LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     22 November 2010

Is our youth only for show off?

A Generation of Superficiality: Is The Youth Discordant?

By Alex Mathew V:

The other day, I was at KFC, I noticed a poster stuck inside. It was about a certain “world hunger relief fund”. The person at the counter asked me if I would pay 5 to 10 rupees extra towards the world hunger relief fund. I paid the extra amount, and I stood there to observe a few other people standing in queue. Almost every person that walked in paid the extra. Does this mean that so many people really care about the poor and the hungry? Well, I shall continue my story. Right outside the restaurant door, was a lady with a baby in her lap. She was sitting on the roadside and begging for loose change. Everyone I saw, who were walking into the restaurant were ignoring her. Most people looked at her with disgust, as though she were some sort of unclean creature who should be kept away from humankind.

So what’s going on here? Is supporting a cause today something people do out of conscience or has it become a fashion statement. Opening facebook, one can see a million causes to support, and a million people supporting it. But as far I can see, there is no manifestation of this. Nothing has changed. It seems that today, people care only about what they look like, not what they are. To me, the world hunger relief fund that KFC is contributing looks like a marketing strategy. People will show up and pay up when it becomes fashionable to eat at KFC, and supporting hunger relief is fashionable right now. So is a million other causes like going “green”, going vegetarian, recycling, etc..

If we actually supported these causes spending as much time, and energy as we spend talking about them, the world would be a very different place. It seems that today we are becoming masters of superficiality. We have become shallow to the extent that we are able to deceive even our own consciences into thinking we are doing a good deed. People today care more about writing achievements on their C.V. than they care about achieving what they write. The very meaning of human existence has been reduced to something so artificial and so fake.

It is really quite a sad thing to see, and it is getting worse, the youth today is discordant and impotent. We are not a voice to reckon with anymore, we are fickle minded and change what we stand for based on what looks good in society. We are a sham. Where is the youth who fought for this country during the freedom struggle? Where is the youth that once represented energy and passion? Beauty today has become skin deep, and that is not just a metaphor.

If we at least to our own selves, strip away our pretences, and look at ourselves for what we really are, I think most of us would be ashamed at what we would find.

It is better to be cold than to be lukewarm, it is better not to help the poor than to pretend that we do, for when we pretend, we are cheapening the value of those who genuinely do, we are destroying their credibility.

We need to stop fooling our consciences, let us at least be honest with ourselves. At least then there is scope for improvement. How can we change when we are blind to the need for it?

https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2010/09/a-generation-of-superficiality-is-the-youth-discordant/

Learning

6 Replies

Vishwa (translator)     22 November 2010

Dear Roshni,

For an intelligent person, you are remarkably naïve. Begging is as well organised in India as our 2G scams. It is a kind of emotional blackmail "give me money or I will not allow you to eat in peace" and not only I ignore such beggars, with or without babies, outside MCDos; shopping complexes, popular eating joints, if I find children in schoolgoing age indulging in such activities, I scold them thoroughly and threaten to hand them over to the police.

You must know that good spots for begging are auctioned off by well organised gangs, with the complicity of traffic police, security staff of malls and all other people involved. Babies can be hired from slums and disfigured, handicapped children are at a premium. You must ask why the KFC people does not chase out such beggars, does our consititiion offer also a right to beg?

As for the NGOs or others collecting five rupees at the counter, do you really imagine that the money really reaches the needy and deserving? Poor Roshni, living in cloud cuckooland! Have you not heard of the "charity industry"?

Vishwa

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     22 November 2010

I feel both Roshni ji and Vishwa ji deal with different aspects. Former deal with attitude of the person who gives alms most of the times, and the latter deal with the mafia behind begging. 

I feel both are true and need change.

1 Like

@ Vishwa,

First let me thank you for being so polite over an article which is not written by me.

Secondly,you have failed to understand what this article is saying.And that's why such comments.But I am not offended,seeing your similar offensive comments on members in family forum,including in "Domestic Violence" thread recently.

This article is not about promoting begging.It's saying that we youth are just living in a superficial world where we show off a lot in terms of beauty,fashion or social service,by donating.We dont even know if this money is really reaching the needy people.

On the other hand,when we see a needy person around us,we treat him with disgust,whereas we cud have helped him in better ways so that he cud settle in life properly & live with dignity.
We dont have the passion of those youths who worked hard for india's independence.We want everything on a platter and therefore such is the situation of india.In other words,we are materialistic with no sensitivity towards not so lucky people.

Vishwa (translator)     22 November 2010

Dear Roshni,

I admit I did not read your (??) article fully. However this matter of seeing women and children begging on streets makes me particularly angry. I am sure you will agree with me (for once) that this is a major evil that needs to be eradicated.

As for our present day youth and their attitudes, the sight of young girls made up like tarts and clad in ugly jeans really makes me want to puke. So also these guys farting around in their tin pot bikes clutching their latest nokias. On the other hand, I have a couple of boys living as PG next door  who are doing B.Tech and they are not at all bad.

Luckily I am able to get away into real countryside. Yesterday, I was almost close to the Tibetan border and a real tribal lady served me tea - turned out it was made of goat's milk. A proper end to my search for autheniticity ;-)

Vishwa

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for replying.Yes I agree with our views..Even I believe similarly.

Having lived in France,you must have seen a vast difference in the effectiveness of legal system of France and India.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     22 November 2010

It is well known that begging is an industry and other name of minting money. In unknown place we must discourage it.

The best way is we should help the needy, in an around us to them we know personally. Also we should avoid paying/giving direct money instead we should give them the reqd stuffs like food, cloths etc. Even money got collected for Kargil victims and Gujarat earthquakes got manipulated by the administration. So, we must spare some time to do to charity and we must do it personally.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register