LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

cooli (Trainee)     19 December 2011

Marriage validity

My marriage was performed in a temple under hindu marraige act.  My wife is a muslim so in temple it was taken in written from her that she is changing her name and religion to hindu. Later same day we signed two notarised papers one regarding our marriage that we married each other and other was for my wife that she is changing her name and religion to hindu. Both paper signed by the pandit that he performed conversion and marraige. The same two affidivit was used for marraige registration and in our marraige certificate my wifes old name appears. Now we both will be doing the actual procedure of changing her name that is publising in a paper her new name and other thinglegal formalities etc.

So is my marraige valid or i have to first finish my wifes name and religion changing procedure and then re marry her cause a marriage as per hindu marraige act can be only performed only between two hindus. Or the law changes as per different states in india. My marriage was performed in bombay.

Learning

1 Replies

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     19 December 2011

I suggest you to go for registration of marriage under Special Marriage Act, as it does not demand you or your wife to change the religion. 

If you insist that your marriage shall be registered under Hindu Marriage Act, then I suggest you to go for Arya Samaj Marriage, where as the first step, they convert her religion into Hindu Religion and next they solemnize the marriage and issue a certificate.  Along with this certificate and other photograph proofs, you can register your marriage again under Section 8 of the Hindu Marriage Act.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register