Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pankaj Sharma (MD)     21 May 2012

Justice for anita bawa-gurdaspur,dowry harrasment-murdered

Hi All

Kindly Go though the Text Mention Below And help us to make those Killers Sentence to Jail for Life time or Hand till death.

At Present Police File the FIR under Section- 304/b(34)

VICTIM:

Girl Name- ANITA BAWA (Victim)

District-Gurdaspur

P.S- City Gurdaspur

FIR No. 89

Date of Murder- 14/05/2012

Date of FIR- 15/05/2012

Complaint/Informant:-

Mr Janak Rani (W/O) Late Kartar Chand

Relation with Victim - Mother

Address- Dr. Marwah wali Gali, Ranjit Pura, Chherretta,Amritsar,Punjab

SuSpects-

Mr Surinder Bhalla ( Husband)  Alias-TINKU (S/O) Hardayal Singh

Mr Varinder Bhalla ( Surinder’s Brother)

Mrs Raj Rani (Mother in –Law)

There are times when you want to do so much for the change of society but being a common man the only thing you can do is write and leave it to the mercy of media and authorities to take notice and do something about it.

I woke up to take Monday’s blue by storm without realising that there is another storm brewing up in the city of Gurdaspur (Punjab), which will create havoc in life of lot of people. People I have nothing to do with, People with whom I was barely connected. The date was 14th May, 2012, 29 years old Anita Bawa, who was 6 months pregnant was brutally murdered by her husband (Mr. Surinder Bhalla) and here in-laws. Anita’s mother & Varinder Bhalla (Surinder Bhalla Brother). Mrs Janak Rani, a widow, who was in Delhi to attend her sister’s funeral was oblivious to what has happened to her own daughter.

Mrs Janak Rani , ( mother of Anita Bawa) a retired nurse from the Amritsar Mental hospital, always used to remain worried about the well being of her only daughter.

On the very first night of their marriage her husband Surinder Bhalla told  Anita  about his (Surinder’s) extra marital affair with another lady which started before his marriage 

and warned her not to interfere in his relation with that lady.  To Anita’s surprise she found that  Surinder’s family was supportive to his affair.

Since the very first week of her 2.5 years long marriage, Anita used to complain about the harassment by her husband and in-laws. Fearing a backlash from society, Janak Rani used to advise her daughter to try making things work.  Her in-laws used to mentally torture her by complaining of little dowry she has brought and were demanding more from her widow mother.

The torture was getting unbearable day by day and Anita’s mother was getting more & more worried for her daughter’s safety. But never in her worried mind, she imagined what happened next.

It was just another working day In Amritsar, where Anita’s maternal family used to stay. Pradeep Kumar,  Anita’s elder brother was having a quiet dinner with his family when he received a call from Surinder Bhalla (Anita’s husband), that Anita has fallen from the stairs and broken her nose.  Pradeep Kumar  already sensing a problem, asked Surinder to take Anita to the nearest hospital while he reaches Gurdaspur.   Before he could make sense of everything, with in 2 mins he received another call from Anita’s husband that Anita is dead.  In a state of shock,  he informed his relatives in Amritsar and called a taxi and left for Gurdaspur in a huff. 

As Anita was regularly harassed by her husband and her in laws,  Pradeep  sensing foul play, went straight to the Gurdaspur City Police Station, where more shock awaited him.  Surinder Bhalla and his family were already there and were sharing a steaming cup of tea with our law keepers.  On enquiring, Pradeep and his relatives,  were told by the cops that they have already been to the death location and have already sent the death body to the Civil Hospital Gurdaspur, as their enquiry revealed no foul play.   The most astounding fact was, it had just been 3 hours to the incident and without informing any of the girl’s relatives, the cops had completed their enquiry & had given a clean chit to everyone.  They even had the audacity to declare this incident  as suicide without a proper post mortem. Cops even refused to file an FIR for the case.

