Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

yogesh (will tell you later)     23 July 2008

What is the meaning of item numbers in High Court?

In the high courts there are certain digital codes which are displayed on the Displayed Board. Can any one inform me the detail information about the same? Please also inform about the correlation between the Case Numbers and the Item Numbers?

Learning

4 Replies

Vikram Chandra (Advocate)     25 July 2008

Dear Yogesh,

As far as the Digital codes in your query are concerned I could not understand the same can you explain the same in detail.

Further, the co-relation between the case numbers and item numbers are nothing but the item numbers are the serial numbers in the list and the case numbers are the numbers which are alloted to the specific case.

regards.

shamit sanyal (advocate)     26 July 2008

In certain high court you have the original side and the appellate side.and along with the monthly list a daily list is also published.

In every list there are seperate space alloted for the respective honble benches.

In those you will find 1st on your left hand side the serial no(which can also be refered to as the item no) followed by the case no then the cause tile and in some cases at last the Advocate on records name appear.

Now on the display board you see the serial no/and there are certain other sings to denote whether appellate side or original side /daily list or monthly list is being called on in that room.

For example lets say item no 39 from appellate side daily list  is being called on in court no2 then on the board you will see AD 39 in the space alloted for court no 2 similarly if item no 2 from appellate side monthly  list  is being called then in the space alloted for court no 2 you will see A 2 or for example  Original side daily list  is being called on in court no31 and item no 6 is being heard then on the board you will see OD 6 in the space alloted for court no 31 similarly if item no 22 from Original side monthly  list  is being called then in the space alloted for court no 31 you will seeO6

Any wayi am not sure whether this system prevails in all the  high courts or not

Arvind Gupta (student)     17 February 2012

u r info realy provd very useful 4 me. i along wid my friends had been confused since d very 1st day of our training at Calcutta High Court but now i fully understood it & can explain dis 2 my friends as wel.
tnx alot!
i have 1 more query which is related 2 what u explained above. what is d difference between Original side & Appellate side matters?
hope 2 hear 4m u soon.

Satya Sundar Mandal (Advocate)     26 June 2018

The Chartered High Courts, ie Bombay, Calcutta and Madras, along with the Delhi High Court,  have Original Civil Jurisdiction over matters, thus empowering them to hear civil suits in the first instance, albeit in a limited territorial and pecuniary jurisdiction. 

Thus, Calcutta High Court has an Original Side and an Appellate Side. When speaking of Original Side with respect to Calcutta High Court, you refer to matters arising in the territory of the High Court's Original Jurisdiction. The boundaries with respect to Calcutta High Court Original Side is roughly the area upto Shyambazar in the North, the river Hooghly to the West and A. J. C. Bose Road to the East and South, with the addition of Ballygunge. Thus, if a writ is filed in the Appellate Side, it means that the subject matter of the writ arises from beyond the Original Jurisdiction of the Calcutta High Court. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register