LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

capital punishment

Capital punishment should be given to the responsiable persons involved in Government financial scams.

Please comment

Learning

13 Replies

Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     12 October 2009

I beg to disagree.

As to my knowledge, the gravity of punishment for PC Act cases are directly proportional to the strength of available  evidences and not on the amount of money involved.( Correct me if wrong).

So this will result in capital punishment even if a peon misappropriates Rs.25 and there is sufficient evidence to show that he/she is guilty.

1 Like

(Guest)

Feroz ji,

Corruption reached its zenith level in India. Yes a rupee is a ruppe. I am speaking about financial scams in India. 

1 Like

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     13 October 2009

prakesh ij yr view is best.

Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     13 October 2009

I agree Prakash sir.

But does your suggestion implies enhancement of punishment for offences like cheating, forgery, falsification, counterfeiting etc. or demands a new enactment dealing exclusively for financial scams with such punishment?

(Guest)

Dear Feroz ji,

cheating, forgery, falsification, counterfeiting etc. is also part of financial scam. Responsiable persons involved in financial scam should be given capital punishment without any excuse.

individual offences like cheating, forgery, falsification, counterfeiting etc should be punsihed as per IPC.

Jamshed Bey (Lawyer & Legal Consultant +91 9810136627)     14 October 2009

The concept here in India is that the punishment should be commensurate to the gravity of crime. The law makers have decided that financial crimes do not fall within the gravest for of crime therefore lesser punishment. Capital punishment is the extreme form of deterrent theory of punishment. Thoughy hats off to china, they execute the financial criminals as well - the deterrence. It will take light years to bring such a concept to India.

1 Like

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     14 October 2009

Crime has not abated in Saudi Arabia but let us learn something from that country how to punish the guilty. Some may call it jungle raj. So be it.

Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     14 October 2009

I am against capital punishment for any sort of crime, be it a scam or offenses against body.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     14 October 2009

Police can shoot a criminal but a criminal should not be awarded the death penalty? What an exposition of law? We know custodial deaths don't we. What punishment is this?

Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     14 October 2009

I have not heard that custodial deaths are legal.

Killing a person after a trial and a shoot out at a real life crime scene are entirely  two different situation. The latter is for the larger interest of the society.

(Guest)

How many criminal politicians, land grabbers, rapists, terrorists etc. are shot dead for the larger interest of the society?

Feroz M Shafeeque (Police Officer)     15 October 2009

Police are not given power to punish the culprits. Their duty is to bring them before law.

My reference to legal shoot outs is limited to incidents like mob violences, terrorist attacks (like that happened in Mumbai) etc. where police is authorised to shoot to limit the damage caused and to protect the life of themselves and others.

The discussion is diverted due to this off topic argument and let us come back to the topic where the appropriate punishment for accused in financial scam is discussed. Police atrocities can be discussed in a new thread if warranted.

Sukhi (k)     22 March 2011

I wonder if you would take the time to complete my questionnaire. I am currently studying in the UK and I am looking into comparing preoples views on capital punishment in the UK and India and whether capital punishment is a deterrent.

I am looking for people to complete this questionnaire.

Many thanks for your time.

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/viewform?formkey=dG90dU9ZRThnamtiVzVhaUI5cXFkQUE6MQ

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register