LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sandip (Senior Engineer Mechanical)     12 September 2014

Working hour for psu executive

Sir, I am working as Sr. Engineer in a PSU. But due to work pressure and shortage of manpower seniors often compel me to stay at office for 14 to 16hrs. I have to go to office even on Sundays & Holidays. Please advise me Whether any rule is there so that i can tell them i will work for 08/09 hrs. Can I claim any compensation for Sundays/Holidays? Whether the labour law applicable to PSU executives also. Please help me.

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     12 September 2014

Designation alone does decide that person shall be covered by Labor Laws or not.

Job title alone does not necessarily decide person shall be entitled for OT or not.

Supervisory duty alone does not usually decide person performs management functions.

Employees are only entitled to overtime wages for work that is requested, acknowledged or

authorized by the employer………………………………and majority of the line mangers, HR, management do not ask for OT in writing hence worker should be smart enough to obtain evidence that he was asked to do OT……………………….and submit claim for OT in reasonable time.

Employer should pay OT with earned wages on usual pay day.

Work hours are 8/day, 48/week, beyond this OT is applicable and there is a cap on max. hours of OT also…………………….e.g.2/day, 12/week, 50/qtr.

The compensatory off (+ 1 day wages) for work done on holidays/off days/gazette holidays and wages for work done on holidays is also explained in enactments applicable to the establishment.

You may work hours defined in service conditions applicable to you.

Shortage of staff is not worker’s problem. This being management’s problem adequate arrangements should be made to create positions and to arrange relievers.

16 hours/day is a health hazard and risk factor………………………………..and such matters have been taken up at human rights levels too.

Such matters are best handled thru organized efforts by unions.

You may go thru:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Working-hours-100706.asp#.U0jhTEeBmXU

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register