LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dhanashree   29 April 2016

UK divorce validity in India

Hello guys, I have a question about proving the validity of UK divorce decree in India. Me and my ex, born n brought up and married in India and moved to UK. Due to differences and lots of pressure from him, I applied for divorce in UK. A notice was served to him in which he mentioned that he was aware of divorce petition and had no objections. Now I do have decree absolute. I am willing to marry again in India but at the registration office the staff doesn't know if that decree is valid or not. My question here is, is there any way to get the decree legalised in India, other than approaching court for an indian divorce decree ( suggested by a lawyer but seems too time consuming) ? I have checked many articles explaining validity criteria and my divorce fulfils all of those but what is the easiest way to get it explained on an indian document? Im a bit worried about it as I have been through a lot of hardships due to this marriage and its breakdown. I am really looking forward to my new life and want it to be free of any more stress. Any help will be much appreciated. Many thanks, in advance, to all those who will respond.

Learning

2 Replies

Dana Kayoni (Expert Humanitarian and Lawyer)     29 April 2016

Unless such is questioned back in India by way of petitoni in family court vis a vis a RCR petitoin, your UK divorce decree is valid.

saravanan s (legal advisor)     29 April 2016

Only divorce that is obtained through mutual consent abroad is legally valid back in india.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register