Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

muthu   18 March 2015

Wife works in usa but filed 498a on parents/sisters

Hello sir,

Please help me ..My family and i become victims of false 498a case by my wife..

I live in USA staying separate from my wife who also works in USA on H1B visa (we are not staying together since last 1 year ...we both live in different states in USA)...

I filed for divorce in USA couple of months ago  and after which my wife travelled to India just to file false 498a against my parents/younger sisters ...She filed 498a case and returned to USA within 2 weeks...

FIR has false allegations ,lies, manipulated stories of dowry harassment ..

My sisters are studying in college and my old parents suffering with health issues ..All are made to visit police station, court which they have never seen in life..

My parents/sisters living in india received police letter to appear in police station and i have taken AB for all my family members ..

It is really horrifying experience of life to see my family suffering this way for criminal charges which we never dream of doing ever in life...

Now, all my family members are out on bail ....Its been 3 months and charge sheet is not filed yet ... 

My lawyer is saying that waiting for court summons/chargesheet call is the only option ...is waiting the only way? ( and also i think my lawyer charged huge amount for AB )

My lawyer asked my wife's father abt their demands for closing the case/divorce and they demanded money.... I agreed to pay the amount and then my wife's father stopped responding to my lawyer's phone calls ....My wife family is not ready to end the case/divorce me even after agreeing to her money demands.....Either they want more money or they enjoy troubling my family for years and years by dragging the case..

what is next step should i take to save my older parents/college sisters from this case? 

Can i not quash 498a case before charge sheet ? 

can i quash my parents/sisters names from 498a case ?

We both (My wife and I) are staying in USA so is there any option to close 498a case against my family in India?

If husband and wife both are out of country then how false 498a case will proceed ?

Should i waste next 5-6 years of my life to fight for this case? How long trauma ? 

Please guide me ..

Learning

11 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 March 2015

you have not intimated on which ground you applied for divorce.

You have not  also indicated how the things had gone so bad.

You have not whether her allegations are tue or false.

You have also not intimated whether you are accused or not.

This makes your query vague.

Now coming t specific questions you posted

only your lawyer well versed with all facts and papers can suitably advise you.

We both (My wife and I) are staying in USA so is there any option to close 498a case against my family in India?

in criminal law there is no provision to quash the case simply because complainant is out of country.

If husband and wife both are out of country then how false 498a case will proceed ?

yes it can proceed.  she can visit India as and when her evidence is needed  (which will happen only after prolonged suffering of all accused).  You if accused can be made to attend each date in India or if unable to travel frequently can be made to remain in India. If you are not accused your presence / absence from India is not relevant.

Should i waste next 5-6 years of my life to fight for this case?

Perhaps you have no choice. Even quashing exercise can take time.  Even if she is ready to withdraw the complaint still you have to make application jointly to the high court  to close the case.

How long trauma ?

This question can be replied better by astrologer not subject to legal advise site.

ADVOCATE TRILOK (CRIMINAL family PROPERTY topfreind@gmail.com )     18 March 2015

498 A cases are easy to win only it takes time.

Do not rush for quash etc , it will complicate matters in lower court.

Show us case papers and we will show you the proper procedure to come out of it..

muthu   18 March 2015

Originally posted by : Raj123
Serve her divorced paper in USA.
Get you're divorce done in usa. Under HMA guidelines

Thank you sir for your response ...

I did serve her divorce papers in USA post which she travelled to india to just file false case against my family..

Divorce case in USA is still under progress and she is not responding to legal court proceedings in USA..

Is divorce in USA of any use in india ? How can i use it in india in this 498a case or to get divorce in india ? Any help, will of of great use to me..Pls suggest me..

muthu   18 March 2015

Originally posted by : Sudhir Kumar

Thank you sir for your reply ..
you have not intimated on which ground you applied for divorce.

Irreconcilable differences 

You have not  also indicated how the things had gone so bad.

Destiny sir ...Just like how others in this forum are suffering with false cases

You have not whether her allegations are tue or false.

I have stated it sir....

FIR has false allegations ,lies, manipulated stories of dowry harassment ..

Completely baseless and utter lies...

You have also not intimated whether you are accused or not.

She mentioned my name and my parents and my younger sisters names in her FIR .....She did not spare me and any of family members....How can college studying sisters are dragged into criminal case?  my sister's future and career gives all of us sleepless nights.. 

This makes your query vague.

Is divorce in USA of any use in india ?

divorce is divorce and is not a tool for any other case

How can i use it in india in this 498a case or to get divorce in india ?

whether you get the divorce of not.  It irralevent for the 498a case.  even if you get divorce the case will not close.

muthu   18 March 2015

Originally posted by : Sudhir Kumar

Is divorce in USA of any use in india ?
Thank you sir for your response...
divorce is divorce and is not a tool for any other case

You have got me completely wrongly ..what i meant to ask is someone suggested me to get divorce in USA ...In reply to that i just asked "will divorce in usa help me to fight/strenghten my case 498 case/divorce casein india to save my family members  "

Thank you for your response  sir..

Rocky Smith (Instructor @ Calcutta (rockysmith4calcutta@gmail.com))     19 March 2015

Please take -

a) Speedy Trial / Proceedings (Writ Petition in High Court) [Priority 1]

b) Perjury (CrPC 340 read with 195 CrPC)  [Priority 2]

c) Extortion (383 IPC read with 384 IPC. Extortion) [Police complain like FIR or sue in the court as private complain. Priority 3]

- - As your weapon to fight against it.

It is also advisable to fight in-person (Without Advocates) at least in High
Court. Since you are in USA then please appear through a relative whom you trust like your parents, brothers, sisters of any good friend etc.

what is next step should i take to save my older parents/college sisters from this case? 

Please apply in High Court for quashing with speedy trial immediately.(e.g. 1st preyer is quashing, if not granted then the second prayer is speedy trial in the same petition.).

Also file a counter FIR against her and her family members in both USA and India through you, your parents and other family members.

You can apply for FIR quashing, however, it is not easy. Please prey both quashing and Speedy Trial in the same petition (If quashing is not granted) as I suggested above.

Yes. Please prey both quashing and Speedy Trial (If quashing is not granted) in the same petition as I suggested above.

Speedy Trial is the only option to close the case permanently. You need not come. Please make a petition of CrPC 205 for permanent exemption. Others in India should attend and follow-up the case until dispose of.

Should i waste next 5-6 years of my life to fight for this case? How long trauma ? 

Please guide me ..

498A is an extortion business of most of the advocates and judges. These are the real culprits. They always wish to keep this problem remain in the society.

That's the reason I always suggest people to appear HC and fight in-person. If anybody acquires this will-power then 498A will not take much time, else I really have no answer of this question. 

Please read each of my posts carefully in the following links for sample petitions and other necessary clues.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Fight-against-misuse-of-498a-ipc--103100.asp#.U6gslUCm9dg

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Best-way-to-fight-against-false-498a-103111.asp#.U6gsRkCm9dg

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=104564&offset=1

1 Like

muthu   19 March 2015

Thank you rocky sir...will follow your advise ..

Thanks for your valuable guidance ..You are helping many people's lives families.. 

BHUWAN RAJ 09839268489 (lawyer)     13 April 2015

Dear

Just read Geeta Mehrotra judgement by searching it on google. It will help u. Geeta Mehrotra versus State of U.P. and also read Arnesh kumar versus State of Bihar.

Thanks.

Dev   30 April 2017

Hi Muthu.. hope you get this message. I am an nri too and stuck in a similar situation as yours. Can i talk to you when you are free?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register