After Anita’s family and friends intervened and threatened a city wise protest, the cops finally filed an FIR on the evening  of 15th May, 2012; exactly 24 hours after the gruesome incident.

Bhalla’s are considered to be a very influential family in Gurdaspur. And people who can influence the authorities to ignore the murder, can go to any extend to make sure the enquiry is shoddy.

Anita’s family was sceptical about conducting the post mortem in Gurdaspur, so they insisted to transfer the body to Amritsar Medical Hospital. Initially the authorities were reluctant but bowing to the pressure they finally agreed to transfer the body to Amritsar.

Dr. Kirpal Singh of Medical College Amritsar conducted the post mortem on 16th May, 2012 at 6 p.m. at Amritsar. As expected, the post mortem revealed the brutality of the incident. There were many injury marks on her face, she had marks on her neck that revealed that she was asphyxiated with her own Chunni and was also punched few times on her 6 Months pregnant stomach. Though we have seen the pictures to support this but we aren’t sure now if the actual report will reveal all this.

As Gurdaspur is a small town and things do get out, Bhalla’s have supposedly put a lot of pressure, both political and financial (sic bribe) on administration. And now the family of  Anita Bawa fear the real story may not come out. Though the FIR was filed against both (husband and in laws), the in-laws Virender Bhalla and Raj Rani are yet to be arrested and are rumoured to have paid a lot of money to the local authorities to look the other way. Till now only husband Surinder Bhalla has been arrested.

I have nothing to do with this case. I can shut down my computer, delete the file from my computer and forget about this by watching an IPL match. But tomorrow I will come across the same story where the victim, location and may be the motive will be something else. It will again disturb me and I will once again write something on this issue and like today, will forget. Then one fine day, something this gruesome will happen to somebody close to us and we will again blame the society for just being the mere spectators and not doing something about these issues. Forgetting, we did the same when it happened with others.

We have done lot of business stories together but this is the first story I am forwarding which is beyond any personal commercial gain. I urge my friends in media to take up this story and make sure not just Anita, but all the women in small towns of India, who have been denied justice, get their due.

Anita Bawa was a cousin of Pankaj Sharma, who is my friend. You may get in touch with him at +91 9891241119 for details on the case.

Regards

Pankaj Sharma

Learning

5 Replies

Democratic Indian (n/a)     21 May 2012

Also write to National Commission for Women and various NGOs related to women so that pressure can be built from top for proper and honest investigation into the case.
1 Like

(Guest)

two points to mention in this case:

1] picture of postmortem will not be an evidence since those picture could be any 6 moths pregnent woman. only post mortem report will be considered as evidence. you come to know these facts through picture but it may be that you are shown fake picture. only postmortem report should be trusworthy. if the report won't say those things, then your claim will not hold any water.

2] bribing by bhallas to stop prosecution is nothing but a rumour. so you can't prove that.

3] also you need forensic report about who actually killed anita. it may or may not be the entire family.

1 Like

Kumar (Family CEO)     22 May 2012

Wife/To be mother  falls from  stairs and breaks her nose.After 5 minutes of reporting incident, victims husband reports that victim is dead and leaves for Gurdaspur. Doesnt sound like suicide but pre-mediated , cold blooded and calculated MURDER.

Some areas where the victims family or detectives can look into to collect and retain evidence such as:

1. Pictures or audio recording at the police station- showing victims husbands relatives already in the police station.

2. Immidiately obtain a court order to preserve all evidence and electronic records. Cell phone call records, FIR pages, taxi booking details. The call records will show all the people who had made calls prior to the execution of crime. The CDR will also give location of the parties involved.

3. Get pictures of crime scene.

4. Collect DNA from crime scene. If you cannot get sample analysed quickly, I will be willing to help get DNA analysed. 

5. Preserve the body and get independent forensic examination to ascertain cause of death. Take whole body x-ray/bone scane of the dead body to identify bone fractures and trauma. Bone scan will show trauma that x-ray cannot. 

