Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Poorna_Rai (teacher)     01 August 2014

To withdraw divorce petition or not

hi,

i am 29 years old female. got married in 2007 , and i came to my parents in 2011 due to physical and mental torture from my spouse and he is interested in only in my earning. i  filed for divorce based on cruelty in dec 2013. i have a 4 years old daughter. i received an envelope letter to appear in people's court for counselling. my spouse has determined not to give divorce, and to prolong the case as much as possible..he is not ready to give money for our daughter, i dont expect any alimony also. now i have got admission for higher studies in canada. i am planning to get pr(permanent residency, which i may get after 2 years of study) there, my daughter will be with my parents meanwhile , then i will take her.

i have few questions

-- can i withdraw my petition now without my spouse's involvement, and if i do so, can i start fresh divorce petition in canada after my PR or should i come back to india to start case afresh

-- what happens if he files RCR while i am studying in canada

--in this scenario, what is the better method to get my case dismissed--to withdraw my petition or not to appear in court for further proceeding( my belief is it will get dismissed by default-is it right?)

-- if at all i continue my case in india, how long it could take

-- he may ask for visitation rights without giving any money, he is not earning right now and a drunkard. 

please reply

Learning

6 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     02 August 2014

1. Ideally you should appoint someone close via Power of Attorney before leaving for CN and make appearance in a Court as and when your Evidence are required to get Decree in Divorce.

2. You are not suggested to file Divorce in Canada as it will not be valid in India.

3. As and if he files RCR it may go exparte against you due to your non-appearance and then within one year he is eligible to seek Divorce from you. Also with exparte RCR he is eligible for not paying any maintenance to you.

4. If you donot want to press your divorce case in India then you can withdraw it on your own (or via your advocate) or if you donot make appearance with passage of time it will get dismissed due to your non-appearance.

5. Normally divorce case goes for average 4-5 years. It also is subjected to Court workload and various related subjective factors.

6. If he is not earning and can prove the same via Court Commissioner Inquiry then he will not be asked to pay "maintenance". If he cannot do that then based on State's Minimum Wage pre-ponderence possibilities Court will levy base minimum maintenance amount upon him. He can seek "visitation" and unless you/your side proves that he is rapist or anti-social and/or threat to society he is still eligible for visitation of his child. So far as "custody claims" of minor goes; a fit parent is one who can nurture h/er child to the best of h/er capabilities under h/her personal protection and care and show the same to a Court. In my opinion a natural father is natural father inspite of current unproved allegations of his drunkenness and hence a harm to tender minor, hence at this stage it shall be social disbelief that such alleged natural father will not be declared fit to be custodian father if he sets motion of court vis-à-vis your physical absence in such tender age of minor in question. Court like to handover custody of minor to a fit parent and not to a absent parent. Hence, see where you as tender age minor’s natural mother vis-a-vis alleged to be drunkard natural father fits in eyes of law as well as society of minor and possibly claim to succeed when and/or if such 'custody' claim being made by a natural father. 

7. Mind it when you say you will get PR status then it is obvious you may call for minor to CN and without natural father’s written consent the child cannot be removed from Indian jurisdiction to CN jurisdiction and at the CN airport itself you will see the Authorities hurdle! So donot make hurried taken for granted decisions when a minor is in crossroads between parties.  

8. Question here is can your parent produce proof of his drinking habit and thus harm to his own minor? Question here is can your parent and or you produce proof of neighbor(s) of his drinking habit and thus harm to his own minor? Question here is can your parent and or you produce proof of relative(s) / immediate family members of either side on his drinking habit and thus harm to his own minor? Question here is can you as respondent in a 'custody' Application of a natural father subject natural father to medical test to prove his drink contents in his blood and thus harm to his own minor? To me the answer is awaiting in a Chamber discussion and hence make a call accordingly when question of tender age minor 'custody' cometh and hence I never give generic reply when such question is asked in forum unlike some so called child custody experts here who barb that custody of minor is always with natural mother!!!!!

[Last reply]

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     02 August 2014

agree with expert, nothing left to add

Poorna_Rai (teacher)     02 August 2014

Thank you Tajobsindia. That cleared my doubts. kindly reply my one more question

While studying in canada, my parents will look after my daughter. Can my spouse file case for custody of our daughter stating that i am not with my daughter. (i dont think he will be interested in custody of my daughter, but this thought scares me) He visits my daughter once in two or three months.

scenario 1: when divorce petition is withdrawn , can he file for custody of 4 years old daughter?..

scenario 2:  if the divorce case goes on with  my father in the case on my behalf, can he file for custody? Or will the custody will be determined based on my daughter's wish?  

Poorna_Rai (teacher)     03 August 2014

Thank you Tajobsindia

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     03 August 2014

Your case is weak on all counts. here's why:

Physical cruelty is very difficult to prove unless there is physical evidence. Mental cruelty is even more difficult to prove, especially since you are mentally fit to pursue studies in Canada so there is little evidence to prove that there was sustained mental injury. 

When you are separated, through a legal decree or otherwise, matter of custody will automatically arise. He can file an application to seek custody irrespective of what petitions/applications are pending or not. In custody battle between father, mother and third-party (however related), the Court's preference will always be to father/mother first.  You will have to provide overwhelming evidence to justify to the Court why the natural father should not get custody and your father/mother should get it, instead.  

Withdrawing a petition comes at a heft price which most advocates are blissfully unaware of. Defenses of res judicata, constructive res judicata, estoppel, waiver and laches become powerful weapons to throw all new allegations out. In short,  you will not be able to reassert the same allegations again unless the Court allows withdrawal with specific provisions preserving your allegations. It all depends on the judgment of the Court vis-a-vis your application to withdraw, which has to be very skillfully drafted. Other obvious choice is to drag the case on... Most advocates are good at this anyway!  The better the advocate, the longer is the case dragged!

Finally, as usual, Adv. Nadeem Qureshi's advice is usually the most informative. :)

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 August 2014

Expert Mr. TajobsIndia has given an elaborate opinion to your case which is more than sufficient and nothing more to add. However, since you have raised subsequent query, shall render  my reply too:  The child can be taken care of its mother or the father, if you can trust your parents for the child's welfare, why don't you repose the same faith on the child's father who is equally responsible for the child's welfare and interest.  He can very well file a child custody case quoting the same reason that the child is not being looked after  by her mother, hence as a father he will take care of the child in the absence of mother. It will be more dangerous if your father is prosecuting your case on the basis of of POA deed given to him, better consult your lawyer on the basis of ground realities and decide further course of action.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register