Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vivekanand (AA)     16 March 2011

Special Marriage Act- Some Practical information

Dear All,

I am in search of information regarding the special marriage act. Please help me I need information urgently to get married.

Followings are my queries :

A) Is Bank saving passbook valid as a address proof?

B) During applying do i need 3 witness or just on the date of marriage.

B)Lets suppose we apply today for registered marriage then should we have
1) to get married on 31st days or
2) any days after 30 day of our choice or
3) scheduled date given official by their convenience.

Please help to solve these queries

Learning

4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     16 March 2011

Any two person (irrespective of their religion) can marry under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.The formalities for a Civil Marriage under the Special Marriage Act commence with a notice given by the bride and bridegroom to the Marriage Officer of the district in which one of them had been residing immediately previous to the notice for at least 30 days. The Marriage Officer records the notice in the Marriage Notice book and affixes a copy of the notice to a conspicuous part of his office and sends a copy to the Marriage Officer of the District in which the party giving the notice has permanent residence and it would be affixed by that officer also in his office. When the notice is thus published by the Marriage Officer, 30 days time is given for any person to raise any objections to the intended marriage. From the date of receipt of objections within 30 days the Marriage Officer should enquire into the objections. If he upholds the objections, either party to the intended marriage may prefer an appeal to the District  Court whose decision is final.When there is no objection or the objection has been rejected, the parties with 3 witnesses sign in the presence of the Marriage Officer declarations to the effect that they are unmarried and are not related within prohibited degrees and have completed 21 years (husband) and 18 years (wife) respectively. Then the marriage is solemnized in any form which the parties choose to adopt.

1 Like

vivekanand (AA)     16 March 2011

Thanks for the information. Is bank saving passbook could be used as address proof document?

Jamai Of Law (propra)     17 March 2011

Bank Passbook for address proof? ...NO

ration card, recent bsnl bill, index II of house are acceptable.

(Guest)

bank passbook containing photo withlast three mnths transaction update can be address proof..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register