6. Does the crime scene indicate more than one persons DNA/foot print/finger print ? More than one person may be involved in the conspiracy and execution since you state that the police had already taken care of the paper work.

7. Try to preserve DNA of the unborn child to ascertain if the child was the husbands or the father is someone else. 

8. Did vitims husband or their relatives call the ambulance, 100 or any emergency telephone numbers ? Obtain records and preserve.

9. If there is a laptop/computer at home, immidiately take all that in as evidence using a search warrant. 

10. If the victims chunni was used to strangle, there is a 100% chance that the stranglers DNA is on the chunni. 

1 Like

Pankaj Sharma (MD)     22 May 2012

Hi Mr Kumar

First of all I want to Thank you from Bottom of my heart for all your Valuable Suggestion,Now i want to ask your  few Question and take ur suggestion.plz help us with same also.

1. Pictures or audio recording at the police station- showing victims husbands relatives already in the police station.

Answer- No We dont have That Evidence,But yes we have Seen them there Before we Reached Police Station

My Question to you is,Will our Words doesnt matter in court if we say that yes we have seen them in PS when we reached there?As boy have surrender himself on his own.

2. Immidiately obtain a court order to preserve all evidence and electronic records. Cell phone call records, FIR pages, taxi booking details. The call records will show all the people who had made calls prior to the execution of crime. The CDR will also give location of the parties involved.

3. Get pictures of crime scene.

4. Collect DNA from crime scene. If you cannot get sample analysed quickly, I will be willing to help get DNA analysed.

5. Preserve the body and get independent forensic examination to ascertain cause of death. Take whole body x-ray/bone scane of the dead body to identify bone fractures and trauma. Bone scan will show trauma that x-ray cannot.

Answer- We have alredy did Cremenation of body on 17th MAY,as its was more then 4 days of her death.Now what we can do in this situation?

6. Does the crime scene indicate more than one persons DNA/foot print/finger print ? More than one person may be involved in the conspiracy and execution since you state that the police had already taken care of the paper work.

Answer- We have doubt that police have alredy removed all evidences from the crime location.

7. Try to preserve DNA of the unborn child to ascertain if the child was the husbands or the father is someone else.

Answer- We are Sure that it was Surinder Bhalla Child only,And we are very much sure that Bhalla's want to prove that Child was someone else,so that this way they want to present the Victim characterless .They have taken the Sample of DNA to prove this only.and we are afraid tht they now might be Hamper the DNA sample to prove tht child was someone else.what can we do in this regards?

8. Did vitims husband or their relatives call the ambulance, 100 or any emergency telephone numbers ? Obtain records and preserve.

9. If there is a laptop/computer at home, immidiately take all that in as evidence using a search warrant.

10. If the victims chunni was used to strangle, there is a 100% chance that the stranglers DNA is on the chunni.

Kumar (Family CEO)     23 May 2012

#1 - People who actually saw the husbands family can provide their testimony, reduced in writing under penalty of perjury as evidence. You should consult an Indian lawyer who is an expert in evidence law or a criminal lawyer will know this. I cannot give legal advice.

The witness statement should be detailed, - e.g saw husbands father with inspector so and so at so and so time. So and so was wearing this, doing this. others present were so and so. 

date, time, place,sourroundings, actors.

#2 - If the body has been cremated, then DNA is destroyed. However, if you have the child or mothers post mortem tissues somewhere, we can find if there was trauma. India does not have this technology. No lawyer in India is aware of this. 

#3 Without DNA testing, no human can tell if the unborn child was fathered by the husband or someone else. Irrespective , no one should be treated like the way Anita was.

#4 If they have the unborn childs DNA, then mtDNA testing will prove who the mother is/was. If you have the mothers hair/clothes, then preserve it. I can send you a technology which will preserve the DNA for hundreds of years, if collected and stored properly. I can provide assistance on this. This technology is not available in India. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register