Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

neel (self)     01 February 2011

Who all can sign as witness in sworn affidavit?

Who all are eligible to sign as a witness (under I know the affiant  on last page) in affidavit?

Is any friend, relative (especially parents. It would be most easy for me.) allowed to sign in the absence of my previous lawyer? 

My lawyer used to sign it in his office and then I have gone alone to court and used to get t stamped there by oath commissioner (probably he had good contacts there and hence he used to be absent.)

Learning

6 Replies

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     01 February 2011

taking sign of lawyer not compulsary.

anyone who knows you, may sign.

1 Like

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     01 February 2011

@ Author,

1. If a party is represented by a Lawyer then it is obvious that he will 'identify' the deponent and not as advised by Arup which is a case when you are appearing as Party in person. 

2. When you say what you did do by visiting Court after your Lawyer signed (means identified) you that means now you need to sign where DEPONENT is mentioned and a Oath Commissioner in the Court complex fills up his Oath register with such details and mentions the name of your Lawyer and then he will ask you to sign on the last column of his Register and then he will affix Oath Stamp and his signature with dates etc.

All that has been done is legal hence closing this post. 

uttara (principal)     01 February 2011

anyone can sign

Jamai Of Law (propra)     03 February 2011

In case of 'self Identification' with passprt, driving license, pan card original and xerox and address proof...to be shown to oath commissioner....witness is also NOT required.

Oath commissioner has to ascertain  the identity of deponent as well as of the witness.... "Deponent's identity is duly established to the satisfaction of the Officer"

if witness is a practicing lawyer there............... then oath commissioner stamps it as 'whom I personally know'.

Abu Thalha (Law)     06 February 2011

identification is one thing and attestation is another. tabjobsindia and jamaioflaw are correct.  Identification can be done in various ways including identification by a lawyer or an authentic document.

But affirmation can only be done by a Commissioner of Oath in some cases and by a Notary in all cases.

Abu Thalha (Law)     06 February 2011

identification is one thing and attestation is another. tabjobsindia and jamaioflaw are correct.  Identification can be done in various ways including identification by a lawyer or an authentic document.

But affirmation can only be done by a Commissioner of Oath in some cases and by a Notary in all cases.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register