Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ABHISHEK B (Bekaaar)     19 April 2012

Need legal advice for discharge

Heres a recap.

1) Married in Jan 2010 as per SMA. Came to US within a month.

2) Wife left house in US in Sept 2010 for reasons best known to her. Wife after big drama stayed outside house for couple of days in US, and eventually left for India by buying her own flight ticket using her own card. Same day, her dad filed a GD in there local PS, but am sure theres no dowry related complaint.

3) After returning she kept quite for another 5 months. Then in Mar 2011, filed ONLY CrPC125 and Interim Maintenance case. Only mentioned, I have mentally and physically harassed her and kicked her out of house. Again no dowry related complaint over there.

4) In Dec 2011, I replied to her 125. Wife and MIL, came to our house and threatened my mother when she was alone, not to contest the maintenance case, else bear the brunt of 498A. Parents filed a GD regarding the same.

4) On early Feb 2012, as per court's direction, I seperately replied to her interim maintenance petition and disclosed the fact that she is earnin for last 1 yr after filing 125 and did not disclose the fact to court.

5) This instigated her,, and to take revenge, just 2 days later of the interim petition reply, on Feb 2012 she filed 498A/406 on my parents and myself.

6) Police came to our house in mid-march. Thats when we actually came to know about the case. I too came to India due to official work. Both parents got bail from lower court. I got conditional AB from HC.

Now, as per IO, he is going to submit the chargesheet by coming week. I hope once chargesheet is filed, I would be receiving certified copy of the FIR.

Query :-

1) Is 498A strictly related to dowry harassment ? Or, is it upon the discretion of a woman that she can file 498A, even if theres no dowry related harassment in her complaint ?

2) If the claimed torture, happened in US, and that too 1.5 yrs back, can a woman still file a 498A case in India ? Any judgement, which can be helpful mentioning delayed FIR is an after-thought ?

3) Post chargesheet, can I get a copy of both the chargesheet and the FIR ? Is chargesheet a replica of the story written in the FIR ?

4) Do chargesheet discharge based only on legal points, or can I produce evidence, if I try for the same. In my case, can filing discharge be helpful ?

Learning

7 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     19 April 2012

Dear Abhishek,

Yeaterday there was a similar posting by one Mr.Mohan under the thread NEED ADVICE ON 498 A AND DIVORCE.

498a  is related to mental and physical harrasment.You can get a copy ofthe Chargesheet and FIR. If you have substantial evidence to prove your innocense to the allegations well and good.

Sainath Sir > If 498A is related to ANY mental or physical harassment, then how is it different from DV ?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     19 April 2012

Dear Abhishek,

GO THROUGH THE DV ACT 2005

The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 was brought into force by the Indian government from October 26, 2006. The Act was passed by the Parliament in August 2005 and assented to by the President on 13 September 2005. As of November 2007, it has been ratified by four of twenty-eight state governments in India; namely Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and Orissa. Of about 8,000 criminal cases registered all over India under this act, Rajasthan had 3440 cases, Kerala had 1,028 cases, while Punjab had 172 cases registered.[1]

Contents

[hide

[edit] Definition

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE 1) For the purposes of this Act, any conduct of the respondent shall constitute domestic violence if he,— (a) habitually assaults or makes the life of the aggrieved person miserable by cruelty of conduct even if such conduct does not amount to physical ill-treatment; or (b) forces the aggrieved person to lead an immoral life; or (c) otherwise injures or harms the aggrieved person. (2) Nothing contained in clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall amount to domestic violence if the pursuit of course of conduct by the respondent was reasonable for his own protection or for the protection of his or another’s property.

[edit] Scope

Primarily meant to provide protection to the wife or female live-in partner from domestic violence at the hands of the husband or male live-in partner or his relatives, the law also extends its protection to women who are sisters, widows or mothers. Domestic violence under the act includes actual abuse or the threat of abuse whether physical, s*xual, verbal, emotional or economic. Harassment by way of unlawful dowry demands to the woman or her relatives would also be covered under this definition.

The salient features of the Protection from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 are as follows:

• The Act seeks to cover those women who are or have been in a relationship with the abuser where both parties have lived together in a shared household and are related by consanguinity, marriage or a relationship in the nature of marriage, or adoption; in addition relationship with family members living together as a joint family are also included. Even those women who are sisters, widows, mothers, single women, or living with the abuser are entitled to get legal protection under the proposed Act.
  • "Domestic violence" includes actual abuse or the threat of abuse that is physical, s*xual, verbal, emotional and economic. Harassment by way of unlawful dowry demands to the woman or her relatives would also be covered under this definition.
  • One of the most important features of the Act is the woman’s right to secure housing. The Act provides for the woman’s right to reside in the matrimonial or shared household, whether or not she has any title or rights in the household. This right is secured by a residence order, which is passed by a court. These residence orders cannot be passed against anyone who is a woman.
  • The other relief envisaged under the Act is that of the power of the court to pass protection orders that prevent the abuser from aiding or committing an act of domestic violence or any other specified act, entering a workplace or any other place frequented by the abused, attempting to communicate with the abused, isolating any assets used by both the parties and causing violence to the abused, her relatives and others who provide her assistance from the domestic violence.
  • The draft Act provides for appointment of Protection Officers and NGOs to provide assistance to the woman w.r.t medical examination, legal aid, safe shelter, etc.
  • The Act provides for breach of protection order or interim protection order by the respondent as a cognizable and non-bailable offence punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with fine which may extend to twenty thousand rupees or with both. Similarly, non-compliance or discharge of duties by the Protection Officer is also sought to be made an offence under the Act with similar punishment.

While "economic abuse" includes deprivation of all or any economic or financial resources to which the victim is entitled under any law or custom whether payable under an order of a Court or otherwise or which the victim requires out of necessity including, but not limited to, household necessities for the aggrieved person and her children, if any, stridhan, property, jointly or separately owned by her, payment of rental related to the shared household and maintenance and disposal of household effects, any alienation of assets whether movable or immovable, valuables, shares, securities, bonds and the like or other property in which the victim has an interest or is entitled to use by virtue of the domestic relationship or which may be reasonably required by the victim or her children or her stridhan or any other property jointly or separately held by the victim and prohibition or restriction to continued access to resources or facilities which the victim is entitled to use or enjoy by virtue of the domestic relationship including access to the shared household, "physical abuse" means any act or conduct which is of such a nature as to cause bodily pain, harm or danger to life, limb, or health or impair the health or development of the victim and includes assault, criminal intimidation and criminal force.

courtesy:wikepedia.org

Thanks for the wikipedia reference.

However, I was trying to gauge, how can 498A be just ANY mental or physical harassment ? Isin't for framing 498A, dowry related harassment a must ? 

MADURAI LAWYER (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     19 April 2012

Dear Sir,

I am sorry for your unsuccessful unhappy married life. Kindly feel free to call me up on (0) 9842197857 to get proper legal advice in your case.

https://www.jeevaganadvocate.com/contact.php

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     20 April 2012

Dear Abhishek.

Please visit www.498a.org for a detailed analysis.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     20 April 2012

The scope of 498a is bigger than mere dowry harassment.

However, depending upon the FIR, it can be decided whether there is any benefit of filing for it.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

4 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register