Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     02 December 2010

Fear of punishment is more important than it's execution

dear Friends,

Just now , I saw a man carrying Gas sylynders on his moped. Recently his shop was raided and he was in jail in that connection. We can find many instances of like nature i.e. after facing a legal action the delinquent becomes fearless and he restarts more serious misdeeds.

A proposition struck in my mind that -  it is fear of punishment that works and not the actual punishment . Do you agree?

Learning

9 Replies

Democratic Indian (n/a)     02 December 2010

Laws become laws to protect people, property and themselfs from crimes done by others and the person commiting the crime.

"I saw a man carrying Gas sylynders on his moped."

Is carrying of gas cylinder on moped has been made an "offence" under the law ? If yes then it is a stupid law that thinks people are kids and they need babysitting to be done by the law.

"Recently his shop was raided and he was in jail in that connection."

Do we know the real reasons why his shop was raided and why he was in jail?

"We can find many instances of like nature i.e. after facing a legal action the delinquent becomes fearless and he restarts more serious misdeeds."

We can also find many instances where a ordinary man honestly earning his bread and butter is put in jail for some purported offence, whereas the mighty and powerful responsible for murder, loot, kidnapping, rape etc. are rewarded with ministries and given Z category security. If someone is wrongly punished or atleast feels that he has been wrongly punished, it is natural for that person to loose respect for law and be found flouting the law more than before.

"When injustice becomes law, then rebellion becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

"...we cannot force values on people; we cannot say there will be a law that a person will do such and such because it is disrespectful if they do not, and therefore, we are going to make sure that people have these values that we want to teach.

Values in a free society are accepted voluntarily, not through coercion, and certainly not by law, because the law implies that there are guns, and that means the federal government and others will have to enforce these laws."

"Young people are not raw material to be employed by the political class on behalf of whatever fashionable political, military, or social cause catches its fancy. In a free society, their lives are not the playthings of government."
-Ron Paul

1 Like

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     02 December 2010

Dear Sir,

Some text were missing in original post. The accused has no lisence to do that business. He refills and sells Kooking gass sylynders in balck by charging at rs. 50 to 70 than the cost.

thanks and regards,

- Team Tripathi

(Guest)

Dr.V.N.Tripathi and associate,

It is true that fear of punishmenrt has deterent effect but this is one side of the problem. We should consider the other side also, Criminals are not born ,it is society that made criminals and criminals attack society.In my view invironment surrounding the people is responsible for criminal behavior , unless there is change in invironment the likelyhood of repeated crime is greater even after punishment , Thus feeling of fear is one of the factor to check reapeated criminal act and not a complete check to eradicate crime.

2 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     02 December 2010

There are thick skinned dare devil persons in the society who neither have fear of punishment nor it's execution.

In the past in the era of Kings for the same offence punishment used to be different for different persons according to their sensitivity.

1 Like

Democratic Indian (n/a)     03 December 2010

Yes, I fully agree with the opinion of Shri N.C. Dubey that society creates criminals. In this example government is "manufacturing" criminals out of ordinary citizens by creating a "license" raj.

If we make enough laws, then each one of us can also be made a criminal in the eyes of law. As per my understanding, this man was put in jail because for some reason, he did not have a "license" to do this business. The government is the real culprit behind this case because it has created market imperfections by "regulating" this business. Because of this market imperfection, this man is able to find buyers who are willing to buy the gas from him at a premium.

In many countries this business is not at all regulated. All that the government does is that it ensure the equipment used for refilling and other safety measures are in proper order. Nowhere do these governments send people to jail for not possesing a "license".

I would like to highlight the misery inflicted upon by "license" raj by another example:

Firearms market is also "regulated" by government and the government is the biggest culprit.

Besides creating the usual difficulty in obtaining arms licenses for citizens, the government has artificially increased the price of arms and ammunition by doing the following two things:

1) Allowing only IOF to legally manufacture rifles and handguns in the entire country of 1.2 billion people. Thus market monopoly for IOF is created. Due to this monopoly IOF is able to sell firearms and ammunition at extortionate prices, which are beyond the reach of average citizens. Similar arms and ammunition of far better quality are available in the international arms market at fraction of the price at which IOF is selling its arms and ammunition.

2) To further help IOF in its monopoly in 1986, the government under the guise of controlling terrorism(everyone knows that terrorists prefer to have unlicensed AK 47s etc. rather than NPB pistols and rifles, that too obtained on licenses!), the import of arms and ammunition by arms license holders has been put under restricted list of EXIM policy.

Now this is certainly benifitting the criminals(who anyways are never dependent on legal arms) as it ensures that citizens are not able to purchase legal arms to defend themselves. Kasab and company benefitted the most from Arms Act as not a single victim was armed to kill them. Criminals are able to purchase illegal arms at fraction of the cost. People in states like U.P., Bihar where law and order is not good have to keep arms for self defense. But it makes no sense for them to apply for arms license because even if they get an arms license, the cheapest revolver/pistol is artificially priced around Rs 85,000 by IOF. Similar pistol of much better quality can be brought in international market for around Rs 5000 only. Shotguns in legal market are artificially priced at around Rs. 25,000. Thanks to the regulations by government. What do the people do? They buy desi kattas or aadhis at prices of few hundred rupees for their self defense. Now these perfectly law abiding citizens are "criminals" in the eyes of law. Now who is responsible to make these people "criminals"? Nobody but the government. Police also regulary harasses them and extort money otherwise case will be filled against them.

Similar situation is also prevelant in most of the states in India. One gentleman has highlighted such a situation in Tamil Nadu. This is what he has to say:

"There are a many ordinary farmers who own guns( mostly illegal) in the hills around my place ( Western ghats near kodaikanal) and who out of compulsion and dire need for self protection and property protection against ( GANJA CULTIVATORS WHO ENCROACH ON THEIR LANDS) as well as crop protection have opted for illegal guns. This is because they find it easy to procure illegal arms than get a license legally and righteously and hold their head high.
As a result of this , they are subject to all sorts of harrasment by the forest and police department who do not confisticate the guns but keep THEIR threat LIVE, so as to collect a regular mamool every month.
Worst is that these low level police and forest staff suddenly collect INFORMATION MONEY to give info of any impending raid by their higher up's. And if even after that a farmer is caught with a illegal gun , they share the reward money.
Under other threads , i have highlighted the need for NAGRI to come out in vernacular dailies to make its presence felt and make it more strong and make NAGRI a movement"

Reference: https://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11796#p118428

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     03 December 2010

YES, AGREED.

I saw a man carrying Gas sylynders on his moped."

MR DI IT IS NOT OFFENCE.

BUT SALEING IT, FOR OTHER PURPOSE IS OFFENCE.

I SAW THIS TO HAPPEN SEVERAL TIMES IN MY NEAR VICINITY.

NOW GOVT THINKING TO GIVE FREE GAS FOR COOKING TO POOR PERSONS.

I AM AFFRAID THAT THESE CYLINDERS WILL BE USED TO RUN THE  PETROL CARS.

1 Like

" Criminals are not born ,it is society that made criminals and criminals attack society."

VERY NICE COMMENTS.

JUST LIKE FANKONISTINE.

MORAL AND SOCIAL VALUES ARE DEGRADING DAY BY DAY.

" and the government is the biggest culprit."

PLEASE DON'T BE SO CRUEL.

WE ARE THE CREATORS OF THESE GOVTS.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register