LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prashant   29 September 2015

Unable to contact house owner

I am staying in a house as a rent from last 1.5 year. Intial 2 months I had paid the rent on time and after that I have stopped paying the rent to house owner as he was failed to fullfilled the some commitment he told us while renting the house to us.We have lost his contact detail and he do not live in Bangalore. He is also not bother to contact us and not asking for rent for last 1.5 year. Our rental agreement is also crossed the 11 month duration. Now I want to leave the house. I dont know whom  I should give the key. He is having our permanent address also.

Weather he can claim some legal action against us?

Learning

1 Replies

Anand Bali Adv. (Advocate Solicitor & Consultant)     30 September 2015

In case where the land lord is not traceable for about considerable period of time and the Tenant wants to leave the house, he has to give a notice of vacancy to the  the local District Magistrate with the list of his authentic and reasonable efforts by which he / she has approached Land Lord for intimating him of their vacancy."Every tenant so vacating a residential building shall give a notice there of in writing to District Magistratenot less than fifteen days before vacancy". In case of delay of notice District Magistrate can condone delay only on the grounds with sufficient cause for the tenant not to give notice with in time.

Here, while giving the notice the tenent has to mention all the details of his tenancy , payment of rent amount and his efforts to trace the land lord with such an efforts of a sencible man and not for any other hidden motive.As per the Regulation of Letting, Rent and Eviction Act. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register