LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hemant K Rai   04 February 2017

Theft of vechile

My car was stolen, I filed a complaint which was registered as FIR the next day.

But the next day i found my car standing at some other place(informed by some other person, car was standing in front of his shop). I informed the police and recovered the car, the police took it to the police station and  the Sub Inspector who was looking the case asked me to come next day and meet him personally). After 2 days when i went to police station, the Sub Inspector  was not present, then someone told me to meet the daroga there,he asked me to write a letter citing that the car was stolen but found next day so i do not want any further legal action, they took my ID, Car RC and gave me the car.

After some day the SUb Inspector called me and said that the case was still pending as no paper work was completed and i need to come to police station and meet him. I want to know what is the procedure for such type of cases(Specifically in my case)

Learning

4 Replies

Dr. Atul [9013898936] (Lawyer, Scholar)     05 February 2017

Co-operate and visit police. No big deal. IF they insist, write that the car was stolen, the theft was reported and the subsequent chance recovery was also reported; keep a copy with police acknowledgement of receipt. DO NOT write anything on closing investigation. Demand your original documents back.

Property was stolen - offence was committed - it has to be investigated; whether on a low priority or not at all, that's police's headache, not yours. What if the stolen car was used for some criminal activity in the interregnum?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     05 February 2017

One can not guess how the car was used from the time it was stolen to the date when it was stolen, and there is no other way open to you than to co-operate with the police.

If any CCTV  footage is there, file RTI and get the coverage from the time you have parked the car and CCTV footage at the place when the car was found.  Probably you may get some clue.

Hemant K Rai   05 February 2017

The fact is that i got my car and papers.Everything regarding the car was handed over to me by the police. I had written a letter as asked by the police regarding the found vechile and submitted there too. Issue is that i dont have a copy of the acknowledgement of the letter with me. Can it pose a problem later.Regarding greasing the palm, we had given something to the policeman who had handed over the keys of the car to me . My only concern is dat since the policeman who had looked after the case was not given any thing...i.e greasing the palm and he had called me saying that car should have been given through court and not directly otherwise if the car is confisicated in the future by police then a case of theft may be drafted...Is he right in any sense or he ia just bluffing in order to get some money from us....

Dr. Atul [9013898936] (Lawyer, Scholar)     05 February 2017

Originally posted by : Hemant K Rai
Regarding greasing the palm, we had given something to the policeman who had handed over the keys of the car to me . My only concern is dat since the policeman who had looked after the case was not given any thing...i.e greasing the palm

What! He did not give you a receipt?

That apart (!) so far as I understand, a vehicle involved in a crime (theft in your case and at least a theoretical possibility of anything else) is released on superdari after formal paperwork and the owner of recovered-stolen property is under an obligation to put the property at the disposal of the police as and when directed to do so, if considered necessary for investigation of the offence. I fail to understand how the vehicle was handed over to you just like that ... its weird to say the least! The best I can think of is make a written request asking for steps taken by the police on your complaint.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register