough of more than a week leave aside suicide threat continuing for a week long originating from a weaker spouse in relationships. The other spouse will jump off himself on mid-day three from the balcony going crazy how to handle hence there ends all internet discussions in legal forums about remedy on such traits.

BTW don’t mix up BPD and Bi-Polar to this query they are different traits and let us not make early days psychiatrist discovering these personality traits twist and turn in their graves hearing someone comparing apples from oranges in same breadth. 

These queries would not have come to legal forum before exhausting social remedies including visit to granny’s corner medical store.

1 Like

Arjun Gupti (Business)     23 June 2012

If she is staying with you = Purchase a bottle of POISON and give it to her and ask her to F**K OFF. If she is NOT staying with you = RECORD HER PHONE CALLS and tell her that you agree to give her divorce and she can then stay happily with her boy friend.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register