Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     10 September 2011

Message of appreciation!!!!

Hi,

I am going thru dv against me, and divorce filed by me. I am unemployed so I am self arguing my own cases. I dont have legal training, so I have been reading up on law for last six months.

I came across this site in a search, and I must say that this site has been a treasure of invaluable legal resources and extremely helpful advice.

So a big thank you to the admin staff, and all the forum members who have been extremely helpful. Without you guys I wud have been in a real mess.

So a big thank to all the staff and members!!!! Pls keep up the good work!!!!

Learning

13 Replies

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     10 September 2011

CHEERS LCI ........ :)

WE HAVE HAPPY VISITORS ....

Proud to be a part of such exponentially growing knowledge base...

//peace

/Saurabh..V

ditto @ saurabh, and personal thanks to saurabh for being so helpful in my other posts..

upasna (coordinator)     10 September 2011

hey Saurabh. V...

I want you to read this and please guide me how to answer this infront of the IO in special woman cell

The malicious wife says in her complaint" One day I was cooking food in the kitchen, after sometime I started washing utensils , in the mean time my sister in law came into the kitchen and put a burning candle under the rubber pipe of cylinder, After some time I smelled the burning odour and switched off the regulator. It was a conspiracy to killl me". Now tell me how she came to know that it was her sister in law only?? She didnot blow off the candle but switched off the regulator first?? why would the sister-in- law put whole family's life in to danger by getting the cylinder blast??? wasnt the cylinder going to blast the house in one go and every one including sister in law nd other members of family was going to die???

I trust  you and Tajob would be able to provide me appropriate inputs on this so that this innocent sister in law would be saved from police harrasment .

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     10 September 2011

@Upasana

Practical answer -

While dealing with "Police" you cannot handle and giev any satisfactory answer at all unless you do not bribe them.

This (bribe) is the reason why the register the cases or under pressure from seniors/media.

I would like to know what is the status at present? Is the sister in law yet to be arrested or she has been arrested?

If she is yet to be arrested, then-

Apply for Anticipatory Bail, and let the judge decide on the case if she deserves to be given the right to freedom. The judge would also get convinced against the complainant if you show compelling circumstances. There are judge who go a little into details on the merits of the case during AB but do not mention it in the orders. They simply make mention of the fundamentals of the rules for AB and give it. But there are judges who are not convinced by merits of the case so they mention clearly that they do not want to hear any argument on merits of the case and dismiss it!!

If she has been arrested, then-

Let the police put atleast something before the court of law to show that sister-in-law used to harrass the complainant and she was so much hell bent to do detriment that she risked her life along with her whole family's life to kill the complainant.

It is certain and very simple logic that any prudent humanwould not put the burning candle below the gas pipe because the gas cylinder may catch fire and burst instantly. So it's not actually an act to kill someone, but and act to commit suicide. This is the position you have to convince the court not the police. Police only understand the language which talks about paying them money and nothing else.

Pls feel free to ask in case of further doubts/questions..

//peace

/Saurabh..V

I think that one isolated incident does not carry much weight, as any judge wud want to know the motive behind your sisters actions. So unless this is one incident among many others part of your wifes complaint, one stray incident out of the blue, doesnt carry much weight with the authorities. Having said that, CAW is just drama club, judges are prone to moods, consult a criminal lawyer, preferably with contacts with local CAW, he wud advise best as these guys handle these things on a daily basis. All the best..

upasna (coordinator)     10 September 2011

She is not arrested yet. The matter is in the woamen cell. I have really liked your argument. God knows wht ws we going to do without u Saurabh...Mirage. I can have a sigh a relief for my frns nw. As far as using connections are concerned..we will try to do that. because in India . nthing would happen withour it even if u r innocent. Whosoever has more contact and more money gets things done in their favor and innocent people suffer.the wife's lies need to be exposed only thn she will learn how to harrass an innocent family.

See, I know abt CAW, as my crazy wife lodged a complaint in CAW after 2 yrs of separation. The caw ppl didnt listen to my audio / video proofs that she is a liar. I submitted a written reply to the dv judge in court, then caw cant deny, and all their argression has vanished, and they are on the defensive. But in my case, dv was already in court before caw complaint. In your case I am sure that this will not be the only allegation against the sister or others. Best bet is to consult good criminal lawyer with contacts in local police station, I think 5-10k, wud be enuf, to get a favorable recco from IO. After that it will be easier to get bail in case of fir. Be careful of lawyers tho, always cross check lawyers advice on LCI..

