Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Venkattaraman Arthanari (GM - HR and ADMIN)     28 August 2014

Whether a doctor can communicate to the patient

Sir,

I am a Allopathy doctor working for a hospital in chennai, I resigned the job and joined with another institution and sent SMS communication to all my patients stating that i left the said organization and joined with new organization and request them to contact me if there is any emergency.

The previous organization is seeking explanation from me and also threatning me stating that they are going to initiate legal action against me.

I personally feel that i hv not committed any crime, as a duty bound doctor in the interest of the Patients well being i have communicated the change of work place as stipulated by M C I.

Please clarify that if my previous organization is right in initiating action is right or wrong.  Am i bound to give explanation to my previous organization.

Please tell me whether can i sue my previous organizzation for this

Dr Sudhakar Reddy

Learning

2 Replies

Rangee (Lawyer)     29 August 2014

AS you have worked for salary in a hospital the patients have been treated both on the good will of Hospital and your knowledge and experience. You have communicated with your patients with good intention to keep them in touch in the event of urgent contact during the course of treatment. This should be your defense you have communicated not for business but for keeping them informed about change of place It is Ok.  If you have any agreement /conditions with your previous employer where in you were barred from communicating with your patients, then the hospital may get rights to take legal action on you.

R.S.K.Singh 

Suresh (st)     02 September 2014

Sending SMS to the patient was illegial if  the data base(i.e.) contact number was taken from the 1st orginasation, because it comes under intelluctual and copy right act !

if the SMS send to your own patient its Legal!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register