LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shikha (doctor)     16 June 2011

my friend cheated on divorce

I have friend in India who is trying to work her marriage for about 8 years. Her Inlaws always keep pointing fingers on her , made her to work like a servant , Her husband is is too scared of her parents that even at some occasions he confessed to my friends that her in laws are wrong , he would never take her side and join his parents to let her down , she is very emotionally disturbed , Finally she and her husband mutually decided to file divorce ( but surprisigly her husband told her that we should not tell anyone , neither my nor your parents as divorce is still a social stigma) 

This sounds so fishy to me , but she belived hin amd they filed divorce through a local lawyer who is his husband"d friend. The notice which they signed jointly states"she started fighthing with her husband after 2 yrs of marriage and her husband moved away from his parents on her behalf , but still then she has very bad nature and she kept fighting , he is asking her to come back but she is staying with her parents for last 3 yrs. therefore he is filing divorce." all of ehich is not true , also the notice states that they did not take any dowry , which is not true as well. Unfrtunately under that emotinal turmoil my friend , without reading details signed it .

She needs help , What can she do now .please help

Learning

4 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     17 June 2011

@ Author

We think she has signed on a Mutual Consent Divorce papers and not on a Divorce suit papers as she can't sign for a simple reasoning that either one of them is required to file plain Divorce under the statutory 'grounds' mentioned in HMA and or Special Laws applicable to them. Hence what she signed is a Mutual Consent Divorce papers as joint petitioner(s).

1. Now if she is uncomfortable with the wordings (especially allegations parts as brought out here) then all she has to do is at the time of First Motion she needs to state before concerned Court that she needs very short time to think about it and no statement should be recorded from her and thus seeks time. Court will allow her time to think about the whole thing and least to least what will happen is the husband and his side will show some anger but that is all right as she should not get into something which she is not having knowledge of otherwise it is cheating / is like playing fraud upon her.

2. She needs to appoint a advocate on her stating facts as well as showing the copy of petition for mutual consent divorce (MCD) filed before said Court and her appointed advocate will assist her in withdrawing from the earlier filed MCD and fresh MCD papers without allegations needs to be filed which she feels comfortable to agree to and not that what are mentioned in earlier once. See from the post it is almost certain that she also wants to somehow get out of the bad relationship but her interests also needs to be protected and not cheated upon hence she should appoint a advocate for herself.

3. It is obvious from the post that he is playing tricks and it is not advisable for her to make any statements without she being assisted by her own appointed advocate.  

1 Like

shikha (doctor)     17 June 2011

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if it is "MCD" but it sounds like it. After they signed notice (she and her husband) in front of judge , she also recieved a notice that " you are not living with your husband for 3 years , if you donot wish to live with your husband you have to sign some papers for which she went to court and signed " 

She is very nice educated girl but in this emotional turmoil acted so naive, I want to help her as much as I can .Her husband is playing tricks on her.

Any inputs in this regard   will be appreciated . 

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     17 June 2011

1. The advise is already given : ASK HER TO APPOITMENT A ADVOCATE  OF HER OWN!

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     17 June 2011

I will explain the procedure laid down in Mutual Consent Divorce (MCD) Petitions and any deviation from this normal procedure raises the suspicion of fraud.

In MCD, both husband and wife file a joint petition before the competent court.  In the joint petition neither does the husband put any allegation against the wife nor the wife does so.  They simply say that due to tempermental differences, they came to a decision that they cannot be tied up in matrimonial relationship any further and pray the court for dissolving the marriage by issuing the decree of divorce.  In this petition, they specifically aver that they have been living separately (separation has got different meanings, separation may also be under the same roof without discharging the marital obligations to each other) for the last one year from the date of filing of petition.  She must ensure that she is not pregnant at the time of filing the petition.  They also further assure the court that there is no collusion between the parties to file the petition.  Now comes the important part of petition.  If she has stri dhan lying in matrimonial home, she has to mention that in detailed manner and also put the procedure how it will be handed back to the wife.  If dowry is given at the time of marriage, the procedure to take it back has to be clearly laid down (the word dowry is not mentioned as it is an offence to give or take dowry, but mentioned as marriage expenses and gifts worth this much of amount).  If she is a working woman and her salary has been spent in matrimonial home and during that period out of that income either directly or indirectly the members of matrimonial home acquired any immovable properties or movable properties, she shall be compensated and that  the procedure to receive compensation amount by her from husband also to be mentioned.  Finally, in Indian society, the status of divorcee woman and man are not same and the former faces more disadvantages and for compensating them, she can seek comensation in terms of money as permanent alimony in lump sum. If children are there, their custodial rights / visitation rights and the issues related to their maintenanace shall be mentioned. All these factors get place in this petition.  The method that how much amount has to be paid at the time of first motion and how much has to be paid at the time of second motion also will be put down in the petition.This petition is placed before the judge and judge separately takes the statements of both husband and wife and also take undertaking that the statements are made without force, fraud, threat and coercision.  THIS IS CALLED FIRST MOTION.

After that, to fulfill the legal formalities, both husband and wife are sent for conciliation for one or two occasions and a long date more than six months will be given.  After six months again both husband and wife will move the same petition and husband pays all the remaining amounts mentioned in the petition.  The judge will again record their consent statement separately, just like in first motion.  THIS IS CALLED SECOND MOTION. After that decree of divorce is granted.

Now, is there any need for me to comment whether any fraud was perpetrated against your friend or not?

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register