LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

helpITEmployee (senior)     16 November 2013

Work place harassment by vp

My friend has 10 years of experience in IT industry and working as a manager from last 6 years.

He has joined this company in 2010.

6 months ago new VP has joined the organisation with huge salary and harassing him and his team of 26 members.

One month back only few teams are moved to new building where there is no HR.

My friend will be very cool with his subordinates and do parties and have lunch with them and spends most of time  in office and after office also.

VP shouts every one and says you should behave  like this only as you are a manager.

More over he says as a manager my friend  should not hangout with team.and making my friend and team  work  with out allowing to for lunch.

After this new VP joins ,company  removed many manages and staff saying cost cutting. Increased 5 days of work to 6 days and 9 hours to 12 hours .

My friend work 15 hours and more even on week ends ,  gets more than 100 calls per day form various claints and team meats who work 24/7.

My friend had his first argument today after 6 months of patience and now worrying about his job and getting demotivated.

All HRs and employees are afraied of him and accepting his harsh language.

Now what should my friend do 

1. VP is my friend's boss now,so shall he accept vp's torture ?
  2. As he is VP  to whom he has to complain
  3. can we take any legal action against him
  4. This VP is retried  government   officer, what should be max age of a employee
  5. he is humiliating the one who does a mistake infront of 26 members,which is wrong ,my friend is taking stand for them.Shall my friend continue the same or be rude to his team?

Need help immediately

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 November 2013

Hope you shall not mind the straightforward and heartfelt approach and shall take this positively.

You are at liberty to choose better options that may be available. Your friend is closest to the reality and can confide in you for better options he would like to persue.

You have posted that:

----“My friend has 10 years of experience in IT industry and working as a manager from last 6 years.

He has joined this company in 2010. “

My friend had his first argument today after 6 months of patience and now worrying about his job and getting demotivated. All HRs and employees are afraied of him and accepting his harsh language.

HR is another employee in the company. The HR personnel have to protect their job too.

After this new VP joins ,company  removed many manages and staff saying cost cutting.”

This VP has tactical approval of promoters/owners and this drama is happening as per pre written scriptt.

All HRs and employees are afraied of him and accepting his harsh language.”

These guys that are afraid of him and are bearing with him would eventually succeed to retain their employment in this company or they shall ease their way out without any hardships and blot on their career.

----“VP shouts every one and says you should behave  like this only as you are a manager.’

The VP has prompted your friend in clear terms to fall in line and modify the approach to work as desired by him.

Handling the boss is also a skill which is also required as workplace. This is a mandatory qualification to remain and excel at workplace.

My friend work 15 hours and more even on week ends ,  gets more than 100 calls per day form various claints and team meats who work 24/7.”

Your friend has shown his skills to handle his team and that seems to be respected by this VP and this may be the reason your friend is not shunted out while many others have been.

-----“ My friend had his first argument today after 6 months of patience and now worrying about his job and getting demotivated.”

If your friend has so good relations with his team of large number of 26 members, is in good books of employer/HR (VP is not his employer and is another  employee)  it is in his interest to move ahead and firm up his next venture as ap.

Let his team follow him.

This shall be a loud in fact a very loud sl*p on f*ce.

Hope you can read between the lines.

The best place to answer corporate wrongdoings is in the market place.

If some one hits the career, job hit the business and business standing.

This hit will continue to cause pain and shall never heal.

------“ Now what should my friend do”

1.      VP is my friend's boss now,so shall he accept vp's torture ?

NO.

But he may not expect any resolution and sincere ear from promoters for his emotional outbursts.

He may continue to perform his job.

Advice him to have a heart to heart meeting with this VP and promoters and speak that he may not be shouted upon in presence of others and he shall also modify his approach.

Since he can work long hours and is good hearted the VP may still embrace him. Thus your friend shall get p[recious time to firm up his next choice(s).

2.      As he is VP  to whom he has to complain.

MD,CEO, Chairman,Board of the company, within the company.

Police and court of law outside the company. Provided he can establish his contentions.

3.      can we take any legal action against him.

If he has evidence, witness he may.

If he has an irrefutable evidence (audio/visual) that clearly depicts a punishable offence he may.

However he still has the risk of loosing his job as promoters may feel offended.

4.      This VP is retried  government   officer, what should be max age of a employee.

In private establishment it is to be decided by the owners.

5.      he is humiliating the one who does a mistake infront of 26 members,which is wrong ,my friend is taking stand for them.Shall my friend continue the same or be rude to his team?

Since your friend is a manager he is not being protected by labor laws and trade unions.

While his team does have a remedy.

The team is pushing your friend in front of the VP and your friend without applying his managerial mind is marching ahead to take the shots on his chest.

-----“ Increased 5 days of work to 6 days”

Can be done.

“and 9 hours to 12 hours ‘

Can not be done.

After 8 hours/day and 48 hours/week OT shall apply.

There is a limit to OT also. Look into Shops and Commercial establishments applicable to your state.

My friend work 15 hours and more even on week ends”

He should not work at all on off days. He should not work for 15 hours on any day.

On off days his team should call some other manager or this VP.

He has to look for another job. If does not have time and if he is shunted out he shall be without any source of livelihood. Ask him to learn basics and utilize his time properly. He should spend some quality time for him, his family, his other pursuits in life, hobbies and hunting for better prospects in better companies with good HR practices.

He should not believe that this company only for him and he is born to serve this company only.

“gets more than 100 calls per day form various claints and team meats who work 24/7.”

He should attend to his work in duty hours and work as sincerely as he has been.

After duty hours he should focus on his personal priorities.

Ask him to give up his current habits gradually.

Tell him that his phone is not his only companion.

Advice him to loose his phone and let it be the first thing he should loose.

----“ My friend had his first argument today after 6 months of patience and now worrying about his job and getting demotivated.’

The clock has started ticking and his time has started.

Advice him to take long leave like LTA and utilize the time for introspection and to firm up his next venture.

Or he may take long medical leave. Low back pain due to strenuous work demands bed rest.

Once he has another and better employment with better remuneration/position/company he shall be motivated.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register