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     10 September 2011

Originally posted by :upasna
"
hey Saurabh. V...

I trust  you and Tajob would be able to provide me appropriate inputs on this so that this innocent sister in law would be saved from police harrasment .
"

@ Upasana,

Is statement of complainant recorded before Police? What was the length and breadth of candle? What was the height the flame of candle? Was the gas pipe new or old? Was the gas cylinder empty or filled? How much filed it was? What is distance of kitchen and complainant at the time of sole incidence? Is her eyesight examined by expert?

Is there any seizure memo? Where they were seized? Is case property sent to FSL? When they were sent? Is there any delay and if so why and any explanation thereto? Is there any disclosure statement?

Is charge sheet filed?

3a.
Are witness examined? Were they cross examined? Has any witness declared hostile?

3b.
Is munshi writing the statement examined? Is complainant statement entirely hand written by him? Is there any overwriting or change of ink of pen? Is he cross examined? Is there any opinion of hand writting expert?;/is he cross examined? Has he been asked whether the copy of the FIR registered in the present case was sent to the Ilaqa Magistrate as required by the mandate of S. 157 Cr.P.C.? Was statement of 'special report messenger' recorded? 

3c
. Is case IO examined? Is he cross examined? On being reported to him id he go to the crime scene? Did he conduct investigation? Did he record his investigation?

3d.
Is complainant examined? Did she call members of her natal home just after switching off the regulator? Is there any call record exhibited in file? Did she inform her husband about the incidence? Is he examined?

3f.
Is Expert opinion on record? Is the expert cross examined?

Now this SIL's discharge from trial i.e defense is based on cross examination technique for which one needs to go over all the above part by part.

However the gist of statement of complainant is very tricky I must add but has loopholes which can be trashed during cross examination read with forceful argument with one small practical recreation of crime scene in court (i.e. before Bench using just a sealed candle and a sealed gas pipeline of same LPG cyl. maker) to demolish connivence of parties in servicing a malicious prosecution against this SIL:-) 

What one shall pay attention to most common two fallacies of Ld. Magistrate in such cases before them are; rejecting summarily the evidence of the witnesses of the defense and two is the recovery of alleged items from crime scene and how ld. Magistrate narrates its relevance in Judgment of conviction which both becomes erroneous matter under appeal then...........

I am aware lady you will not buy my above thought lines bze these are all too early a line of thinking but what I gather from your few sentences of que. are that the case in hand is going to be based on more or less "circumstantial evidence". There is no direct evidence to prove the complicity of the accused (SIL) in the crime with which she is being charged for. The circumstances sought to be used by the prosecution to prove the guilt of the accused can be enumerated as under:-

I. Recovery of the candle and gas cylinder pipe from scene.

II. Witness depositions and their cross examinations.

The well known principles governing circumstantial evidence are that :-

i. the circumstances from which the inference of guilt of the accused is drawn have to be proved beyond reasonable doubt and have to be shown to be closely connected with the principal fact sought to be inferred from those circumstances;

ii. the circumstances are of a determinative tendency unerringly pointing towards the guilt of the accused;

iii. the circumstances, taken collectively, are incapable of explanation on any reasonable hypothesis save that of the guilt sought to be proved against him and

iv. a conviction can be based on circumstantial evidence if it is of such a character that the same is wholly inconsistent with the "innocence" of the accused and is consistent only with his guilt. The incriminating circumstances that are being used against the accused must be such as to lead only to a hypothesis to reasonably exclude every possibility of his innocence.

As is apparent from the teeny - weenie brief narrated by you here and sought advise from us, it seems the case set up by the prosecution against the accused (SIL in this instance) depends wholly upon the testimonies of the IO who is/ were associated with the investigation of the present case as also the testimony of complainant and it is not our verdict but as cautioned above the prosecution case seems to be not supporting the allegations as to me "it starts and ends being occular evidence based which I have hint of"  Well I may be wrong but it is besides the point !

One may ask what should be the approach of the court while appreciating ocular evidence of a complainant? The answer to the question lies in the observations made by Hon'ble Supreme Court in the decision reported re: Kalpnath Rai v. State (1997) 8 SCC 732.

