LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     27 May 2011

Registerd Post and Speed Post

Is there any legal difference between a letter sent by registered post and speed post !

Learning

13 Replies

Democratic Indian (n/a)     27 May 2011

Only registered letter does not confirm if letter has been delivered. Registered letter with A/D confirms letter has been delivered if you recieve the A/D form back.(There have been cases when A/D form was not recieved back by sender even though letter was delivered). Speed Post also confirms letter has been delivered because they maintain records of proof of delivery. A reciept of "Proof of Delivery" can be obtained from Post Office by paying around Rupees 10. For this reason I personally I prefer Speed Post over Registered Post.
1 Like

prabhakar singh (advocate)     27 May 2011

you have asked about LEGAL DIFFERENCE,of course  there is none .

1 Like

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     28 May 2011

No legal difference between Regd., post and speed post.  You will also get acknd for speed post.

1 Like

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     28 May 2011

The intention of the speed post is to ensure quick delvery  whereas the registered post is to confirm the delivery to the addresse . The registered post is a legal entity which is accepted for service to the right person.

1 Like

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     29 May 2011

Sir,

Legally speaking both, registered post with a.d. & speed post with a.d. have no difference, in both cases you receive an acknowledgement from the addressee, either directly or through the booking post office. Speed post letter is delivered earlier.

The only, and important, difference is that while wth registered post with a.d. one has to wait for the receipt or request the post office for the receipt, with speed post with a.d. one can track the  movement of the letter on net on https://www.indiapost.gov.in/NSDefault.htm where the date of delivery is generated on the site and can be printed.

Kishor Mehta

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 May 2011

If AD of Registered post  is not received, the concerned post office can be asked to :

-supply the delivery certificate, which is supplied by the dept.Many of Head Post Office/Post offices are now connected thru internet and a docket number/complaint number is given instantly and a date is given by whcih the delivery certificate can be collected.The delivery certificate is in the shape of a letter.

-supply the POD in addition to delivery certificate. The POD is run sheet on whcih the postman takes the acknowledgment ( with seal in case of companies). For POD Rs.10/ are charged.

Both can be obtained and are useful.

1 Like

pradip shah (partner)     29 May 2011

Informative replies. Thanks all.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     01 June 2011

Thanks to all of you .

Now here is the fact that  motivated me to ask this question:-

Last week , I had occasion to personally visit the post post office and sent  a notice through speed post before filing the writ petition. Speed post charges were Rs. 45/-. When the court issued the notices to private respondents and I went to the concerned office for taking steps , the officer asked Rs. 70/- as postal charges for each party. I was expecting that postal charges would be about Rs. 35/- per respondent as the weight of the notice copies were half than that I had sent earlier by speed post in same case. I told the officer - " Before three days, I had paid rs 45/- only  for single side typed copies and now it is photocopied on both side, then  postal charges must be lesser than earlier". He said - notices through court are sent by registered post only and it's rate is higher than speed post.

RAKESH KUMAR JAIN (computer professional)     19 February 2012

I want to send some papers by Speed Post (not registered post) as it is quite fast. But, I want to receive an official confirmation for the delivery of the papers. It seems there is a facility called POD for this purpose. I want to know how to use this facility. Are there any POD forms available with post offices? Though the Speed Post can be tracked but I have observed that even though the article sent by Speed Post has been delivered but final status in tracking does not show that item has been delivered. I want to get details on delivery date & details of person who received it, Kindly suggest. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 February 2012

Customer can obtain POD with signatures of recipient by submitting an application to the Manager/Area Manager of the Speed Post Centre, at  which article was booked.They may charge Rs.10/.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     02 March 2012

Dear Shri Rakesh Kumar Jain and others,

If the tracking system do not show the end position of the Speed Post article, please [1] Give a written compaint to the despatching post office with a photocopy of the Speed Post Receipt; & [2] Lodge a complaint online at the India Post site.

I am sure you will get the details of delivery of the Speed Post article.

Kishor Mehta

verma76 (n/a)     14 June 2012

Now, more items, as stated below, can be tracked online via url https://www.indiapost.gov.in/tracking.aspx and a online receipt may be obtained :

·            Speed post (Domestic EMS)
·            International EMS
·            Electronic Money Order (eMO)
·            Registered Mail
·            Express Parcel
·            Electronic Value Payable Parcel (eVPP)

India Post’s online tracking allows to access tracking information and confirm the delivery of the item by using the tracking number assigned at the time of Booking. Tracking number is printed on the Postal Receipt itself .

The tracking system is updated periodically to provide you with the most current information available about the location and status of your item. You'll be able to find out the following:

How Can I Track ?
1.   Enter the Postal Article Number In the Tracking Number(s) box, 
2.   Select the Go button to view your results.
Anchor
Category
Format
No. of digits
Speed Post (EMS) Domestic
EE123456789IN
International EMS Articles to be delivered in India
EE123456789XX
Electronic Money Order (eMO)
Registered Mail
RX123456789IN
Express Parcel Post
XX000000000XX

Common Concerns :-

What if my tracking information is unavailable?

·         If you receive a message telling you that your tracking information is unavailable, it doesn't mean that your item hasn't been mailed.
·         There may be a delay between scanning events and the availability of tracking information related to those scanning events.
·         Depending on how recently your item was mailed, tracking information may not be immediately available (this is most likely to occur in rural locations, or when information is provided by foreign postal administrations).

We are happy to launch SMS tracking facility as an initiative to provide better service to our customers. Initially, the service is available for Speed Post and eMO (electronic money order). 
The steps involved:

1)    You need to send SMS to 55352 in the following format:

For Speed Post:                          SP<space>Speed Post number
                                                                                OR
                                                                EMS<space>Speed Post number

For eMO:                                       MO<space>eMO PNR No
                                                                                OR
                                                                EMO<space>eMO PNR No

2)     'IN' at the end of Speed Post number need not be given.   Eg. if the Speed Post number is  EE123456789in ; you need to send the message as: SP EE123456789.   The service is not case sensitive - you may use capitals or lower case or a mix of both.

3)    The data will be retained upto 3 months from the date of booking for the purpose of SMS tracking.

4)    The service is available across all service providers in the country. Rates charged by the mobile service provider are applicable.

Debleena Ganguly (Lawyer (In-house))     29 July 2019

So who can ask for POD? only the receipient or a third party on his/her behalf with his authorization letter can ask for POD?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register