LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     03 January 2010

The art of proper questioning !

Jack and Max are walking from religious service. Jack wonders whether it would be all right to smoke while praying.

Max replies, “Why don’t you ask the Priest?”

So Jack goes up to the Priest and asks, “Father, may I  smoke while I pray?”

The Priest replies, “No, my son, you  may not! That’s utter disrespect to our religion.”

Jack goes back to his friend and  tells him what the good Priest told him.

Max says, “I’m not  surprised. You asked the wrong question. Let me try.”

And so Max  goes up to the Priest and asks, “Father, may I pray while I smoke?”

To which the Priest eagerly replies, “By all  means, my son. By all means. You can always pray whenever you want  to.”

Learning

4 Replies

Anjalee (LAW student)     04 January 2010

Dear Mr. Rao,

I must appreciate that it is very good example given by you. However it is the mind and intellect which reasoning here...

While we all know that smoking is bad for our health. Yet some people want to smoke they reason that we are all going to die anyways then why not enjoy smoking & die (this their mind speaking)

We also know that the chances of having cancer & other fatal dieases is higher in smokers then in non-smokers. That means the cost of suffering is higher than cost of enjoying in life. (this one's intellect tells what is right action & what is bad action & what would be the consequences if we chose either of the action) 

Coming back to your example. There is nothing wrong or right while praying & smoking OR smoking & praying only consequences would be that Max will suffer with ill-health because of his smoking and will blame it on GOD that despite he prayed he yet had to suffer......

O. Haridasan (Service)     04 January 2010

I think it is a good example of a leading questions  without their being branded so by the defence advocate

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     04 January 2010

Dear Anjalee

Dont know what makes you dive seriously into a joke and comeback with a philosophy - A joke is a joke just to laugh :) No serious comments or interpretations.

Anjalee (LAW student)     06 January 2010

I apologize to Mr. Rao, incase my comments are spoiling the Pun of the Joke. I still state that it is a very beautiful joke.

As regards to my comments on the joke, my purpose was to share the fact of life that how beautifully our mind plays games with us & tendency of mind to blame it on others and this joke itself represents a beautiful example of it & that’s what I wanted to appreciate about this joke.

It is my mistake that I did not convey this thought properly and I request the future readers not to read my comments as defensive mechanism to this joke.  

Regards,

Anjalee

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register