Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sarao (NONE)     07 June 2011

Living in Grand Father's House by Birth - can I claim it?

Dear Lawyers,

I am living in my Mother's Father'r House, which he self acquired, by birth. My mom has 4 siblings, My Mother, her one sister and two brothers.

They all hardly come here as they are living abroad. I am living in this house from like 24 years (by birth). I want to know, my Grand Father died in 1997, my mother passed away in 2009. Right now, I am the only one living in this house. Is there anyway I can claim ownership of this house?

Learning

2 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     07 June 2011

you cannot claim absolute ownership of the house because being a co-parcener remainaing sons and daughters can claim their share in the properties of your grand father.  You and your sisters and brothers have got share in your mother's share.

1 Like

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     07 June 2011

Just because you are there in that house since your birth, you cannot cliam rights over that property. It has to be shared with 4 siblings of your grand father. All have equal rights over it. In case, they are willing to relinquish their rights you have to take a relinquishment deed from them. Your mothers share in that property is only 1/4th of it. 

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register