Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     15 February 2012

Are lawyers really that bad ?

Are Lawyers really that bad ? ...Read on - Something i wrote during law school days .......Bharat Chugh

"Home is Home ...the devil said when he found himself in the court of sessions " ....this is just one among the conglomeration - pithily summed up by Shakespeare as ‘lets kill all the lawyers’. Most Apparently throughout the times lawyers have been subjected to such criticisms, but when you are practically brought up among lawyers & having always believed ‘B’  stands for a ‘bonafide’ that’s where it turns really disconcerting, makes you ponder this isn’t something I signed up for, burning midnight oil for 5 years just for all of it to be rendered infructous – I am not a devil its all good and fun, until just the mention of a ‘lawyer’ makes people’s mind to conjure up diverse images of contortionists, manipulators & expert liars.

Deeply moved, resort is here had to the pen to attempt salvage my creed from at least some negative discourse doing rounds since times immemorial. Indeed there are people (a good number) who are just no more than touts with zero understanding of law, masquerading as harbingers of justice, when they don’t care two hoots about the interests of their clients, their raison d’être nothing beyond – money. 

Indeed it’s the reality of existence, lofty professional ethics in today’s world won’t fetch you bread, but for those who travel in big cars & try buy witnesses for people with equally large cars (but horrendous driving etiquettes) bring the entire profession to calumny with these being just a taste of other Tammany hall enterprises - they carry out.

But these are the exceptions, which should not be generalized, by far a good number are still knowledgeable and who would have truly made Lord Denning proud, and in this regard the Stellar role played by great lawyers, the likes of Mahatma Gandhi & Jawaharlal Nehru in the Indian Independence Movement & the framing of the Constitution, & in the international scenario the likes of Abraham Lincoln,  needs to be emphasized & highlighted more, to present an image befitting the members of this noble profession, who have never desisted from acting as the saviors of rights & entitlements of the common man, and being progressive minded people have been the initiators of social change throughout human history.                                                          

Learning

3 Replies

Ashish Chakravarty (Advocate)     15 February 2012

"Ignorance is Bliss" is all i can think of when i come across such futile babble against lawyers, Bharat, Judiciary just like any other system is not perfect, far from it as a matter of fact however just look at what it has been able to provide us so far and what it continues to provide us on a daily basis! Lawyers are often subject to such mindless criticism and ridicule because of our representative character, we are the extension , the face, the very personification of our client and thus we become the butt of all jokes as they say! A layman can never comprehend or even begin to imagine the complexities of this system, of which we lawyers too are a part of, let it be! Bharat, i remember even before i began my career i had to EXPLAIN, yes EXPLAIN to people why i chose to become a lawyer even when i had good grades and when i could have easily become an MBA or alike and even today some old friend or acquaintance may ask why this profession!!!! Many a times i have noticed **interesting** expressions on people's faces when i told them that i am a lawyer! Neways  i have always believed and i still do that i practice a Noble profession and i am quite proud of the fact that i am a part of this legal fraternity, yes all the apples might not be good but then again not all have gone bad too, I would request anyone who thinks or is of the opinion that Lawyers or this system i.e. Judiciary is something which we can do away with, try and imagine what would happen if it ceases to exist, no law & order, no one to protect your rights, property , total anarchy!! Anyway i can go on and on but i think its apparant what i want to convey, Bharat, i found your post quite intriguing not to mention its nomenclature, its really refreshing and encouraging to see youngsters like you posting such topics, God bless you.

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     15 February 2012

Thanks Mr.Chakravarthy :) You were really kind.....  

girish rathod (Software Developer)     15 February 2012

It is easy to say but hard to prove...

As per my knowledge most of the lawyer say, 70% of the case lying with court didn't get justise due to not enough evidence.

Police work for only politian, money. And further even 90% lawyer don't dare to raise such question to police regarding invvestigation.

Comman people have to pay from birth certificate to death certificate.

What i think. it is the lawyer who can challenge all this people but all where running behind money. They join this proffession, keeping in mind as employment source. Though there are some lawyer who work for social issue but very less.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register