Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

help.me.with.divorce (manager)     08 November 2011

Stridhan - 4 lac jewelry in husbands name.

Hi All,

My family gave 1 lac jewellery to my wife at time of engagemnet. However, another 3 lac were given to my wife at the time of marriage (but the jewelry bill is in my name except the 1 lac which she got at time of engagement).

My question is : can I claim the jewellery which is in my name on bill, but my wife took it away? 

Any ideas guys about stridhan. ?

Learning

11 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     08 November 2011

you can read it

Stridhan’ is a traditional concept in Indian Hindu Society which has been derived from two Sanskrit words ‘Stri’ and ‘dhan’ which means ‘Woman’s property’. Usually, stridhan is passed from mother to daughter, unless the woman decides otherwise. Besides the ornaments and trousseau given at marriage, stridhan also includes all the gifts of money, property, jewellery and so on received by the woman before, during and after marriage from her family, her husband’s family, friends and even strangers. It includes property inherited by the woman from her family or husband’s family; property received by her under a compromise, adverse possession or in lieu of maintenance; property obtained in partition; and property bought using proceeds from stridhan. However, gifts to the husband by the woman or her relatives will not be part of her stridhan.

Protection of Stridhan

A woman’s right to her stridhan is protected under law. Section 14 of the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 read with Section 27 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 make a female Hindu an absolute owner of such property. In the case of Pratibha Rani v. Suraj Kumar, 1985 (2) SCC 370 the Supreme Court of India explained the concept of ‘Stridhan’ and its legal position under the Indian Laws. The Supreme Court of India held that “a Hindu married woman is the absolute owner of her stridhan property and can deal with it in any manner she likes and, even if it is placed in the custody of her husband or her in-laws they would be deemed to be trustees and bound to return the same if and when demanded by her”.

It is, therefore, manifest that the position of stridhan of a Hindu married woman’s property during coverture is absolutely clear and unambiguous; she is the absolute owner of such property and can deal with it in any manner she likes-she may spend the whole of it or give it away at her own pleasure by gift or will without any reference to her husband. Ordinarily, the husband has no right or interest in it with the sole exception that in times of extreme distress, as in famine, illness or the like, the husband can utilize it but he is morally bound to restore it or its value when he is able to do so. This right is purely personal to the husband and the property so received by him in marriage cannot be proceeded against even in execution of a decree for debt, such being the nature and character of stridhan of a woman.

If her husband or any other member of his family who are in possession of such property, dishonestly misappropriate or refuse to return the same, they may be liable to punishment for the offence of criminal breach of trust under sections 405 and 406 IPC.

Precautions: Women who wish to protect their stridhan rights must take precautionary steps.

• Make a list of the gifts and/or properties received before, during and after marriage from your family, your husband’s family, friends and other acquaintances.
  • Keep evidence for the gifts received by you such as wedding pictures. Also, ensure that the gifts and their bills are in your name and preserve these bills.
  • Have witnesses - statements of witnesses will be important evidence - for gifts of movables (including jewellery) at the time of marriage.

Anil Kumar Jain vs Maya Jain, 2009 case

Source: Pratibha Rani v. Suraj Kumar, 1985 (2) SCC 370

This decision of the Supreme Court of India has been followed by various High Courts of India in the subsequent years, namely, Raginiben Gunvantsinh Tank v. Gunvantlal Keshavlal Tank And Ors. [2003 (3) G.L.R. 2027], Reema Aggarwal v. Anupam [2004 Cri LJ 892] and many others

help.me.with.divorce (manager)     08 November 2011

@nadeem - when can a husband ask for stridhan, which is actually in his name but is taken away by wife?

husband currently unemployed.

Stressed.

weak health.

have no property.

Sanjeev (Lawyer)     08 November 2011

No Streedhanbelongs to wife and cannot be claimed. If she has it in her custody forget it but in case you have it in your custody it will not be easy for her to claim and prove that its in your posession.

(Guest)

This is injustice.If she does not stay with husband then she should return it to him.

For me this is a kind of robbery.Maintenance to unemplyed wife is a different thing and this type ofcheating is a different matter.I dont support.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     08 November 2011

Hmmmm, whatever you gifted voluntarily should not be asked back.

File a case of 406 on her if it is yours and not gifted.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor
harassed.by.498a@gmail.com
1 Like

Krishna Kumar (Business)     08 November 2011

Hi Shonee Sir,

Normally once get married, we will be giving gold in the form of Mangal Suthra and other items which the boy family has to sponsor. But when she left home and divorced, is it mean that it is been gifted to her?

I am facing the same issue. We given gold of 2 lac and we did not get that back as it is related to Mangal Suthra and some items which must be done from boy side. We did not write anywhere we are gifting to her. It is for a normal procedure for a wife the boy family has to do.

It is possible to ger the gold back once the divorce happend.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     08 November 2011

Hmmm,

A gift is voluntary and is for the sole usage of the donee.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

1 Like

(Guest)

Nadeem is totally correct. The new HMA is half old Hindu law Half contorted British law.  No one do anything about it.What's given to wife goes for good.However Joint accounts ,Joint property do not come under the category of Streedhan. Women are basically gold diggers all over the world and hence Lakshmi or Dhan is stree. So never give anything to your wife unless its in joint name. Women all over the world walk out after extracting husband's semen and gold or cash and file cases for further blackmail and extortion.

sumit agarwal (proprieter)     18 November 2011

same case is mine.I just need to know thier was a joint locker in bank of my wife and me.we use to keep all the jewellery in that locker only.One day she went alone and operated that locker and took all the jewellery from it.can i get it back from her.?

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     19 November 2011

Very difficult, but if some things were yours then you can claim that.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

1 Like

Self service (None)     26 January 2012

Simple funda - Do not give any thing that you can not afford to loose. In society husband side gives lot of booty just to show status symbol and later asks how to get back...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register