Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Seminar in Bangalore on Misuse of 498A

I got an invite  -- Any opinion on whether to attend it--

As you might be aware a seminar titlled  “Misuse of 498a violates Human Rights” is being organized in Bangalore. This exciting event is being organised in the light of honarable Rajya Sabha inviting public opinion on misuse of IPC 498A. The seminar will take place on Dec 24, 2010   with the venue details as below

Time: 4.00 PM to 9.00 PM 

Venue: Sir M.V Vishwaraih Memorial Hall

KEBEA Capmpus, Silver Jubilee Building

28, Race Course Road, A.R Circle Bangalore –09

Many prominent speakers, along with information-packed sessions containing cases of miuse of 498A along with enlightning Q&A , will fill the agenda. We are honored to invite you to attend this conference as our guest.

We look forward to seeing you in M.V Memorial Hall this Cristmas eve.

Please attend.

Learning

12 Replies

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     17 December 2010

You should not miss to attend it. S 498A is grossly misused. It must be deleted .

1 Like

B.S. CHHABRA, (Advocate)     17 December 2010

Please pass my following comments about 498A in the said seminar:-

In general, dowry is customary in Hindu community. But amongst Hindu community there are many many tribes in which a package of money is taken from the boy side by the girl side which amount is addressed by different different names in different different States of Indian Union.The cases of 498A should be made non cognigable and the Magistrate should be given discretionary power either to take cognigence or not to take cognizance of the complaints of 498A nature. This is particularly so necessary because public laughs on the law making machinary saying that the tribes as mentioned above, also come to the courts/police stations and lodge dowry complaint whereas in them reversly the money is taken from boy side what to say of dowry.

Secondly, the verification of 498A complaints should be done on sound footing prescribing compulsory legal action under 182, 211 if the complaint is found fictitious and false.

Thirdly, punishment in case of genuine 498A should be made more severe say up to 7 yrs and one time maintenance amt. should be attatched with sentence itself as fine payable to the wife as also children and the male fellow should not be allowed to divorce unless the female agrees for it, so that he may not come in a condition to marry again for dowry business purpose.

1 Like

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     18 December 2010

Please pass on this message in the Conference: In Nagaland Article 371-A prevails and govern the matrimonial issues by the said Article declaration: Notwithstanding anything in this zconstitution- (a) (i) religious or social practices of the Nagas (ii) Naga customary law and procedures (iii) administration of civil and criminal justice involving decisions according to Naga Customary law..................... unless the Legislative Assembly of Nagaland by a resolution so decides. So far the Nagaland Legislative Assembly has not touch upon those matters and all matrimonial issues are goverened by customary practices.In one way I am against this draconian provisions 498A because of its misuse but that is not to say that we do not need them in the context of family ties. So please highlight this issues in the conference. I would have attend it had it not been for christmas eve the 24 December.

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     18 December 2010

same opinion with the aboves.

tell all of them to active at lci also.

want movement at least at district level.

for this purpose at least a body to be injected in all districts of india.

(Guest)

Guys you are so much dry..and saddist.

Think of this being asked from the other side... I can bet there would be 100 innovative suggestions. But so much insecurity...and one track mind you can not think on only one line..

I would have paid some kind words in its due but .. rather I thought I would mould the discussion in its original way intended -- funny and creative...

Let me get your creative juices going

Some obvious and not so obvious ones

1.  Weekly  get together

2.  bringing divorced woman and orphanage together.

3. Recruitting them in military - after all they are hard on  counterparts.

4.  Helping them start a political party

5. .  Requiring them to do mandatory social work --- all countries requires recipient of  unemployment benifit to do mandatory social work. 

1 Like

(Guest)

Sorry Wrong post above

Nyaayapriya (Advocate for justice)     18 December 2010

onlytruth,

Will you please get the phone number and email address to contact the  organisers of the very significant seminar of 498A at Bangalore immediately and oblige

(Guest)

sure...the e mail given in invite is seminar@498a.org and there is no phone number on the invite. Please write to them and hopefully you will be able to talk?

What is your interest by the way... want to attend...want to raise the banner of revolt or support?

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     18 December 2010

Such seminars does not help much ., insted flood with presentations before the committee and moblise resorces to properly fight the cases in the legal forums.

Sorry Wrong post above

- why?

it is ok.

(Guest)

I think list of confirmed speakers will also help other members to decode

1.      T. Suneel Kumar Add’l Commissioner of Police.

2.      2. Dr. B. N. Gangadhar - Prof of Psychiatry - NIMHANS,

3.      Prof G. Karath - Prof of sociology, Institute of social and economical changes

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register