In the backdrop of the afore-noted legal principles read with one sentence que. by you before us, let us try to examine the case set up by the prosecution against the SIL:

It is settled legal position that the connection between the object recovered and the offence with which an offence is charged must always be established by evidence. In the instant que. before us, there is no evidence to show that the "candle" was used by SIL (accused person) in commission of the crime with which she is charged.

Though in a different context, but the principle of law laid down in the decision reported as Suraj Mal vs. The State (Delhi Administration) AIR 1979 SC 1408, may be noted. Where substantial evidence of the prosecution is found to be tainted or is found out later to not reliable, few incriminating pieces of evidence have to be treated with doubt. The SIL may get benefited of doubt after a lengthy trial may also be construted from your que. sentence are some of our views.

However before we go and celebrate the case there are lots of sips in-between which cannot be discussed and solution provided in these kind of limited forum discussions and I wrap up by wishing this SIL all the very best based on above observations.

I am offering myself for correction on my above observations by my ld. brothers.

Let TRUTH prevail!

1 Like

upasna (coordinator)     11 September 2011

respected sir,
I try to ask the question in a proper way.
1. The girl's family introduces her mausa ji as her maternal grandfather.
2.The girl never adjusted herself in the family even the boy took her to UK on her demand , spent atleat 3 lakh rupees on her there.
3. The girl demands either to live separate or the house should be transeffered on her name.
4 .The boy refuses to do so and the girl leaves for her mother's house.
5. He calls her everday and approached her family and relatives for recocillation but all in vain.
5. Now he suddenly comes to know tht the girl's father committed a suicide after around one and a half year of marriage and after that his wife's mother started living with his jija ji and sister.
6. He also comes to know that her mother didnt even bother to attend the last rites of her father.
7. He and his family always thought that girl has lost her father in a young age so she and her mother deserves all the sympathy.
8. the husband and his family never objected on her tantrums and misbeahve but tried to make her understand the worth of a family as may be lack of a father has caused all these behavioiural problems.
9. The girl refuse to write the surname of husband;s family , saying it is a mark of slavery.
10.She is living with her mother from last 3 years, delievered her child there, husband pays all the bills. Mother of the girl waits for the husband and his family to come and sign the papers and pay the bills.leaving her own daughter;s life in risk in operation theatre.
11. afterr 3 years of endless efforts of reconcilation, the husband gets public insult .
12. So finaly he thinks about filing divorce,the girl files rcr,after sometime when girl realizes that the husband has proofs to prove her cruelty, she files a complaint under 498 A.Which I suppose is the last solid weapon.
2. After 4 years of marriage the boy's family comes to know about all this.

13. the husband has a video recording in which she pinched the child and throw him on the bed, make him cry and say to the husband that i will never let u see your son's face,She starts clickikng the pictures of the child and threatn the husband tht i will show this in the court to cancel ur visitation rights.is this video going to help us if we file a contempt of court ??

(Guest)

a woman is the woman's "best" enemy.

upasna (coordinator)     13 September 2011

i ddnt get u ???

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     13 September 2011

Upasna, my friend,

Video as an evidence for contempt of court. No that is now how things work out.

Better place this video in front of judge and ask him to appoint a Local Commissioner for the period of visitation.

Don't rush for counter-cases which are half baked and stuff like that.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Manav Kalia (Arguing my own cases..)     13 September 2011

Hi guys, need an opinion on this. My wife put these allegations on in dv and her reply of divorce, that I was a bad and abusive father and husband throughout the marriage of seven yrs. Now I have hundreds of videos and pics throughout this time, showing me as a very good husband and father, with a very happy wife and son. I suffered a stroke and due to memory probs, I was only able to locate them now. I have mentioned them in some docs I submitted from my side recently. My thing is that videos and pics cant lie whereas humans can and will lie for sure. So I wanted some advice on how to present them as evidence, what formats etc. Thanks in advance....f divorce, that I was a bad and abusive father and husband throughout the marriage of seven yrs. Now I have hundreds of videos and pics throughout this time, showing me as a very good husband and father, with a very happy wife and son. I suffered a stroke and due to memory probs, I was only able to locate them now. I have mentioned them in some docs I submitted from my side recently. My thing is that videos and pics cant lie whereas humans can and will lie for sure. So I wanted some advice on how to present them as evidence, what formats etc. Thanks in advance....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register