Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Adv. Veer Shrikant (Advocate-Aurangabad)     03 October 2010

why the short form of "LL. B." is otherwise?

Generally the long form of  "B.A." degree is Bachlar of Arts, "B.Com."degree means Bachlaor of Comerce, "B.Sc." degree means Bachlaor of Science, "M.Sc." degree means Master of Science..etc. then why "LL. B." degree means Bachlaor of Law of Legislation? though the meaning is same.... other wise it should be B. LL.........

Learning

8 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     03 October 2010

LL.B. is the degree of Bachelor of Laws. It stands for ‘Legum Beccalaureus’  which is a Latin word. In Latin abbreviations, the plural form of a word is indicated by double writing the letter- hence ‘LL.’ is short for Laws.

2 Like

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     03 October 2010

Some of the LL.B holders still commit mistakes in writing their degree. I have seen even wrongly printed on books written by respectful authors about their degree. 

Thanks for Reply... but.....i am asking why "B" is later than "LL".... see, in case of  abrivations of other degeree's  the Alphabate "B" is  indicated earlier than other abrivation , however in case of our degree of LL.B. ............."B" is indicated later than "LL".......so this is discrimination aginst us. 

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     03 October 2010

Because it is  ‘Legum Beccalaureus’ so, it is LL. first and then  B. 

1 Like

any how i like ur sincer reply ,once again thaks.........but ....if we are uttering "Bachalor of Law of Legislation",  then it should have been given the abrivation of B. LL.......... as like other degree's abrivation.  The "B" could have been reffered first.........

srikanth (MSK)     15 October 2010

to my little knowledge LL.B is "Lex Legum Beccalaureus"

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     15 October 2010

Lex Legum Beccalaureus

(Guest)

Thanks Advocate Archana. Even being the Student of Law I was not aware of this...

Advocate Veer, Thanks for posting this. It helped me to understand what i am Studying now.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register