Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Babla (Stm)     20 February 2014

Termination while on medical leave

Honorable Members,

Need you opinion how to go ahead. Following are the key elements of my case study
1. Working with an U S mnc in healthcare sector from last 2 years.
2. Got an performance related objection almost 3 months back with inappropriate documentation and answer to related queries.
3. 15 days back i got an surgery done which requires 1 month to 3month recovery period and medical leave .out of that 1 month leave notification has been sent after consent of my Boss on papers.
4. Its been 15th day of my medical leave and i am being threaten to terminate because of performance related to last year, HR head stopped my wages and asked me to come to office though i can not walk as of now. Bed rest medical certificate given by Physician. During telephne conversation it has been told to me either i have to resign or they will terminate with 3 month salary in lieu of notice period. Its an complete voilation of Human rights to the best of my knowledge.

Please help me with justified opinions and concerned lawyers who have speciality in dealing with healthcare sector please ring me on +918447258885

Regards

babla 
New delhi

Learning

7 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 February 2014

What is your designation and nature of duties?

You are in which state?

HO/Redg. Office of the company is in which state?

Does your company have IC, works committee,  and are you member of some union?

Prepare a list of all phone calls with date, time, and details of calling person. Record all such calls.

Download features like ‘True Caller’ and use preferably a smart phone with new memory card.

Be careful to speak the names of the person, company, address, date and let the calling person demand resignation or face termination, and that you have submitted leave application with medical certificate and is duly approved, and payment of your wages have been stopped and should be released immediately in the same manner in your bank a/c immediately. Make a mention that you have already responded to performance thing pertaining to last year and the matter is closed.

Remind that you are sick, bedridden and are being disturbed. Keep some one near you as witness e.g. one family friend and one family member, and if possible some union leader.

If you can maneuver then request o depute your boss/HR  for discussion in person at your residence.

Record the meeting audio/visual.

If you decide to visit the office keep witness and record the meeting.

If you are forced to resign, you may tender notice of resignation only. If you resign with immediate effect company shall be pleased to adjust notice pay and square off your dues.

You have the option to withdraw the resignation immediately after the meeting alleging it was extracted by force, pressure, intimidation, threat.

Keep the recording safely. It can help you to prove malafide intent if company resorts to tactics like Transfer………………………….Termination.

Submit minutes to good offices of appointing authority, MD, Grievance Redressal Committee, internal employees union, works committee………………….

Build record in your favor.

Look for another employment the moment you have recovered.

Termination during medical leave can get termed as bad order.

Sickness is not misconduct.

Performance is dependant on many factors and is so difficult to prove.

If at all you decide to resign tender notice of resignation of 3 months (employee can tender notice of even more than notice period) and mention effective date of resignation.

The company can not accept resignation before expiry of notice period.

You can withdraw resignation before expiry of notice period.

Do you have copy of standing orders applicable to the establishment?  Employer should display it in office and circulate to employees and provide certified copy to employee against a nominal payment say Rs…………………10/-.

Employee or any one can obtain the certified copy from CO (Certifying Officer) which may be DLC in o/o Labor Commissioner at location of redg. Office of the company, against a nominal payment say Rs.3/page.

It shall be appropriate to show job advertisement, job application, selection letter, offer letter, appointment letter, standing orders applicable to the establishment (Certified/Model) and extended to your designation, HR policy, severance/exit policy, service rules and regulation, PIP/Verbal Challenge policy, appraisal, performance related issues and communications, sickness record, increments awarded to you, appreciation mails etc, awards/rewards/incentives earbed.etc…………………………to  your labor consultant/service lawyer in person, give inputs  on all points, and proceed under expert guidance of your lawyer and act with cool and balanced mind to keep the situation in your favor.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 February 2014

Please go by expert Mr. Kumar Doab's advise on the subject for proper reliefs

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 February 2014

well elaborated  by Mr Kumar Doab

Babla (Stm)     21 February 2014

Thank you so Much Mr Kumar Doab...i would like to highlight i have numerous proofs regarding illegal activities of Company. Not only that there was a previous history of this company doing the same thing with an other employee and they were fined heavily. I would like to have a word with you please drop me your mobile no... Regards Babla

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 February 2014

You can speak to your lawyer on the finer details of your case.

The Pro Lawyers with LCI can be accessed and requested on phone.

LCI Expert Mr. Kalaiselvan is a Pro Lawyer.

We had asked for some information.

If you can, you may post the reply to the information sought, and some more inputs might be possible to be given, in this thread. 

You need not to mention the name of the company and your location. You may mention only the state.

First of all make an arrangement to record all calls.

If they have stopped calling, you make a call and drive the discussion and record the call.

Keep the evidence you have cited for use at appropriate time in appropriate forum.

Babla (Stm)     21 February 2014

i am in Delhi state and company HQ is in Gurgaon.

i am a sales executive and designation is Sales Manager...

Regards

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 March 2014

You can access lawyers par excellence at Delhi. It shall be appropriate to proceed under expert advise of your lawyer.

Your lawyer may opine:

-- You are covered as ‘Workman’ as in ID Act and ‘Employee’ as in Delhi Shops and Commercial Establishments Act and standing Orders are applicable to your designation.

