Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hitesh Paliwal   05 September 2015

Transfer of flat within family (blood relations)

Hello,

Facts of the case is as below :-

Co-operative Housing Society got formed in the year 1993, which is duly registered. My dad had purchased a flat from my uncle in the year 2002 (within family transfer). The transfer of flat is through general power of attorney and agreement of resale.

My dad is staying in the flat since 1993 and has not collected the share certificate.

My dad is applying now to CIDCO for change of owner name. CIDCO has asked for society NOC.

My dad being the transferee has submitted all the documents required for compliance of transfer in the year 2015, as we are having general power of attorney for getting NOC from the society. The chairman/secretary of the society before issuing NOC demanded presence of transferor inspite of having general power of attorney.

Also I would like to clarify one thing that due to our family issues the transferor won't come forward for any help.

My questions are:-

1. Whether the society is right in demanding presence of transferor, inspite of transferee having general power of attorney ? Please give reference of any sections or bye laws if it is required/not required (or any case law reference).

2. Can my dad collect the share certificate as we are having general power of attorney ?

3. Any other consequence can arise for applying now to society/CIDCO, since 13 years has been passed from sale of flat ?

4. Can my dad attend annual general meeting ? As it is clearly mentioned in the GPA that my dad can act as a member in my uncle behalf.

5. Is there any defect in title of property ? as the agreement pertains to year 2002 but we are applying now for change of name. I read supreme court decision on Suraj Lamp & Industries Pvt Ltd Vs State of haryana. It applies prospectively. Any other issue in the title of property ?

Please advise.

Learning

3 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     05 September 2015

1.  IF the agreement is duly stamp-duty paid and duly registered before the Registrar of sub-assurances, THEN the agreement is final and irrevocable and the Society has no jurisdiction to summon the transferor (seller)

2.  A GPA is not sufficient for transfer of "immovable property.  In maharashtra POA (for immovable properties) is required to be mandatorily on 500/- stamp paper AND DULY REGISTERED, else the POA is null & void.  

3.  A POA holder derives all rights, to the exception of "members right" to attend Society meetings under the MCS Act.

4.  The Transferee (buyer) has a very good option of filing a grievance before the Consumer Court, for failure of the Society to comply with membership requirements.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
Read Articles: https://hemantagarwal21.blogspot.in/?view=sidebar

Hitesh Paliwal   05 September 2015

Thankyou for your valuable feedback.

Sirjee, what you are saying in respect to GPA & Agreement of resale is absolutely correct as it has been held by the supreme court in the Suraj Lamp & Industries Pvt Ltd Vs State of haryana case, in the year 2009. But it also laid that these transactions are not to be confused with genuine transaction entered by family members, freinds, & relatives.  

The verdict given by the supreme court applies prospectively and said that the tranactions which are already concluded before 2009 are not to be disturbed. In my case agreement of resale and GPA took place in the year 2002, its only procedural compliance regarding change of name not being done earlier. 

So society cannot question the validity of transaction & summon the transferor ?

Advise.

Supreme court decision - https://www.legalblog.in/2011/10/validity-of-sale-by-execution-of.html

Attached File :
  • downloaded: 70 times
  • kalyan mukharjee   06 September 2015

We are two brothers and two sisters. Both our parents passed away this january & august 2015. There is no will.  we want to give the property in rent immediately. The property is also not partitioned in our names. We plan to transfer the property amongst the four of us. 

What is the legal procedure for trasferring property to our names? 

Thanks

kalyan mukharjee

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register