LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

gaurav   18 April 2015

Window grill case

im from kolkata and staying in a society of 35 flats.my question stands as follows:

my neighbour has placed a grill near his 2ft x 5ft  window (appx dimensions) . the point is he has not placed a box grill but insted placed a grill (almost double the size of his window) below his window attached to our building for placement of the compressors(2 pcs) of his flats Airconditioners. its also placed on the duct of the building which i feel should be illegal. Also, the grill extends upto 1 ft feet in front of my window 5ft x 5ft(appx) which is right next to his window. though this grill is not in front of my window but it is just beneath it . its just an inch away now. i feel its a security threat to my flat and as the compressors make noise and create heat it would add to my discomfort.

please suggest what should be done in such a case and is such a grill legal to be constructed on the buildings wall which is not the regular security box grill. i have mailed and sent a request letter to the owner of this flat but he has not done any good in the past 25 days

thanks

gaurav

Learning

2 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     18 April 2015

There are laws regarding creating Noise pollution and in case you feel the compressors would add to that ( I think they most probably would ) then you probably have a legal recourse.

Further, by duct if you mean the Airshaft through which the exhaust of the kitchen / toilets etc. is discharged into the atmosphere, obstructing the same is also most probably illegal - you would need to look into the local municipality laws regarding this.

As a first step you could check out above aspects as well as seek assistance of your Residents Welfare Society - try to get others involved too.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     19 April 2015

What kind of Association or Society do you have? Is it registered? If so under which act of the State is it registered? Has your Society got bye-laws? What do the bye-laws say regarding such matters? If you have a registered Association or Society, it is for the Association to take action. You write a complaint to the Association enclosing letters you have already written to the flat owner. The Association should first ask the concerned member to remove the obstructions within a notice period. If he doesn't act (most probably he will not) the Association should first try the police and then go to court. If the Association does not do that, you can go to court against both the flat owner and the Association. Unfortunately courts are lethargic in this country and the country is law-breaker's paradise.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register