Share on Email

Share More

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     04 June 2012

Man tells his story in film

Cheated at altar, man tells his story in film

Posted On

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

at 05:21:28 AM

Thane’s Shambhunath Tiwari, who was tricked into marrying a woman he never met, is starring in a movie on his life

A 32-year-old businessman, who was tricked into marrying a woman he never met and later falsely accused of dowry harassment, has decided to tell his story on celluloid. Shambhunath Tiwari, a resident of Thane, is playing the lead in a small-budget film, Marriage 98, which chronicles the betrayal he faced at the altar and his fight for justice.

Shambhunath, now a divorcee, believes the movie will serve as a warning for men who blindly agree to an arranged marriage without checking the prospective partner's family history.
“I spent 14 years of my life escaping a sham marriage. I don’t want someone else to go through the same ordeal,”
he said.

Shambhunath hails from an orthodox family in
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. In 1998, a family from Varanasi
approached him, and offered him their daughter’s hand. They showed him a woman’s picture which they claimed was their daughter. After consultation with his parents, Shambhunath agreed to the marriage, which took place on May 3 that year.

As the Tiwaris believed in traditional values, they asked the bride to keep her face covered during the entire wedding ceremony.

It’s only when they took her home that they realised she was not the same girl whose picture they were shown. The Tiwaris accused her parents of cheating them, and demanded that the wedding be annulled.

The woman’s parents, however, accused them of trying to seek dowry. Later, they filed a police complaint, which led to Shambhunath's arrest
. He fought back by approaching an Allahabad court. The case dragged on for years and finally last month the court cleared him of the dowry harassment charge.
The court also asked the woman’s family to apologise to him.

“I went through hell during this period. After the court verdict, I narrated my story to my friend Aman Koiri, and we decided to make a film based on it,” said the 32-year-old, who runs a garment business.

Marriage 98, which has a budget of about Rs 30 lakh, is a month away from completion. Directed by Koiri, it will be released in Hindi, Bhojpuri and Tamil. “
We are making this movie not just to earn money, but also to make people aware of marital fraud,” Koiri said.

News source:

https://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/20120529201205290521377067d938a59/Cheated-at-altar-man-tells-his-story-in-film.html

Moral of news item:
1. Check from top to bottom your would be female spouse.
2. Annulment of marriage is possible in such FRAUDS. 

Learning

4 Replies

bhima balla (none)     04 June 2012

Just apologize? How about a man rapes a woman or murder someone or rob a bank and apologize. Amazing!!!

(Guest)

this story is similar to Ekta Kapoor's  serials..Indian people are very smart now..they will not consume the film ..better tell your friend to invest money in a free medical check-up with assistace of Mediscrape ..

Great job Shambu Tiwariji. Hats off. Anti dowry movement picked up steam after men and women who felt the pain of victims went around playing dramas, talked to media, wrote articles and sensationalized the evils of dowry. The same must be done for the misuse of anti dowry law by unscrupulous and wicked women. However the key is to begin by defining dowry properly and without ambiguity! And the second is to punish misusers severely. (just apologies is laughable)

There are many sufferers

Many are silent sufferers

There are some who fight for themselves and their families

Then there are those who fight for the communities

Then there are those who fight for justice and all mankind!

Let the light shine again!

Thanks Tajobsji for posting it!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register