--Since you are being threatened you can invoke the provisions of these enactments and pursue remedies as applicable in your case.

--To submit minutes to good offices of appointing authority, MD, Manager/Agent of Employer at Delhi office as shown in registration certificate issued under The Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, Grievance Redressal Committee, internal employees union, works committee………………….lodge complaint on the misconduct of the Line managers/HR and ask to initiate action against them………………….

You may go thru:

>>> The Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954

2. Definitions:

(7) “employee” means a person wholly or principally employed, whether directly or otherwise, and whether for wages (payable on permanent, periodical, contract, piecerate or commission basis) or other consideration, about the business of an establishment and includes an apprentice and any person employed in a factory but not governed by the Factories Act, 1948 (43 of 1948), and for the purpose of any matter regulated by this Act, also includes a person discharged or dismissed whose claims have not been settled in accordance with this Act;

(8) “employer” means the owner of any establishment about the business of which persons are employed, and where the business of such establishment is not directly managed by the owner, means the manager, agent or representative of such owner in the said business;

(15) “inspector” means an Inspector appointed under section 36 of the Act;

(16) “leave” means leave as provided for under this Act

Sub-section (16)—”Leave”

3. Rights and privileges under other law, etc., not affected.

19. Time and conditions for payment of wages.—(1) Every employer or his agent or the manager of any establishment shall fix periods in respect of which wages to the employees shall be payable and such person shall be responsible for the payment to persons employed by him or all wages required to be paid under this Act.

(2) No wage period so fixed, shall exceed one month.

(3) The wages of every employee in any shop or establishment shall be paid on a working

day before the expiry of the seventh day of the last day of the wage period in respect of which the

wages are payable.

(4) All wages shall be paid in cash.

(5) Where the employment of any person is terminated by or on behalf of the employer, the

wages earned by him shall be paid before the expiry of the second working day after the day on

which his employment is terminated.

21. Claims relating to wages

22. Leave.—(1) Every person employed in an establishment shall be entitled

[If leave policy of the company offer superior benefits then pursue the leave policy, too.]

23. Wages during Leave

30. Notice of Dismissal

COMMENTS

(a) Applicability of section 30

The protection of the provisions of the section is available to all persons who fall within the definition of the term “employee” as given in section 2(7) of the Act and who have put in three months’ continuous services. In the absence of any standing orders or any contract between the employer and the contesting respondent containing any particular terms or conditions, the conditions of service of the employee relating to his employment in an establishment at Delhi are covered by section 30(1) of Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954

(c) Acts and omissions constituting misconduct

For the purpose of section 30, for the term, “misconduct” reference be made to Rule 13 of the

Delhi Shops and Establishments Rules but the list is not exhaustive in view of the word ‘includes’.

(d) Section 30 of the Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954 does not exclude the

application of the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947

33. Records.

COMMENTS

(a) Particulars and forms of the records required to be maintained under section 33

Failure to maintain the records in the prescribed form and in the prescribed manner,……………………… or a record of the hours worked and the amount of leave taken by end of………………

The register of employment and wages is required to be kept in Form ‘G’ duly bound and pages serially numbered. Where, however, the opening and closing hours are ordinarily uniform,

the employer may maintain such register in Form ‘H’ alongwith a separate register of wages and

record of leave in Form ‘I’

All such registers and records are required to be exhibited at the place of work

(c) Failure to maintain records

(d) Can an Inspector require an employer to produce the record in his office for

inspection?

35. Inspection of Registers and calling for information

37. Powers and duties of the Inspector

(a) Powers of the Inspector

(b) Duties of the Inspector

(b) that the registers, records and notices required to be maintained or displayed under the

Act or the Rules are properly maintained or displayed;

(e) that the provisions of the Act and the Rules regarding leave are property observed;

(g) that the provisions of the Act relating to the payment of overtime are duly observed;

(h) that the wages and other dues are being paid to employees in time as required under

the Act;

41. Wilfully making false entries.

43. Determination of employer for the purpose of this Act.—(

And approach Inspector under The Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954.

>>> Model Standing Orders: 9.           Leave

10.          Casual leave

11.          Payment of wages

13.          Termination of employment

14.          Disciplinary action for misconduct

15.          Complaints

17.  Liability of 17[employer].--The [1][employer] of the establishment shall personally be held responsible for the proper and faithful observance of the standing orders.

18.          Exhibition of standing orders:

If standing orders are certified then you may pursue these.

And approach O/o Labor Commissioner.

>>> Payment of Wages Act; Sec13A and 2: 3*[(i), (ia), 3*[(vi), 3, 4 ,5, 13a, 14, 15, 16, 17A, 20………….. 

And approach :Inspector under Payment of Wages Act: applicable to all employees drawing wages up to Rs.18000/pm as per def. of wages in the Act………………and if the Inspector agrees to cover you may immediately submit Form’N’ for recovery of wages.

--- O/o Labor Commissioner

>>> Service Rules and Regulations, HR Policy, Conduct and Discipline Rules of the establishment……………..

[1] Subs by ibid

Attached File : 741746579 delhi shops & establishments act, 1954.pdf, 741746579 model standing orders industrial employment standing orders rules.pdf, 741746579 payment of wages act 1936.pdf downloaded: 184 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register