LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     12 September 2010

Jaat-Paat Puchhe nahi Koi, Hari Bhje so Hari ka Hoi

With the peasant castes in northern India and elsewhere — variously known as OBCs (other backward castes) in India's contemporary political lexicon or intermediate castes in politics-neutral contexts — becoming a powerful interest group in the country in recent decades, the government has succumbed to their demand for a caste census, a practice that had been stopped in 1931. This became unavoidable when the BJP, the principal Opposition party, tipped the scales in favour of a caste census after some internal debate. In the Congress, too, the OBC sections made it known that they stood alongside the so-called backward caste regional parties on the issue. Fears of a possible backward caste backlash in future elections clearly became the decider. In free India, the enumeration of caste did not figure in the decennial census exercise. This was in keeping with the democratic sentiment with which the freedom movement generation was infused. But as we can see, there is a yawning gap between the high ideals of the political visionaries who aspired to a caste-less society in the social and political space, and the crassness of political practice on the ground. The next step to be expected is that the backward caste parties will now press for a bigger share of the national pie in every sphere in proportion to the numbers of the OBCs in the overall population. The corollary of this is that deprived sections of the population that do not fall within the OBC framework, or those that do not belong to the SC/ST category (for whom reservations in perpetuity have come to be the norm) may be hard done by. This is far removed from the republican Constitution envisaged after Independence. There can be no question that about a third of India can be categorised as suffering from extreme poverty, and all governmental efforts — at the levels of the states and the Centre — must accord priority to pushing these sections out of the poverty trap. Clearly this proportion is way below the population numbers that the OBCs, and SCs/STs claim for themselves. Thus, there is no getting away from the fact that a new paradigm must be arrived at, through the method of consensus involving give-and-take, to spread the fruits of prosperity in the country. If this process is not set in motion, hair-splitting will not cease on the question of whether or not members of the OBCs and SCs/STs that are well-to-do (and this is a rising graph) are not automatically "socially and educationally backward (SEBC)" as well. Thus, every effort needs to be made to render the SEBC status of a community of people dependent on income, rather than their caste origin. Hopefully, in the long run, reservations or positive discrimination in education and jobs will not be needed if the national economy is a continually expanding one. The question really is how long that wait is going to be. In the interim, ways need to be found to get the "creamy layer" out of the scheme of quotas. After all, the Constitution had envisaged reservations for SCs and STs only for the first 10 years. Clearly such a time scheme was not adequate and many of our SC/ST citizens still suffer from the consequences of poverty, as do many OBCs.

Learning

9 Replies

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     12 September 2010

In religion there is no caste; caste is simply a social institution.  Swami Vivekanand

“Jaat Na Puchho Sadhu Ki”

2 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     13 September 2010

SIMPLY GREAT.

(Guest)

Great thought but Makkad Ji and Jayaswal ji ,what is the meaning of writing Makkad and Jayaswal with your name????

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     14 September 2010

Yes, tusharji, i agree with U, Great question??

It should be

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

(Guest)

That he has already done 'TUSHARCOSMIC'.

Someone please tell me what is his caste? or which man made religion he belongs to?

He is the real SAADHU 

WHO BELONGS TO NO CASTE AND NO SO CALLED RELIGION BUT SEEMS A MOST CIVILISED PERSON.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     14 September 2010

It is high time that we must abandon our Titles.

Actually my real Name is Ashutosh Shankar,.

(Guest)

Ashu G,my daughter's name is Sufie Sidhi---names can be invented--signifying no caste--no religion--no nationality--giving a sense of belonging to the Cosmos,not to the nationality or internationality.

(Guest)

Ram Ji,U talked of Budhi in a thread,I wanted to comment but lost that thread .

There are three word in HIndi----Budhi---Budhu --Budh.

When some one goes below Budhi ,she/he is called Budhu and when someone goes beyond Budhi,she/he is called a Budh.

Budhi can lead to be a Budh and to be a  Budh ,one would have to learn going beyond budhi/mind--learn the art  of being mindless----called meditation.

This is the spiritualism,the real Dharma,the essence of Dharma .

Not the childish games generally played in the name of Dharma.

(Guest)

Dear Tushar ji, I am submitting here as referred by you;

I DO NOT have faith in any so called religion.  

I have only faith in "MY OWN BUDDHI" and I never follow any so called GOD but I follow my own BUDDHI.  

I never go in the SHARAN of any so called GOD somewhere outside since I didn't find any such God anywhere.  My own BUDDHI is my GOD.  Everyone is having OWN BUDDHI and who go to SHARAN of OWN BUDDHI is THE BUDDHA.  

SWAYAM KI BUDDHI KI SHARAN ME JAAO.. TUMHARE PAAS BUDDHI HAI SO TUM SWAYAM BUDDHA HO.  

AND IT IS CALLED AS "BUDDHAM SHARANAM GACHCHHAMI" !!!

OPEN YOUR BUDDHI AND GO TO BUDDHAM SHARNAM !!!

ALL OTHER SO CALLED RELIGION SAYS "CLOSE YOUR OWN BUDDHI AND KEEP SHRADDHA WITH CLOSED EYES AND DON'T DO ANY WORK AND COME TO THE RELIGION WITH FOLDED HANDS AND DOWN YOUR HEADS LIKE CRIMINALS AND BEG PARDON FOR NO REASON.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register