LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

break (housewife)     17 April 2012

Need help

got married in April 2009.we both stayed in usa for 20 months.Due to his harassment ,i came back to India on Dec 2010.I filed 498a case against him.I filed divorce case,its been 9 months.He is in usa,he is not receiving summons  from court,He is not giving vakalat to family court.they are saying that ,to withdraw  498a they will give half the amount and then he comes to India and gives remaining half amount and grant the divorce.How to trust him,if i withdraw the case,he doesnot come for divorce?they are even saying that change divorce petition to mutual consent.I do have his SSN,pay checks,passport number.How to find him and get him to India?What about RCN?How much time and cost it takes?If he doesnot come to india,shall i again  file 498a case and cheating case?is it possible once i withdraw?Please do help.

Learning

12 Replies

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     17 April 2012

lack of understanding of the court procedure is creating such problem.  Assuming that your criminal complaint has been turned into FIR and the matter is posted before the magistrate, I explain the correct position.

1.  Your divorce petition cannot be chantged to MCD only with your consent.  Not only his consent but also his presence (here some advocate differ and say that by way of POA it can be done) is required at the time of first motion, where in on oath you say that you are receiving half of the amount and also cooperate to withdraw s.498-A case.  After receiving that amount you sign the first motion.

2. Your husband will approach the HC for quashing of FIR and criminal proceedings. There you appear and give statement that you will agree for the same.  Then only S.498-A case will be quashed.  Magistrate court has no power to quash S.498-A case.  Get assured that HC will oversee that you receive at least a part of settled amount before asking you about your consent to withdraw criminal case against husband.

3. In the second motion you appear and take remaining amount and sign the second motion and divorce decree is granted.

TO AVOID MISCHIEF FROM ANY ONE OF THE PARTY, the following procedure, even though cumbersome, can be adopted.

1.  Both the parties reach to a written agreement mentioning about the amount, filing of MCD, withdrawing of criminal case.

2. If anyone goes back from the written agreement, the aggrieved party can file a suit for recovery of amount/specific enforcement of the agreement.  It is a cumbersome, costly and lengthy process. 

ANSER TO REMAINING QUESTIONS:

1.  RCN is a rare phenonmenon in matrimonial matters.  In divroce case, If you know his correct address and his employer's address, you can get it served to him directly as well as through his employer.  It can also be served through Ministry of External Affairs. His refusal to receive deemed to be sufficient service.

2.  In section 498-A case, if he does not appear and if he has immovable property here, that can be attached. 

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     17 April 2012

lack of understanding of the court procedure is creating such problem.  Assuming that your criminal complaint has been turned into FIR and the matter is posted before the magistrate, I explain the correct position.

1.  Your divorce petition cannot be chantged to MCD only with your consent.  Not only his consent but also his presence (here some advocate differ and say that by way of POA it can be done) is required at the time of first motion, where in on oath you say that you are receiving half of the amount and also cooperate to withdraw s.498-A case.  After receiving that amount you sign the first motion.

2. Your husband will approach the HC for quashing of FIR and criminal proceedings. There you appear and give statement that you will agree for the same.  Then only S.498-A case will be quashed.  Magistrate court has no power to quash S.498-A case.  Get assured that HC will oversee that you receive at least a part of settled amount before asking you about your consent to withdraw criminal case against husband.

3. In the second motion you appear and take remaining amount and sign the second motion and divorce decree is granted.

TO AVOID MISCHIEF FROM ANY ONE OF THE PARTY, the following procedure, even though cumbersome, can be adopted.

1.  Both the parties reach to a written agreement mentioning about the amount, filing of MCD, withdrawing of criminal case.

2. If anyone goes back from the written agreement, the aggrieved party can file a suit for recovery of amount/specific enforcement of the agreement.  It is a cumbersome, costly and lengthy process. 

ANSER TO REMAINING QUESTIONS:

1.  RCN is a rare phenonmenon in matrimonial matters.  In divroce case, If you know his correct address and his employer's address, you can get it served to him directly as well as through his employer.  It can also be served through Ministry of External Affairs. His refusal to receive deemed to be sufficient service.

2.  In section 498-A case, if he does not appear and if he has immovable property here, that can be attached. 

Padam (Branch Trainer )     17 April 2012

what happen in case , If a wife is not make any relation with his husband since first night of marriage , and almost 6 month past

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     17 April 2012

Haste makes Waste, you were ill-advised.

if the person himself doesnot want to come to India, it would be nearly impossible to bring him back.

Try to settle the dispute amicably.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

break (housewife)     18 April 2012

first,if i withdraw 498a and gets half the amount.what if they are not cooperative with the divorce?shall i file 498a case again 2nd time?

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     18 April 2012

1. Take half of the amount and sing first motion.

2. Let him file s.498-A quash petition in High Court.  There it may be recorded that you will have the right to revive the s.498-A case in the event of his failure to appear in second motion and give his consent and pay the remaining 1/2  amount.  If it is not recorded like that, on the same set of facts, you cannot again register S.498-A case.

3.  If he goes back from his commitment, you can seek revival of criminal case.

break (housewife)     18 April 2012

please help me.they are saying o withdraw 498a and get half amount  in first motion..then in second motion get exprtee divorce and get remaining half amount.my husband not receiving summons frm court,not giving POA,not giving vakalat.how can i proceed.is it safe to withdraw 498a case in first motion.case is in high court saying me to withdraw in frnt of judge.need divorce

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     18 April 2012

:-)

Which state the case is in? In Delhi, regardless of what they say, the case can not be quashed unless the second motion is filed.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

break (housewife)     19 April 2012

case is in andhra pradesh,hyderabad.please help in this.they are saying to withdraw case in first motion .hw can i get divorce even he is not receiving summons?

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     19 April 2012

1. Section 498-A quash petition does not have any relation with the first / second motion of divorce petition.  If the quash petition is filed by the husband, the HC court will ask your consent.  If you give consent, it will be quashed otherwise not.

2.  If you take 50% in the first motion and if he does not appear in the second motion, the MCD will be dismissed.  Ex-parte MCD is impossible.  If they are putting such proposal, they are ill intented to cheat you. 

1 Like

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     20 April 2012

Divorce case is heard by Family Court judge and 498A by the judge of criminal court.  Both are different cases.  Accept withdrawal of 498A in High Court subject to completion of MCD proceedings in Family Court to their logical conclusion, explain to High court the possibility of your husband not honoring commitment with regard to remaining settlement amount and signing of MCD as the reasons for this condition. And sign on MCD only having taken remaining settlement amount.  Have a good advocate and ensure one of the terms of mutual consent is receiving remaining settlement amount and bringing the MCD proceedings to their logical conclusion and violation of any of the terms would entail revival of proceedings U/s.498A.

**Victim** (job)     21 April 2012

MCD with POA is possible therefore i suggest if your husband doesn't wanna come to india then POA would be the appropriate route for both of you. Filling 498 (a) when husband is abroad would not put much weight unless he comes india and gets arrested. I don't know if you know that accessing someone's personal information without their consent itself is crime in United States. If you go to SSN website it will tell when and where was the last access to SSN info. Therefore don't even try this there are special agencies for serving notice in U.S. and you can seek help of them.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register