Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Patience_Adi (IT Professional)     21 April 2011

I need help on 498a!!!

Hi All,

I have been booked under false 498a and on Jan2011 chargesheet has been filed to court. I got a certified copy from court and to my shock I could see that they have arranged for huge number of witness in the case and most of them are my wife's relatives (i,e. Uncles, cousin, brother)...and they have aslo included some other people whom I have never heard about and they all say in their statement that they were present at the time of the marriage and they were there when we demanded dowry and my in-laws have given me 1lakh rupees cash as dowry....what can I do to fight back this false case...is there anything that I can take any legal action on these people who have given false witness......please help....

Thanking you in advance...

Learning

11 Replies

(Guest)

let the trial begin at this mere statements by witnesses wont hold you guilty and at present you dont have any proofs to say that the statements are incorrect. These witnesses will be cross examined by your lawyer and conviction cant take place unless its proved beyond doubt that you are guilty.

bhushan singh charan (advocate)     21 April 2011

sir   to my opinion best defence is offence? as per u   they have givem dowary at the time of solomnization of marrige   .  THERE IS PROVISION IN LAW FOR  PROHBITION OF DOWARY  AND   ACT HAS BEEN ENACTED  SO NOW GET FILE  CRIMINAL COMPLAINT AGAINST THOSE WHO GIVEN DOWARY THIS COMPLAIN MUST NOT FILED BY U
IT MAY BE BY UR RELATIVE.   MAY BE SOME COMPROMISE ARRIVED AFTER THIS COMPLAIN. ELSE CONTEST THE CASE

Nikunj Trivedi (MANAGER)     22 April 2011

This could be a guidance -

man moves court against wife in false dowry case seeks her arrest for forcing social evil on him vineeta pandey. new delhi 16th April 2009

https://epaper. dnaindia. com

a woman and a police officer, who allegedly tried to implicate a man in a dowry case, have got trapped in their own net.

a harassed nishant saini, 32, has filed a retaliatory complaint in court seeking the arrest of his wife, anjali dargan, 30, for "forcefully giving dowry which he never demanded".
police officer asha sinha, who helped dargan, is also in trouble. metropolitan magistrate (mm) saurabh pratap singh laler ordered deputy commissioner of police (dcp) of south delhi to take action against the officer for failing to submit a report despite the court's order.
saini, an architect, married dargan, an executive with itc, in 2007. but their relationship soured within six months. dargan slapped a dowry case against saini, alleging that he had taken rs17 lakh in dowry and forcibly kept her jewellery and stridhan (bride's article) worth rs20 lakh. though saini refuted the charges, he spent six days in tihar jail. he also lost his job.

later, saini filed a counter complaint with the police, accusing his wife and in-laws of forcing him to accept the money he never demanded. when the police refused to register his complaint saini approached the court under section 156 (3) of the crpc, seeking action against his wife and her parents under section 3 of the dowry prohibition act (dpa). section 3 dpa is a non-bailable, non compoundable (cannot be withdrawn), cognisable offence for giving, taking or abetting giving or taking of dowry. it carries a minimum punishment of five years in prison. on the other hand, section 498a (cruelty for dowry), which dargan had filed against saini, has a penalty of three years in prison.
based on saini's complaint the judge, who was convinced that the wife was involved in the dowry offense, ordered officer sinha to find out whether the money was willingly given by the woman's family or under pressure from the groom's side. however, sinha, who had earlier opposed saini's bail, failed to submit a report and told the court that no case could be registered against the bride or her parents.
"instead of conducting the investigation, the police were trying to save the accused, forcing us to move a contempt of court application against sinha," saini's lawyer pradip nawani said. the judge directed sinha's senior officers to take action against her for contempt of court.

conceding that many women were misusing dowry laws to settle scores with their husbands, the delhi high court laid down guidelines for the delhi police to be followed during investigations in dowry related complaints and ipc-498a. it said in case an educated woman gets married to a person despite a dowry demand, she and her family become accomplices under section 3 of dpa.

Rohit Shukla (Engineer)     23 April 2011

Hi All,

Without going in elaborate, restricting myself to vitals of my plight ...So here it goes

• Got married in Jun 2010, an arranged marriage in hurry. I am in Delhi and she is from bokaro.
  • From day one lost somewhere, no interest in anything, master in lying, and ......xyz
  • Fine, gets encouragement from me 7 my family for education, work, & everything.... she is so happy (found out later that actually she pretended to be)
  • Leaves for her parents house on the pretext of going to them after marriage. One months lapse, she never comes. All request to bring her back or seeking reasons for her refusal to come back were responded with blatant lies and excuses and with no reasonable answers
  • Communication lost...... we are not even in touch now.

My personal findings from the sources and her cellphone records suggest her dalliance with a boy in her town who use to call her often when she was here with me and claimed by her to be a girl. Not sure and would be highly inappropriate to allege anything at this stage, but from a husband's perspective , its a silent death coz of an insecure feeling about her.

Can someone suggest me a way out or my next course of action? Thnks

Regards,

Rohit

(Guest)

@Rohit- Communication is vital to understand the next move if you have some common relatives mediate through them and find that what is the reason for such an act....your personal feelings may actually be wrong as such thoughts comes in mind at this stage.

Dont think it to be a ego issue try to communicate through some common friends relatives as such cases many times are signs of 498A and you may be in a bigger problem if you are caught unaware as I in my case did not expect this but same after loosing communication for 4 months one day found police knocking at my door showing me a 498A FIR so prepare your moves and also try to communicate and find out in local Police station in Bokaro that is a FIR lodged against you.

Thanks Mithilesh ..... no common relative. Now since i have sensed somthing fishy in her character ..... numerous instances and proofs that i have now ..... I think a self respecting husband would never comprise; even at the cost of avoiding a 498a .... coz if not checked today she will do it in future as well which would be a bigger problem..... I came in this world with nothing and would atleast like to die a respectful death than a disgustful life ..... Just one thought, my parents .... how much time does it take to get bail for them once arrested? what do they do to them in confinement, do they torture? .... Just lemme know Brother

Regards,

Rohit 

RAKHI BUDHIRAJA ADVOCATE (LAWYER AT BUDHIRAJA & ASSOCIATES SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)     23 April 2011

U CAN FILE A CRIMINAL COMPLAINT, BY MENTIONING THE AVERMENTS MADE IN THE STATEMENT OF WITNESS, REGARDING THE DOWRY PROHIBITION ACT. U CAN CALL ME AND MSG ME FOR ANY FURTHER QUERY.

1 Like

Hi Rakhi, thats sounds good ...... though bit technical especially at this stage especially when Iam still at a pre-498a stage. But thanks for that. 

Patience_Adi (IT Professional)     25 April 2011

Thank you all for your replies...

Mr.Bhusha: so, under what section can I file cases against my dear-wife and in-laws and witnesses in chargesheet....can any of my uncles can file case from my end???

Please be informed that they file DP act 3 & 4 also on me... and my MIL has also files civil procedure code 1908 26(1) against me(this is to stop me from seeing my son who is 2.5yrs old)

Waiting for your replies.....Thanks in advance!!!!

rajshree (freelance)     26 April 2011

If you have enough evidences against them, then you can file a case of FRAUD under 420. But take this risk only if you have significant piece of evidence.

Patience_Adi (IT Professional)     28 April 2011

Thanks Rajshree...

Can I file any counter cases on my wife, in-laws and the witnesses..... Though I am not looking for any revenge but yes I want to them to realize the pain that a common man/women undergo with all this false cases....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register