Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sheetal (Engineer)     18 May 2012

Icici bank unauthorized transactions , theft

Dear Advisors,

Kindly advice me where exactly in the forum , I have to put up my Query regarding issue on  Theft from bank account , through unauthorized transactions.  

Learning

7 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     18 May 2012

@ Author

You have 3 options to choose from;

1. For Debit Cards unathorised usage complaint.

use link Onlinewww.icicibank.com/terms.../debit-cards-terms-conditions.html   

2. For Internet Banking unathorised usage complaint.

use link Bankwww.icicibank.com/terms.../internet-banking-terms-conditions.html

3. For Online Banking | Personal Banking Services unathorised usage complaint.

use link www.icicibank.com › Safe Banking

1 Like

Ajit Singh Cheema (practising Advocate)     18 May 2012

Immediately put up your complaint with the Branch Head ,concerned,With a copy to their Inspection Department and Controlling office.Donot hesitate to mention in the complaint  that if the unauthorised transaction is not reversed, you will move consumer court/police authorities through FIR.

1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     18 May 2012

Dear Querist

Mr. Cheema Is rightly advice

1 Like

Sheetal (Engineer)     20 May 2012

Thank you all Respected  Legal Advisors, 

I am humbled for your response. 

This is my Husband's bank account and He was/ is abroad during this incident.

I was staying back in India , due to family emergencies. 

The incident happened 3 weeks ago. 

A week prior to the incident, my husband had transferred money from abroad , as his family here were in need of money urgently.  The Debit card was with me during this time.  

I received the mobile notifications about these unauthorized transactions , ( shopping payments ) which were basically done in parts of other state , in two different cities , with the time difference of only a minute.

We blocked the card immediately .

Through the phone enquiry at the customer service, we came to know that these both 'unauthorized transactions' were done through swipe payments.  NO net banking was involved.

Our bank account is from Mumbai and 5 yrs old.

We contacted Head service quality person at Chennai through emails and phone conversation. 

We have been told , that  our complaint has been taken and will be responded  before or by June first week. and meantime, there's no necessity of lodging a complaint at Branch office in Mumbai.

We also have received email stating it.

Sir, we had no issues of stolen card/  pin,  requesting duplicate card/ pin. We haven'd made any online payments so far with this account. Only connection is:  One of the cities, we had visited 2 months ago, where we had made swipe payments at a restaurant. 

Abt Account:

My husband was not even issued a cheque book so far.

And since a year time, Doesn't even have a valid transaction pin , basically doesn;t have An Net Banking Access.

He only had a debit card. and  we had some family medical emergencies here, so he had tansferred money a week prior to this incident. Yet, We had not done any transactions following the transfer. 

We had recently registered my mobile number, few months ago. 

And I have the original message notifications of this incident , with me.

I am residing at my parents residence and not in Mumbai currently . My Husband is visiting India next month for 2 weeks. We were not able to lodge a complaint at Mumbai Branch, in the meantime.  

Please advice and guide us in this regard Sir,  we will be very grateful. 

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     20 May 2012

oh, that is what happened !

You are recent victim of debit card swipe machine (of the restaurant) phishing activity. It is a latest on-site cloning of Credit / Debit Cards technique where a small piece of blank debit / credit card is hooked / hidden below the actual swipe machine and magnetic codes of your debit card while swiping via original machine on top gets cloned into a dummy card below ready to be used by cons as happened twice in open market at different locations in narrated facts of yours. One cloned card was further cloned and sold in another city to be swiped and that is whay same debit card no. debited without visiting both cities are reflecting in statement.

Hope you understood how your husband’s debit card was misused now?

In my opinion a written A/D complaint letter should also be received by Bank.

Be careful next time and never ever get any Credit / Debit / Airlines Miles etc. kinda cards swiped behind your back. Always insist to lift swipe machine to check clone tablet underneath it (even if salesman looks at you as if you are a fool but it is for your own protection).

One can only wait for ICICI customer care response now ! Had it been a credit card swipe the charges in 14 days would have been reversed but it seems the case in hand is that of a debit card which is actually instant money credit to swipers account.

[One can set up a sting operation at that same restaurant via media channel to expose their modus operendi] 

1 Like

sir,  thanks for explaining in the depth . 

Sir,  I still have the restaurant  bill receipt with me  ( I preserve)  and the Swipe was not done infront of us. I still remember the table at which we were served and hopefully the person who had attended us . It was a reputed hotel atleast to look at.  

And we had a second transaction in the same city, at a Hotel , where we had stayed.  It was a reputed Hotel and at the checkout desk, we had done the payment swipe. I remember and can recognize the person and know his details as he belonged to Mumbai. 

I have the mobile notifications of these transactions.

Sir,  but I am very worried for recovering our loss.  

My husband is visiting India next month for 2 weeks.

Sir, kindly guide us,  Who has to send a wriiten A/D letter to bank in this case now ?  Does my husband has to do it by personally visiting Branch office? 

and  what other steps will have to take sir to reverse these unauthorized transactions?

I assume I was overwhelmed during my previous post.

BUt this is not at all fair.  I do not know whether we were so stupid to be victims or  are there other people as well falling into these kind of phishing activities.  

I request  for Guiding me through my queries as stated in the post above. 

thanks a lot Sir

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register