Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S N Thakur (Entrepreneur)     22 July 2011

Whether a case under section 138 of N.I. Act is maintainable

Facts:-

Content of a complaint states that (a) the accused is known to the complainant since last 4-5 years (b) that the complainant invested money to an unregistered business (through an unwritten agreement) against a share of 3% profit per month (obviously the business were to be carried on by the accused on behalf of all members), the complainant also alleged (c) that the full investment were returnable to him after expiry of one year (this also through an unwritten agreement) (d) that the complainant made said investment to said unregistered business through cheques in the name of the accused. (e) that after making said investment complainant received his share of 3% profit for almost one year (but now he preferred to term said profit as interest) (f) many days after making said investment the complainant demanded documents from the accused about the business where his money has been invested (g) the complainant further alleged that after receiving some documents from the accused, he grew suspicion in the accused and that after expiry of one year accused did not refund him said money, he also arranged a telecast against the accused (h) meanwhile the complainant forced the accused and received two undated cheques but amounting lower than the invested amount, (i) the complainant therefore filed criminal complaint u/s 420/406/468/471/120B IPC against the accused involving said cheques issued by the accused and other grounds (j) he also filed another complaint u/s 138 of N.I. Act involving the very same cheques to a different jurisdictions.

On the other hand (i) the accused denied giving any business documents to the complainant even before accepting said investment or later and they are falsely made by the complainant, that there is ups and downs in the business and he himself too invested in same business. He has been maintaining all verbal understanding with the other member related to the concerned business. In an earlier occasion, (ii) the accused was also compelled to file a complaint against said complainant u/s 420/406/34 IPC in response to a telecast firstly arranged by the same complainant which was also based on false statements, (iii) for not admitting a loan in said telecast taken by said complainant equivalent to the 3/4th of the amount of his investment said. (iv) for forcing said undated cheques for further loan and inappropriately presenting them by putting dates on these cheques by same complainant. (v) for destroying common business and injuring said accused reputation (vi) said complaint of the accused was converted into F.I.R. later but only after communication with the police superintendant that too after his release on bail from the relevant investigative detention. (vii) That the business in question is a joint business and he being competent; the business was carried on by the accused on belief of other member. Every month the complainant is entitled to avail loan from the accused at a rate of 3% on his investment but payable on condition till the loan amount taken by the complainant would become equivalent to his investment, thereafter, total amount of said loan taken would be settled/adjusted with the respective investments and the asset of the business would be liquidated to the members proportionate to respective investments but said complainant injured the business when it needed its member's support most.

So I have the following questions for others to answer:-

Question 1: Whether a case under section 138 of N.I. Act is maintainable considering the following:-

- Cheques were issued NOT for the discharge of the debt or other liability of the accused but these cheques were issued as a part advance/loan to the complainant by the accused as per the understanding of a particular partnership business at will where the accused and the complainant both are deemed to be partners. Apparently, the complainant misused the cheque also altered date of the undated cheque without the knowledge and consent of the accused. is this case maintainable under N.I. Act?

- The complainant is also deemed to be a partner at will of the firm where the partnership continues as separate identity that deals with the members therefore, as these cheques were issued as advance money/loan by the accused therefore, for non-existence of any legitimate debt or liability of the accused can really the complainant maintain said case under section 138 of N.I. Act?

- Are not validity of the case questionable as the date of this cheque has been altered by the complainant to the prejudice of the accused.

- Does the police case filed by the accused not support all the above said observations in his favour.

Question 2: Whether the Instant complaint is liable to be challenged considering the following:-

- Time barred since the complaint was filed by the said complainant much after two months from the date concerned notice was received by the accused?

Question 3: Whether the Instant complaint is liable to be challenged considering the following:-

- Filling of complaints in two different jurisdictions, cause of action has been decided by the complainant about said cheques accordingly complaint was filled u/s 420/406/468/471/120B IPC before the magistrate in South 24 Parganas, later another complaint was filled by the complainant regarding same very cheques but in a different jurisdiction than the earlier decided jurisdiction i.e. before the Magistrate in Kolkata. Complaints filed regarding the same very cheques in two different jurisdictions not questionable?

Learning

1 Replies

S N Thakur (Entrepreneur)     22 July 2011

SKJ - ADVOCATE

Learned Sir,

I thank you very much for your  impartial reply after perusal of the above matter posted by me.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register